What's new
What's new

What is a fair price for this arbor press

swatkins

Titanium
Friend of mine is closing up his shop. I could us this press but it's not like I really need it.

Looks like it's a Famco W press. The gear is loose but not damaged. The base of the press is solid with no holes or rotating plate.

Can't find a comparable sale on eBay so I'm wondering what would be a fair price to offer him for it..

20151105_114318_resized.jpg

The base of the press is solid with no holes or rotating plate.

View attachment 155730

I can't tell from the picture how this press is made, but all the of the ones I've come across have an opening under the ram, so a broach or shaft can pass through the base. You're saying this one dose NOT? That really limits it's usefullness, and I would pass if that is the case. If I'm misunderstanding, and it does have an opening, I'd agree with the prices above. If it's the ratcheting type, a bit more.

I gave $175 plus buying the seller lunch for mine just like it a couple years ago.

Edit: Mine has a hole and a rotary plate.

Last edited:
Without an opening that allows spindles/shafts to be pressed through bearings, and out the bottom, I personally find this style of press not worth the effort. I had one just like it, and I found it to be useless in 75% of the times that I needed it.

So, depending on the type of work you're doing, you may find this press to be extremely limiting, or just what the good doctor ordered. Only you know that....

Auction finds of this size are between $100 and $150.....but less because of the lack of an opening.

I guess I somehow missed the line about no notch in the base or rotary plate. Not saying that makes it useless but a whole lot less versatile/valuable

Back