What's new
What's new

What did I buy !!

Raybmarlow

Cast Iron
So I watch auctions , as if I need any more stuff and I see this, I put a bid in as I was curious , looked different, long and short, I won and will pick up this week, it appears ( to me) to be some sort of broach, the chuck / headstock seems to index , the “ tail “ moves something back and forth, and has a carriage that can be moved in and out for diameter, any ideas ?
cf79d9726145700c7433c52682600052.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I watch auctions , as if I need any more stuff and I see this, I put a bid in as I was curious , looked different, long and short, I won and will pick up this week, it appears ( to me) to be some sort of broach, the chuck / headstock seems to index , the “ tail “ moves something back and forth, and has a carriage that can be moved in and out for diameter, any ideas ?
cf79d9726145700c7433c52682600052.jpg

Rifling machine?

Between this and one of those CNC machines which will cut an AR-15 Lower Receiver - you'll be on someone's list for sure!

Joe in NH

Thanks Joe, that was the opinion of a fellow machinist today, can’t wait to get it and investigate

The headstock is designed to swivel left or right about 15 degrees i would guess. It may also tilt downward too. All that implies bevel gear planer, at least by the parallel depth method. The indexing plate looks difficult to change though, so I don't think it was for making gears. Some sort of tapered spline. or maybe flutes, like for a tapered reamer?

I know of no reason a rifling machine would have a set-over. Are the crank and spindle geared together or turn independently? If geared together, is it easy to change the ratio between the two?

I guess it looks to me like a bevel gear shaper if the spindle and crank are geared together and easily changed for ratio.

Doubt it's a bevel gear shaper, as the head appears to only tilt maybe 20 degrees or so.

That same angle also throws out the "rifling" idea- guns don't typically use tapered bores, and certainly not ones with 10-20 degrees of taper. :D

There also wouldn't be any reason to have what appears to be something like six inches of X and Y travel on the reciprocating head.

Okay, let's look at this. The length of stroke can be adjusted. That center boss on the ram makes me think the work head can either be extended (rack and pinion) or rotated (worm gear.) We'll have to wait for a more in-dept report from the purchaser on that one.

I'd also like to see more of the work head- what kind of tool does it appear to hold? A broach? A point? Key slotter?

The head appears to only rotate in order to index, not spin while working like a lathe chuck. It also appears to have an 8-position indexing plate, so whatever it cuts, it was only ever designed to do so in either two, four or eight points.

... I have no bloody idea what that thing was made for. :D

Doc.

It does have a vertical slide on top of the cross feed, perhaps used when the workhead is nodded. However, the big cross feed dial, and the depth stop on the cross feed make me think that was the primary method of infeed during a cut. I cannot think of anything other than cutting flutes on tapered reamers.

allan

I seem to remember seeing a picture of a machine similar to that one in an old magazine recently but can’t remember where I saw it .
I’ll look some more later.
I was also thinking along the lines of an machine for oil grooving bronze bushings.
I did turn this up from one I looked at recently not the same but maybe more pictures would show how it might work
Canadian machinery and metalworking
There are commercial versions if you try a Google image search for internal oil grooving machine
Swivelling of the head might allow for tapered bushings.

All great input as I expected here with all your knowledge, I am a bit tickled that it’s unsolved, I truly was expecting someone to just blurt out what it was. I will be picking this up most likely Wednesday or Thursday, a lot of your suggestions seem viable, yet until I actually have it in my possession to dissect and share more descriptive photos we can all keep guessing. I’ve noticed in one of the pictures that the bed Has some riding in maybe this will show us makers name and enlighten us to something If not at least the industry that it was created for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since Doc pointed out the work head has a 8 position indexing wheel, I'm going to say its a spline, keyway, and keyseat cutter. That looks to be a pretty stout way for the workhead, just right for a shaper ram. The cross slide allows different diameters, and the swivel of the headstock allows cutting tapers.

For short money I'd own it too, if nothing else just to have something to puzzle out.

Back