What's new
What's new

What say you? Should I save it?

One guy, just can't save it all. Having said that, I have practically buried myself in iron. I just don't want to be the one to send it to china.

Scrap it and all those carbon steel drills on the wall as well.

I know it's not practical, dangerous and OSHA has banned them forever... BUT it's really a piece of history and to me a work of art...

I'm at the point in my life where it does not have to make me money anymore and I can take the time to play with things like this... :)

I wonder how the first owner felt when it was delivered over a 100 years ago... To him it must have looked like the Space Shuttle :)

SAVE IT
That was a easy question
Love it
Stay safe out there
God Bless,John

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I know it's not practical, dangerous and OSHA has banned them forever... BUT it's really a piece of history and to me a work of art...

I'm at the point in my life where it does not have to make me money anymore and I can take the time to play with things like this... :)

I wonder how the first owner felt when it was delivered over a 100 years ago... To him it must have looked like the Space Shuttle :)

Old cast iron is a work of art to me also. I would save that in a heart beat, even though I have no where to put it and have two drill presses already.

Remove the rust and it would look brand new.

Cool old drill, I have one just like it in my shop. Has the table casting been brazed or is it just crusty? Around here those kind of machines pop up quite often, and I might look for one that hasn't been so abused. That being said it prob still drills holes just fine.

And, those "nasty carbon steel drills" have worked with that drill and thousands like it for a hundred years. Why are they suddenly all bad?

Mostly because some folks don't know how to use them, and have been trained to automatically consider "carbon steel" to be unusable junk, despite the last 200 years of productive use.

Besides, half of them are probably HSS, maybe more.

I will go pick up the drill on Sunday :)

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that I will probably have to rob the base off the one I have and adapt it to the new one.. Hopefully the column is the same size and it will bolt right up but I can always make an adaptor ring if needed..

Then there is the problem of the table... I just know they have destroyed the original if it was bad enough to weld a plate to cover it up.... Might find a lathe face plate close to that size, I did just buy a 17" one off of Ebay but that is for another cool project..

Here is a short clip of the one in the shop now and the damage that has been done to it's table...

Back