What's new
What's new

What year was this B&S #1 Universal Grinder made?Coming

swatkins

Titanium
Headed back home with a B&S #1 Universal grinder serial number 521-1-636... Could someone please look up the year for this machine... I assume it rather late model as it has several semi modern features like level warning devices and maybe a spark out on it...
Thanks

Headed back home with a B&S #1 Universal grinder serial number 521-1-636... Could someone please look up the year for this machine... I assume it rather late model as it has several semi modern features like level warning devices and maybe a spark out on it...
Thanks

Next to last one in 1964

Have 52Mb manual for the earlier ones if you don''t come up with something newer

Thanks John... I will look around for a newer manual when I get it back to the shop.. It was a 900 mile trip and I'm beat :)

Sunday I'm meeting Mathew to look at your Lathe and take some pictures to try to find it a good home.. I'm full right now and just don't have the space :( Lathes seem to breed around my shop , Sold my Axelson 16 to Don and then was given another Axelson 16 a month after moving the Axelson 20 in.... along with those two there are 2 10EE's waiting their turn at a rebuild , a Hardinge Chucker -in great shape- and another smaller chucker waiting :)

your Lathe and take some pictures to try to find it a good home

GK - just so everyone is up to speed - it either needs years of dedicated "remaking" or it needs promptly to go to scrap. I just ran out of the dedicated remaking time. :D Eighty-second birthday is just around the corner

Lots here if any prospects want to take the time to wade thru the 11 odd years. I'll even say you could not even make a start without a solid understanding of what went before - so far

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...lusman-183407/?highlight=20"+heavy"

have fun

Example - I am not a person that would "fix" a broken SHITTY design when I could replace it with a superior design

DCP_1301crop.jpg20200704_090419.jpg20200704_090824.jpg

Last edited:
GK - just so everyone is up to speed - it either needs years of dedicated "remaking" or it needs promptly to go to scrap. I just ran out of the dedicated remaking time. :D Eighty-second birthday is just around the corner

I will say John, that your Greaves Klushman lathe project was always
a favorite of mine to see when you posted updates. So much thought
went into your fixes. I know how fun that is. Most people do not
understand that thinking and using your brain is fun. Humans get
endorphins when they think. A thinkers high, if you will entertain
the expression. I mean, I do. Maybe the apartment dwellers and
computer game players get their kicks another way. But for me,
thinking is pure joy. That is why I have so many machines in my
shop. Hopefully more functional machines as I finish my many
projects. Ha ! Perhaps the people who reject intellectual things
just don't get it. (Of which there are many in this world).
I must tell you John, you are a large part of the influence of
why I ended up buying my Pratt Whitney 2A. And a small part of
the influence of why I ended up buying my Pratt Whitney 12C.
Smart people play with smart toys. Any fool can be good at
playing Xbox. It takes some dedication to build a shop and
play machine hunter for years on end, until you finally win ! ! !
Thanks John and I hope someone awesome buys your GK lathe.

--Doozer

Lots here if any prospects want to take the time to wade thru the 11 odd years. I'll even say you could not even make a start without a solid understanding of what went before - so far

That is a great thread.

I'm just curious what machine you're buying to slide in its place ! :D

Is this grinder similar to your other one (the one you put a new belt in)?

Funny thing happened on my way to Arkansas. There I was taking my 1940's B&S #13 for a nice drive around the South and I stopped just for a couple of Hours and when I came back the Old #13 had morphed into a 1964 B&S #1 !

I don't know how that happened but suddenly the trailer was 3,000 pound heavier! Old #13 had gained weight and grew too! Darn thing was almost 8 feet long and 5 feed wide! Must be the water in Arkansas! I high tailed it out of there before the pickup turned into an 18 wheeler!

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...lusman-183407/?highlight=20"+heavy"

have fun

Example - I am not a person that would "fix" a broken SHITTY design when I could replace it with a superior design

View attachment 339445View attachment 339446View attachment 339447

John if I only had the room :(

We are working hard to find it a new home! I'm going down to Mathews shop on Sunday and make a video of the Old Girl... Will show it on YouTube. Hopefully someone, with the room and skill, will see it and take it in... After all you have done some great work on it over the years and Mathew is giving it away to someone who will at least try to continue on with the repairs and promise not to scrap her...

Ok, I have failed to find a manual on this machine... I was wanting to find something that told me about the meter that is installed beside the large electrical box facing the operator. There is also a large alarm light box mounted on the top of the electrical cabinet I know nothing about... Any ideas?

grinder.jpg

Nothing so fancy in my old pub, but I would guess any meter would be to give one an idea of how hard you are working the electrics - a brother it would seem to any visual or audible warnings

The old one just exploded the grinding wheel if one was unfortunate enough to do such things

Did your #1 come with any Universal Back Rests? Here are three of them on my (well used to be) #4

P1000645sm.jpg
Another handy item sold with them was this Universal type "holder"

P1000402sm.jpgP1000403sm.jpgP1000354sm.jpg

I'd suppose yours is at least somewhat like so

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2185/18257.pdf

have fun

Unfortunately there were no table tools with the machine. A quick look on eBay showed nothing there also.. Probably have to make some if none can be found. I bought a Cincinnati M2 Tool Grinder, When buying machine tools.... GET THE TOOLING! - YouTube that had a fixture like in your second picture so I'm all set up there...

Yes the grinder looks almost exactly like the one you linked to. The table motor is larger and has a Buck 6 jaw chuck mounted on it now. Only thing missing on the tool itself is the ID boring spindle, the motor is there for it but the spindle is missing. So another hunt for something that might be impossible to find.

Not B & S specific, I'm thinking more universal and tool grinder in general. But I'm wondering if the controls are speed controls. I've seen controls, but usually head stock side to control spindle speed.

Seems odd to be on tail stock side. I wouldn't think any DC motors, but it makes me wonder. Did you happen to look at the motors spec tags ?

Not B & S specific, I'm thinking more universal and tool grinder in general. But I'm wondering if the controls are speed controls. I've seen controls, but usually head stock side to control spindle speed.

Seems odd to be on tail stock side. I wouldn't think any DC motors, but it makes me wonder. Did you happen to look at the motors spec tags ?

No on the motors... Knowing nothing about these machines I am guessing it's something about spark out?

I think the meter on the end of the table is an early form of readout to help control the taper on the work piece being ground to very fine limits .
There was a Cincinnati grinder near me that had something similar and the trade name was something like Swiv-align on that one .
Someone else will likely come along with the right answer.
Jim
P.S.
ELECTRALIGN Trademark of BROWN & SHARPE MANUFACTURING COMPANY - Serial Number 71582020 - Alter
Brown & Sharpe Mfg. Co. - Publication Reprints - Electralign Electronic Alignment of Swivel Table | VintageMachinery.org
Google Search Electralign for more.

Back