What's new
What's new

What is this

bcguide

Plastic
This tool came with a celtic 12 lathe I bought and I have no idea what it is or is used for.
I hope the pictures come up.

Attachments

• 20200531_203036.jpg
    20200531_203036.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 20200531_203007.jpg
    20200531_203007.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 360
  • 20200531_202944.jpg
    20200531_202944.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 20200531_142056.jpg
    20200531_142056.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 293
  • 20200531_142044.jpg
    20200531_142044.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 275
ok the pictures worked. I have a question on the chuck to. I picked it up at a yard sale thinking I'd use it to build a welding positioner. Any question is ias i I am not a machinist l have never seen jaws like this before and am wondering what they were built for.

One more picture. It has calibration markings so I don't think it is a stop.

Attachments

• 20200531_203026.jpg
    20200531_203026.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 218
Lots of carriage stops will have a graduated stop rod. Pretty sure dalmationgirl has it right.

Yours looks home (but nicely) made. See if you can find a way to clamp it to the front ways of your lathe.

Adjustable stop, so you can dial in exactly where to stop. What is odd is that it appears to be a stop for travel towards tailstock, never seen that, but not saying it does not exist. Without having it in my hand, that is my best guess.

Looks like a carriage stop to me, I have at least one on all my lathes and 3 of them have 2. I don't think it's for travel stop on Tail stock side, all my stops except the one on my L&S lathe have the dial away from the carriage just like the one in the photo for use on the Head Stock side. The shaft simply protrudes out the other side, could be someone put the shaft in backwards. My L&S has the dial in the middle, shaft protrudes quite a bit on the left hand side so when using it on the tail stock side the shaft is long enough to clear the clock.

Getting back to the chuck, the FPU Bial logo is the old logo for Bison in Poland. I have a NOS Bison 6 1/4" 3-jaw chuck that was made with special jaws for balancing automobile wheel/tire assemblies. I was able to get a NOS set of Bison master jaws on eBay and they take standard American T&G top jaws, either hard or soft.

These jaws might fit, but I think I paid less for mine. Bison Hard Master Jaws for Scroll Chuck 6" 3-Jaw 3 Piece Set 7-885-306 | eBay

Larry

All my stops are "Calibrated" Dial is graduated 50 lines and numbered every 10. Screw is 20TPI therefore each graduation is 1/1000" I use the graduations quite often. Also have owners manuals for all my lathes and every one shows a graduated stop. So if it looks like a graduated stop it is one!

The jaws on the chuck look like an unfinished set of "soft jaws". They come in a number of different heights and nose configurations. Here's a link to some soft jaws on the Monster Jaws website:

American Stnd Tongue & Groove - MonsterJaws Mfg

Note they come in a number of different configurations. The ones you have look like those normally bored for specific size round stock. It looks like someone started to bore them, but didn't complete the job.

I'm still thinking brake lathe chuck (although tire balancer might be other option), if its a BL chuck it would have a plain flat back and 1" bore thru chuck. If that is what it is, and you don't feel like buying a new set of jaws, I might have a use for it.

The jaws are all one piece that is there is nothing bolted to the jaws.
I should be able to have a look at them tonight or tomorrow and will post a picture of the back side

I agree that it for the tail stock side of the carriage. Bcguide, when you said it is a celtic lathe, do you mean it is a French made lathe? My South Bend Nordic lathe was made in France. It has the same style slant way as yours.

JH

Depends on how it's constructed as to it being on the tail stock side or Head stock side. Photo in my Pratt&Whitney model C lathe manual shows the dial on the head stock side and the stop on the lathe is the same as in the photo. Hendey is opposite yet I use the same stop on the tail stock side with no problem. If my memory is correct the threads for the Hendey and the P&W stops are in the body not the Dial so it makes no difference which side the dial is on. My L&S if memory again is correct the Dial is threaded, it's in the middle of the body and can't move left or right. It's made so that it too can be used on either side!

Dalmatiangirl here is a picture of the bike of the chuck.20200603_203346.jpg i am thinking I would like to find some jaws for it and keep it.

James
My lathe is a celtic 12 made by mondiale lathes in belgium.
They are still in business. I contacted them looking for a manual for the lathe lathe they had me send the serial number and they sent me a pdf manual in English.
If it doesn't break any rules I would send to anyone who could ad it to the collective list of manuals.

Back