Login to Your Account
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What does this tool do?

Hi all,
    Two tools here which I think both do the same job. The brace, unbranded, is a foot long and has a 3 1/2" sweep. The socket on the business end is 1/2" diameter and the central hole is 1/4" and the prongs(?) 1/8" wide and extend about 5/32". I originally thought it may be a valve grinding tool or a split nut wrench but now unsure, a friend thinks it might be for priming an oil pump.
    The other fits in a brace and looks pretty well the same as the first, slightly larger 3/4" wide and 5/16" aperture but the prong profiles are opposite to each other. This is marked "made In USA" on the body, on the tang "1 1/2 & 2" and what looks like the Cleveland Twist Drill Co diamond logo on the neck.
    Any help identifying these two will be much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails valve-grinder-006.jpg   valve-grinder-005.jpg   small-brace-001.jpg   small-brace-003.jpg   valve-grinder-007.jpg  

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can chamfer tubes with them. Probably need a sharpening grind.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Definitely not cutting tools, to my eye at least.

I don't think they are valve grinding tools. If they are, they are incomplete and the part you've got is the driver for a missing actual grind head.

Split nut or slotted nut wrench, presumably for position adjustment rather than locking, would be my guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One is on a speed handle and they other had as shank to go in a brace. This says to me they're intended to turn more with less torque than a wrench. Maybe they're drivers for another tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aren't they for installing tamper proof screws?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The business end of the brace seems quite long. Entirely feasible that it could drop down a distributor hole and prime the oil pump. I have a rod I use in an electric drill for the same purpose. OTOH, I didn't know anybody actually did that.

7. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one with the two raised edges that go in slots does look like it is for priming an oil pump.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your answers so far. In the 80's - 90's I owned a Ford Louisville with 3208 Cat engine and seem to remember after a major overhaul the mechanic removed a plug and inserted a tool to engage the pump and prime the oil galleries prior to firing the engine up. My friend also thinks it's a pump priming tool, I'm happy to go with that.
    The other tool that goes in a brace has the "1 1/2 & 2" stamped on it which makes me think it's made to fit two different sized (things) maybe one of a set.
    Cheers.