What's new
What's new

What does this tool do?

Boringgeoff

Plastic
Hi all,
Two tools here which I think both do the same job. The brace, unbranded, is a foot long and has a 3 1/2" sweep. The socket on the business end is 1/2" diameter and the central hole is 1/4" and the prongs(?) 1/8" wide and extend about 5/32". I originally thought it may be a valve grinding tool or a split nut wrench but now unsure, a friend thinks it might be for priming an oil pump.
The other fits in a brace and looks pretty well the same as the first, slightly larger 3/4" wide and 5/16" aperture but the prong profiles are opposite to each other. This is marked "made In USA" on the body, on the tang "1 1/2 & 2" and what looks like the Cleveland Twist Drill Co diamond logo on the neck.
Any help identifying these two will be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• valve grinder 006.jpg
    valve grinder 006.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 298
  • valve grinder 005.jpg
    valve grinder 005.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Small brace 001.jpg
    Small brace 001.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Small brace 003.jpg
    Small brace 003.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 281
  • Valve Grinder 007.jpg
    Valve Grinder 007.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 260
Definitely not cutting tools, to my eye at least.

I don't think they are valve grinding tools. If they are, they are incomplete and the part you've got is the driver for a missing actual grind head.

Split nut or slotted nut wrench, presumably for position adjustment rather than locking, would be my guess.

One is on a speed handle and they other had as shank to go in a brace. This says to me they're intended to turn more with less torque than a wrench. Maybe they're drivers for another tool?

The business end of the brace seems quite long. Entirely feasible that it could drop down a distributor hole and prime the oil pump. I have a rod I use in an electric drill for the same purpose. OTOH, I didn't know anybody actually did that.

Thanks for your answers so far. In the 80's - 90's I owned a Ford Louisville with 3208 Cat engine and seem to remember after a major overhaul the mechanic removed a plug and inserted a tool to engage the pump and prime the oil galleries prior to firing the engine up. My friend also thinks it's a pump priming tool, I'm happy to go with that.
The other tool that goes in a brace has the "1 1/2 & 2" stamped on it which makes me think it's made to fit two different sized (things) maybe one of a set.
Cheers.

Back