What's new
What's new

Burke machine tool conneaut ohio, address?

sandiapaul

Titanium
Does anyone know where their factory was located in Conneaut? I found a reference online that they moved there in 1910. Just curious as I have several relatives in that area, and I thought I'd goo see if the place is still there one day.

Thanks!

Hi Paul,

According to an old ad, 520 Sandusky St, Conneaut. Right around the corner from the Conneaut Area Historical Society.

Andy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Found this as well, from the Conneaut edition of that "Images in America" series of books that you often see for sale in gift shops.

9afcc40e795bc7a0e5003eeb6d820fb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not much there now...

Yup, I doo frequent Conneaut, Ohio once in awhile (the White Turkey drive in for rootbeer)

Pretty must rust belt town, Home of Astatic Microphones as well.

I recall as a kid hearing of a new owner (young investor), fired everyone on Friday, rehired (for less money) on Monday.
It made the news, as it was unheard of back then.

The women that worked their complained that they couldn't even retrieve their personal belongings. Dirt poor town, minimum wage jobs.

I knew this was the next new thing to come in America.

West of there, the big town, Ashtabula…..lot's of crime, thugs/gangs from Cleveland.

It's the only place I know that has this railroad track feature (normally only found in model train sets)
Google Maps

a four way cross....this one is a double.

I was driving there (nice neighborhood.....not) and drove past it.

Yup, I know it well. If you zoom out you can see what remains of the PRR roundhouse to the northwest. A bit further zoomed out and you can see the foundation of the NYC roundhouse to the southwest. At that crossing stood OD tower(Ore Dock). My dad grew up there and as a little kid he lived in a house a few blocks from that crossing that was bounded by the NYC, PRR and NKP. Whistles were constant. He, like his dad, worked out of Ashtabula for the NYC.

In this picture you can see OD tower right above where the car is crossing the tracks(you need to click to zoom in) When my dad was twenty something he painted that gas holder tank. He didn't like the job much, he was hired by a friend. One day my dad was alone painting it and he decided he had enough of the job. He painted on the side of the tank:" Apple pie is sure delish, gas holder pie is not my dish". Long time ago...a different world.

NYC315 | John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library | Flickr

Back