What are your thoughts on accumulating tooling - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The right tooling makes near impossible jobs possible.

In my case, being told near a decade ago that I had six months to live, I sold off 19 major tools (lathes, mills, large bandsaws, Hossfeld bender with near every die, 300 amp AC/DC/TIG welder. big plasma cutter, etc. Having fought that illness to a standstill and now using the shop for things like a kids' science program and the occasional prototype, I've generally bought lesser tools as needed for projects. A 10" Sheldon replaced a pristine 13" metric/inch Harrison, a bandsaw with 12" under the guides replaced one with 18" under, a 200 amp TIG for a 300 amp TIG . . . and so on.

It's the tooling I kept that enables me to complete otherwise difficult jobs. One example would be a very wide variety of workholding collets and chucks. Add in drills, reamers, taps, dies, v-blocks, angle blocks, end mills, cutting tools, boring bars, boring heads, facing heads, measuring tools, angle vises, magnetic parallels, bandsaw blades, metal saws, welding rods, . . .

As others have said, you want good tools to begin. But it takes an equal and sometimes greater investment in tooling to get the full use of them. A commercial shop probably can and should buy tooling as it's needed. In a personal shop I agree with most here that it pays to understand what projects are lined up in the years ahead and buy appropriate tooling for them if and when a great opportunity presents itself.

It also pays to understand that when you're dead and gone -- or just retired from shop work -- what remains will likely be worth even fewer cents on the dollar than the bargain price you once paid. Don't buy stuff just because it's cheap. Plan so it's not a burden on your wife and kids.

2. Likes TheOldCar, Ries, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did everything for my family when they were young so now I'm getting my toys Besides they all have great jobs earning what I only dreamed to earn so they can get stuck with my junk pile But I suspect a few will divide up my stuff One more Oak toolbox to fill with great measuring tools is not too much to ask

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    It also pays to understand that when you're dead and gone -- or just retired from shop work -- what remains will likely be worth even fewer cents on the dollar than the bargain price you once paid. Don't buy stuff just because it's cheap. Plan so it's not a burden on your wife and kids.
    You must be joking. I'm making my son the executor and leaving him the problem of disposing of maybe 30 tonnes of machine tools & accessories. And I'm not nearly dead yet, plus I now have an empty centre workshop now the boat is on its mooring. I can buy more machine tools!

PDW

5. Likes Limy Sami, TedinNorfolk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Help me! I just saw this thing on Amazon, have no idea why I need it, but can't control myself!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXZYB1Y..._t5_B01CI3Z2IQ
    I have one. I've used it a handful of times to measure things I couldn't get into any other way. It's nicely made, works smoothly, you can take it apart and reassemble it in different configurations to suit the situation. Excellent toy!

For some reason I remember seeing that it's a Chinese copy of a Russian device.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guys, thanks for all the great perspectives. For me, i think Thermite hit the sweet spot. I think i'll prioritize the hunt on work-holding and tool holding and invest in the cutters in smaller lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I have one. I've used it a handful of times to measure things I couldn't get into any other way. It's nicely made, works smoothly, you can take it apart and reassemble it in different configurations to suit the situation. Excellent toy!

For some reason I remember seeing that it's a Chinese copy of a Russian device.
    Well, my wife ordered it late Monday (she does the Amazon ordering) and it was on the doorstep Tuesday. Pretty quick. The thing is way nicer than it has any right to be and I wouldn't have been at all unhappy if I had paid 2 or 3X the price. I didn't realize how many ways it could be assembled, nor did I see the nice little rack on the back so you can drive the angle precisely with the knob. Now the problem of having way too many tools- where am I going to put it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Now the problem of having way too many tools - where am I going to put it?
    A fallacy - that's really just not enough storage. To that end it seems I've begun hoarding storage cabinets. I have 9 Vidmars and at least a dozen other card file cabinets, Lista benches, rolling drawer units, toolboxes etc. One entire Vidmar is empty until I figure out where to put it, as well as a handful of smaller drawer units. I'm about to start stacking them.

10. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will grudgingly concede that it may be possible to have more than enough engine lathe toolholders, but it is fundamentally impossible to have too much turret lathe tooling. Setting up a job on the latter theres always a bunch that are kind-of what you want but with various yet-to-be-discovered inescapable tradeoffs which combine to make the job more difficult- so you always need lots of options and variations, especially when you have too many ops to fit on the machine... The Brown & Sharp Small Tools book offers well over 100 pages of screw machine/turret tooling... I guess the shops with big budgets could order quanties of that stuff instead of fabbing the bizarre DIY tooling that I keep finding lol.

12. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A fallacy - that's really just not enough storage. To that end it seems I've begun hoarding storage cabinets. I have 9 Vidmars and at least a dozen other card file cabinets, Lista benches, rolling drawer units, toolboxes etc. One entire Vidmar is empty until I figure out where to put it, as well as a handful of smaller drawer units. I'm about to start stacking them.
    A guy at work has discovered a new formula to be edited into the latest Machinery Handbook. It states: Time Over Space Equals Stuff. If you want to see people with Extensive collections look no farther than anyone who lived through The Great Depression. My late Father's mantra was, "Sometime somewhere somebody MIGHT need it." Everything was of value when you had nothing. Me, I'll still do impulsive buys. My wife enjoys going out to eat, I don't see the value in something that will only get flushed. I'd rather have something to show for my money and tools are just cool. Anybody else had a Civil Defense Geiger Counter? If nothing else my kids are going to have a ball cleaning my crap out. Told my son I'm going to put notes in some of my tool cases and boxes just to keep it interesting. Should of told him it will be money but why torture him!

14. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to work for a machinerey dealer, I have 15 vidmar cabinets filled with tooling I have a warehouse with pallet racks filled with tooling. I cant find what I need when I need it. I will be having a big sale of all this crap someday, if you are ever in town stop by you can go shopping through all the obsolete crap.

16. Likes TheOldCar, ncjeeper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    You must be joking. I'm making my son the executor . . . PDW
    My plan got pretty simple once I didn't care what stuff fetched when I'm gone. Introduced my wife to two used tool dealers (machine tools, wood tools). They can sort it out. Four tool-savvy friends (with our wives on friendly terms will all) have a pact -- when any one of us goes, the others will help sort things out. Wife of the last guy to go gets to keep her guy the longest.

18. Likes itsmeBernie, Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    You must be joking. I'm making my son the executor and leaving him the problem of disposing of maybe 30 tonnes of machine tools & accessories. And I'm not nearly dead yet, plus I now have an empty centre workshop now the boat is on its mooring. I can buy more machine tools!

PDW
    Sounds like you could do with a nice double column planer.

Regards Tyrone.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My name is Mark and I'm a toolaholic.

There, I finally admitted it.

21. Likes Limy Sami, gmach10 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark!
    Welcome to the meeting.

23. Likes Limy Sami, Mark Rand, Greg Menke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

God, grant me the Serenity, to accept the things I can not change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.

And the Lord sayeth ''My son, keepeth away from Harbour Freight and you shall have a place in heaven''
    Last edited by Limy Sami; 06-30-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo

25. Likes gmach10 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark!
    Welcome to the meeting.
    Now.. way it works.. is we each go 'round the circle and announce how many days "sober" since our last ebay "tired treasure" purchase...

Unless we've grown too old to remember events for more than a few days.

See "born again toolaholic" effect... and why we have several SETS (or tons...) of the same damned s**t.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    God, grant me the Serenity, to accept the things I can not change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference.
    God grant me the space to store what I cannot refuse, the energy to rearrange the things I can, and the wisdom to find a way over under around and through what I cannot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm reminded of this old joke.

Husband tells wife, "If you marry again, make you don't let some asshole use use all my tools."

Wife in response, "What makes you think I'd marry another asshole?"

29. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    . . . And the Lord sayeth ''My son, keepeth away from Harbour Freight and you shall have a place in heaven''
    On the other hand, a blacksmith might make good use of Hell? Probably need to retreat to Hades for tempering, though. That said, I hesitate to think what sort of anvil or forge, the unsafe Harbor might sell, if at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    I'm reminded of this old joke.

Husband tells wife, "If you marry again, make you don't let some asshole use use all my tools."

Wife in response, "What makes you think I'd marry another asshole?"
    My wife just asked that I promise to never remarry if she dies first.

Guess she doesn't want the risk of being seen to be a bad Wimmin's Union Member.

Y'know.. like renting heavy equipment and returning it all tore up, wore out, leaking hydraulic fluid, battery flat, fuel tank empty, and generally trashed-useless

32. Likes PeteM liked this post