What's new
What's new

What drill press is this?

Looks to have a Jacobs 0 chuck (5/32" capacity), so it is a sensitive high speed drill for small holes. Nice nameplate on the front, so easy enough to identify for a person standing in front of it and/or taking better pictures.

Larry

Nope, I'm not a troll. Its at an estate sale and the auctioneer cant tell me the name.. or doesn't want to be bothered. I'd like a precision drill press and am trying to figure out if its worth the 2hr trip and really early am wakeup to go get it. I thought someone might recognize it by the color/shape so I could research it.

Looks to have a Jacobs 0 chuck (5/32" capacity), so it is a sensitive high speed drill for small holes. Nice nameplate on the front, so easy enough to identify for a person standing in front of it and/or taking better pictures.

Larry

maybe for drilling holes in electronic circuit boards

Welp, I went over and took a look at it today. Its a MSC 951203. I don't know much about it yet as info online is sparse. I don't know if they are any good, but it was too cute to pass up. It was $105; not sure if that's a good price, but I'm happy. I love the speed control (good call magpie), auto on/off feature, and it appears to be well made. Thanks for the info guys!

More pics (not mine):
MANHATTAN MSC 951203, 3,500 to 12,00 RPM, 180 W, Yukiwa 3MM Chuck, Bench Drill - $239.99 | PicClick

Nope, I'm not a troll. Its at an estate sale and the auctioneer cant tell me the name.. or doesn't want to be bothered. I'd like a precision drill press and am trying to figure out if its worth the 2hr trip and really early am wakeup to go get it. I thought someone might recognize it by the color/shape so I could research it.

Unless you have a real need or desire for a limited capacity, high speed machine, then no it isn't worth the ride.
Not going to be a useful as drill-press with a capacity of 1/16 to 1/2" and speed range to match.

About thirty years ago, I visited an Amish machine shop near Grabill, IN. They had a diesel engine pumping oil to hydraulic motors running a bank of large multi-spindle screw machines. I think hydraulic hose fittings were their main product. As a supplement to their income, they made a line of turned brass objects that they hoped to sell to tourists. One was a milk can-shaped thing with two handles. It was heavy solid brass, not sheet brass. The handles were attached with maybe 1/16" pins driven into holes in the body of the can. I was amused to see the holes were drilled with a Jet sensitive drill press with a 110 V motor run from a generator somewhere. That was the only time I ever saw one of those drill presses outside of the catalog.

They called the brass business Amish Kraft Co. and I found some of their milk cans for sale. Amish Kraft Company Solid Brass Miniatures/milk | Etsy
They may ride behind horses, but they know how to use modern tech. Amish packager takes hands-on approach | Automation World

When I saw the original post in this thread, I remembered the Amish Jet, but could not recall exactly what it looked like. Today I pulled a couple of Jet catalogs out of the files and took pictures of the two different Jet sensitive drill presses in them. The 82 catalog had the 7" swing Jet-6 drill and the 1993 catalog had the 11" swing JDP-11HS. You can see they have some resemblance to the Manhattan Supply Co. (MSC now) drill, especially the direct mount DC motor.

Larry

1982 Jet-6.jpg 1982 Jet-6 spec.jpg 1993 JDP-11HS.jpg 1993 JDP-11HS spec.jpg

Well.. genius-late-to-the-party. You missed that he was LOOKING for one of this sort? Might hint he already knows the difference and HAS other DP's?

How could you possibly determine that from his posts?
You flap you lips so much, you couldn't possibly hear somebody else talking in the same room with you, even if the room was empty and he was shouting through a megaphone.

Someday Termite,....someday.

Lol Reggie, a couple posts up from yours, I mention I purchased it already. But I do find it interesting that thermite has jumped on most of my posts to lambast me in some way, and no one with authority ever calls him on it. I suppose its because he usually chimes in later with something useful?! :) Anywhoo, never mind that, I'm sure he likes the attention any way it comes, so, there you go my friend.

I honest to God have no use for this thing. Since I heard of precision bench drill presses, I've wanted it mostly because its small and adorable, and I am innately drawn to such things. I don't run a pro shop, or make money from my tools per se like many of you, but I do enjoy tinkering and I find that the more capability I have, the more I can do. I eventually do use most of the weird tools I have bought for kicks. I like searching for, collecting, cleaning, and storing tools as much as I do using them. Is that wrong?

With that said, I think it would be awesome to use this little drill for m2-m4 tapping in ABS. I do a lot of 3d printing and often need to clean and tap holes. I really doubt there is tapmatic at this scale, but it has a DC motor, so I can maybe rig up some sort of quick reversing switch. Probably not.

From the same auction, I picked up a $180 machinist tool box, which was a little steep for me. I bought it on a whim without any real investigation into the contents (as you do in the intense first 5 minutes of a tool-based estate sale). It turns out it was pretty loaded with Starrett and B&S stuff, much of which I didn't already have, so that was a nice surprise. It was like Christmas walking through the drawers of this old box. I found a ton of reamers, taps, a 10" sine, Starrett taper gages and micrometers, B&S gage blocks, Mitutoyo v blocks, indicators, etc. There was all of the little normal stuff too like calipers, maybe 30 end mills in cases, tiny drill bit sets for the press, and, I shit you not, like 30 rulers of varying quality and scale. Why did he need so many 6" rulers?! He had a lot of Threadwell couterbores, some of which are two-piece with a set screw which I need to figure out how to use (fun). There was even a first gen Starrett indicator in perfect shape with accessories, which is really cool. This fellow took really good care of his tools, nearly every tool was rust free.

The box it self is not labeled, but the clasps have a little Eagle icon and bird on them. It looks like wood, but its metal sheathed. I'll likely sell that to try and recoup some cash.

I also snagged a $50 Collins Micro-flat surface plate. Its in great shape and quite pretty, well, pretty by surface plate standards.. its still a hunk of granite.

As I was walking out the door, I randomly noticed in the living room a huge Starrett V block and clamp in perfect shape. Snagged that for $15.

Ok, now I'm blabbing about my score like Mr. Pete. Anyway, really glad I made the long trip, and thanks for the help guys!

Back