Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IrbyJones View Post
    What a fantastic old shop! And it's 10 minutes from my daughter's home in Roanoke. Next time I visit her I'll surely have to drop by this shop!

Irby
    Please contact me before you do 5403140800 as I'm not there every day

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    I noticed what looks like an old Brown and Sharpe milling machine with the universal dividing head and the collection of cutters on the wall behind it.
    I would suggest that if you are going to be repairing any old machinery or making any experimental work , that you try and keep that machine and the collection of cutters intact .
    This is very good advice. Finding an early B&S mill intact with all of the tooling to make gears is VERY unusual. If you decide to sell it, please try to keep all of the bits together so that someone else can take advantage of it. For making a single special gear this setup is probably as flexible, if not more flexible, than anything more modern.

3. Likes rj1939, Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very neat pictures of the shop. Some of the pictures, particularly of the two Hendey lathe pictures are in the area of industrial 'art' photography in my opinion.

Looking at the overview pictures of the shop, it looks like there are still 5 machine tools under the lineshaft on the one side of the building, being the Gray planer, American radial arm drill press, the Ryerson lathe, Hendey lathe, and Brown & Sharpe mill. The Bullard vertical boring mill is on the other side of building from the lineshaft and doesn't appear it is powered by it anymore? - All the rest of the machine tools look like they have their own motors or were converted to individual motor drive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Took some photos and a video of the planer over the weekend, check it out!

G. A. Gray Planer: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbkKVTS

Bullard Machine: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAH7tmf

Lodge and Shipley 18" Lathe: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjWPNfZ

6. Likes Mud, lienjohn, vlakken, RCPDesigns, IrbyJones and 3 others liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought id also share this neat little lathe. I sold it to a gentleman a few weeks ago. A Seneca Falls NY Star lathe.

Pictures: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjbsQzo

8. Likes vlakken, steelfronts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On your Brown & Sharpe universal milling machine, it looks like a no. 1 mill, but might be a no. 2. Here are a couple scans out of a 1925 Brown & Sharpe catalog of the two different sizes. I have also included the picture you took of your mill to compare to the catalog pages.

brown-sharpe-universal-milling-machine-no.-1-size.jpg brown-sharpe-universal-milling-machine-size-no.-2-catalog-n.jpg brown-sharpe-universal-horizontal-milling-machine.jpg

Also on your Hendey lathe, if you can get the serial number off of it there is a person on this forum that goes by hendeyman that can date your lathe and who first bought it, as he has the original records and drawings for most of the lathes they built. The serial number is on the right end, between the V-way and flat-way.

10. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On the Pond / Niles it says Time Saver Lathe

Here is another version circa 1927

American Machinist - Google Books

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the photography, and I like the old tools too. Cool old shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fascinating. And HUGE applause for the original poster that they're trying to learn what this equipment is and find it homes.

14. Likes lienjohn, Brian Smith liked this post
    Country
    BELGIUM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did some research online and came across the following image, pretty sure its that same as the Bullard

s-l1600.jpg

16. Likes rtwhiteside liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wondered what happened to the shop, I noticed the sign was gone the last time I was by there. I live way to close, I may be in trouble!! The vertical lathe is of interest, been looking for one. I'll be in Roanoke Monday morning.
    Ben

18. Likes RCPDesigns, rtwhiteside liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default work it

First clean it up. get the equipment in working order There are still pieces that need to be made the manual way. Repair work can be done -- GOD MAN use that thing on top of your shoulders -- this could still be a gold mine

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am close about 50 miles get in touch when I can come from Bassett va thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, The pictures are very nice.
    I'm interested in a few machines if you are selling.
    I will send you a private message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please contact me at 717.669.7109, ask for Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a fabulous place with and fantastic photos so thanks for that! The B&S seemingly complete with working gear indexer and all cutters is just insane. The photos also bring home a point that fascinates me for some reason: The whole notion of storage cabinets is quite recent. There is just so much stuff out on surfaces and the shelves and cubby holes are so rudimentary. So the overall impression in this very well equipped shop is just general chaos.

Lista needs to make a cabinet color option suitable for a shop like this. Maybe aged black crackle or bare sheet metal with the perfect orange glow of just a hint of rust (or is it grease) like the radial arm drill here. I've had the experience of renovating an old shop which used 60's kitchen cabinets to store tooling and replacing it all with 13 Lista cabinets. The effect was amazing.

24. Likes Warren, rtwhiteside liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lodge and Shipley

Good morning gentlemen, I had a buyer lined up for this 18" Large and Shapely a few weeks ago, he was going to use it at their truck repair shop to do driveshaft work. Well he failed to contact me with an affirmative yes or no after showing a large amount of interest so shes back on the market, please share and help find a good home for her!

18" Lodge and Shipley Metal Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjWPNfZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    This one? It's a universal mill and also has the geartrain for the dividing head installed, looks like it might have been last used to cut a helical gear. it's really unusual anymore to see all that in one place and intact. I can only imagine how many precious bits and pieces are scattered around that building and in danger of being displaced, making something else unusable. Tay - I hope you find someone(s) to help you sort all that out! Perhaps contact some of the machine shop museums?

T
    I had the same machine, B&S No2. It had the slotting attachment, Universal Head Attachment, Supports, tons of arbors, dividing head with complete set of gears and arms. It had a serial number of 7xx and I dated it to 1908 timeline. Great little machine, very accurate to this day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3ec3ld3m85k25jc5mecctb757688033551a5e.jpg   3fc3i23l85n75kd5h7cct7f6e4e9e6ca311e4.jpg  

27. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rtwhiteside View Post
    Cheers!

Pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskxsTKYr
    I need to ask - what equipment are you using to take these photos? They are all so well lit and evenly exposed, plus terrifically clearly focused in a really difficult environment. Plus the colors are amazing. I'd love to be able to approximate those results somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I need to ask - what equipment are you using to take these photos? They are all so well lit and evenly exposed, plus terrifically clearly focused in a really difficult environment. Plus the colors are amazing. I'd love to be able to approximate those results somehow.
    So would I....