What's new
What's new

What is it? Thread tool?

fishoot

Plastic
Please check the pictures to help me identify this tool. The one in the picture is marked: "1-2-13", which I take to be 1/2x13 thread and the other marking is: "Heimann Mfg. Co., Urbana, Ohio. Any idea what this is?IMG_4405.jpg

Transfer punch for threaded holes - in your case what looks to be 1/2'' 13 (UNC)

If it works like I think it does we just used grub screws reversed into the threaded holes.

One job I worked on had " wear plates " that had to be regularly replaced. They were held in place by about ten 1/2" countersunk Allen screws. When we were fitting new plates to the existing tapped holes we just put inverted grub screws ( the ones with the ring of serrations on the bottom ) into the holes so they stood up proud by about 1/8".

The new plates fitted into a recess at the sides so it was easy to give the plate a few sharp bangs with a hide hammer and your new plate was marked out ready for drilling. Just centre punch the middle of the little mark the ring of serrations made.

Regards Tyrone.

Funny thing, when I was building dies (not using cnc), these were essential tools, along with transfer punches. Now, between doing programming, and the more widespread use of cnc machines to make components and such, my transfer punches sit collecting dust. :codger:

If it works like I think it does we just used grub screws reversed into the threaded holes.

One job I worked on had " wear plates " that had to be regularly replaced. They were held in place by about ten 1/2" countersunk Allen screws. When we were fitting new plates to the existing tapped holes we just put inverted grub screws ( the ones with the ring of serrations on the bottom ) into the holes so they stood up proud by about 1/8".

The new plates fitted into a recess at the sides so it was easy to give the plate a few sharp bangs with a hide hammer and your new plate was marked out ready for drilling. Just centre punch the middle of the little mark the ring of serrations made.

Regards Tyrone.

That is a good dodge for use in through tapped holes.

The Heimann design works a treat in blind tapped holes. If you never saw one, the pointy end has a male hex behind the point and the hardened steel storage case has a socket wrench on one end. They are kind of cheap and can do what they do where pretty much nothing else will do.

Larry

Back