What's new
What's new

Whatsit For?

Robere210

Plastic
Ok, I know it's a hammer, but for what trade?

170793023.jpg

Can anyone make out the manufacturer?

170793037.jpg

I ground the mushrooming off. At some point in it's life it had something sticking out that hole. Probably a point I'm thinking.

170793038.jpg

2-1/4 is about what it weighs.

170793039.jpg

Robere210 --

My speculation is that it is the head of a blacksmith-or-farrier's "handled punch". A handled punch was used in conjunction with a hammer and anvil to 1) create a hole or recess in a workpiece, or 2) if chisel-ended, to cut the workpiece from barstock. There were different flavors of handled punches for working hot metal and cold, but both were positioned on the workpiece using the handle, and then struck with a hammer.

John

Robere210 --

My speculation is that it is the head of a blacksmith-or-farrier's "handled punch". A handled punch was used in conjunction with a hammer and anvil to 1) create a hole or recess in a workpiece, or 2) if chisel-ended, to cut the workpiece from barstock. There were different flavors of handled punches for working hot metal and cold, but both were positioned on the workpiece using the handle, and then struck with a hammer.

John

I agree with that..and some hammers with a hole and a set screw were a stamping hanmmer so one could whack a number or some mark on a part, some times the inspectors mark.

Also agree all titles should make reference to subject "Odd hammer what for"

What sit for?... to take a poo....

It's called a poleaxe or poll-axe and once upon a time was used for dispatching cattle in a slaughter house.

I'm tending towards a type of Pole Axe / slaughtering tool ….mainly because 2 1/4lb is a bit heavy for a blacksmiths punch, ……….which IMHO would be unlikely to have a fully forged and extended eye socket for the handle.

Ref slaughtermans poleaxe - Google Search

FWIW When it comes to old tools and implements that were used for shall we say ''grisly purposes '' or things we don't like to think about, IME some modern expert and historians etc etc tend to shall we say ''sanitize'' them.

FYI, To the best of my knowledge, In the UK it is no longer legal to use a pole axe etc etc for animal slaughter.

I don't think its heavy enough for a poleaxe. Similar tools were used for slate roofs to put a hole in the slate or tile for the nail, although that is awfully heavy for a nailing hammer.

I don't think its heavy enough for a poleaxe. Similar tools were used for slate roofs to put a hole in the slate or tile for the nail, although that is awfully heavy for a nailing hammer.

MMMM? see your point but :- The axe type poleaxes I've seen and handled weren't that heavy - they don't have to be when on the end of a 5 or 6ft (or more) handle, …….some of the old timers I've spoken to about poleaxe slaughtering told me the beasts often ''knew'' what was coming, so were far from quiet, ………..and you keep well away from anything in a bad mood with horns,...….hence the long handle .and of course the need for accuracy.

Yes, its a misconception that poleaxes were big and heavy. Most I've seen and handled were quite light with long handles as Limi Sami says. I have seen some quite tiny ones too in deepest rural France. Presumably for pigs or lambs.
The hammer blow stuns the victim and immobilises them for a short period. The idea of the projecting rod is that it creates a small hole in the cranium. A flexible cane or rod is introduced into this hole, directed towards the spinal cord. This destroys the brain stem which completely immobilises the victim. It is now safe for the slaughter man work close to the beast and bleed it which is what results in death.
These days a captive bolt firing pistol is used instead of the poleaxe but everything else is pretty much the same.
As a Veterinarian I have spent a fair bit of time in slaughterhouses albeit many years ago now.

Been there myself. I grew up on an Ozark farm in the 1950's.

Back when Sami was young green and really stupid, he volunteered to help a farmer round up 60 + steers that had been on natural roughish summer grazing, .they'd water and plenty to eat so were just left to get on with it by themselves, with just a daily looksee to make sure they were okay, ….so with little handling they were pretty wild.

And young Sami (<> 1973 when he was 18) with his old James Commando (1954 rigid) trials bike (197cc Villers engine)…………. Like this but not as pretty Old Bike Australasia: James Commando Trails - Little Jimmy the trials bike - Shannons Club offered his services to help round up - calling on his part Australian blood line - he's seen them muster cattle on motorbikes as well as horseback.

The farmer (ever up for a laugh) took up the offer, and on the appointed day I arrived at the grazing - basically a big steepish slope / escarpment with clumps of briar and gorse etc etc going down to a stream - all very pretty.

The cattle had to be driven over 1/2 mile uphill to temporary pens (corrals) at the top to be loaded in to road trucks, ……….and working with the dogs and men we soon had some on the move, …..and those that have moved cattle know that once a few get moving others will join in, …...with me mainly riding back and forth behind the men and dogs - to stop any bolters.

With 2 ''drives'' in the pens it left the last bunch - basically the hooligans who hadn't wanted to play ''lets go in the pen '' ……...one of which took a big dislike to me.
It was all horns and attitude, (probably had the hump because a man cut his bollox off) .and what's more did not like my motorbike.

That bugger had me off in briar patches, .gorse bushes, ran me in to an oak tree, you name it the bastard did it, ………..and after over 1/2 an hour of his fun and games I was fast losing my sense of humour with that steer, - though not the farmer and his men who thought my antics highly amusing,

Anyway it came to a stand off, whatever happened, before he went in a pan and on a truck he was ''having me'', ……..and as far as I was concerned, he wouldn't even make condemned dog food.

Now like all good trials bikes of the era the James was fitted with a decompression valve - like this Trials Bike Parts :: Control Parts :: Handlebar Levers :: Universal 2 Stroke Decompressor Kit - Decompression Valve, Cable and Lever which make a lovely farting noise.

Up until the stand off, I'd had no reason to use the decomp, …...I made a move and the steer countered it, and to save myself from another tumble in to something hard / sharp or both, automatically used the decomp.

At which that steer took off like a scalded cat! …...it wasn't having that bloody buzzing thing anywhere near it! ………..and with only minimal guidance from the men dogs and me bringing up the rear with a few ''farts'' from the decomp was in the pen, ……….and all but cowering like ''keep that f'kn thing away from me!
I was black and blue all over. :)

And the next year when I was asked again of course I went :D-

And the next year when I was asked again of course I went :D-

ROFL!!!

G'Dad would mow hay in the "bottomland", I'd stand on the old Farmall "Cub" drawbar. With a .22. He'd start in a rectangle at the perimeter, make "square" corners with the split mechanical footbrake pedals, smaller and smaller rectangle.

Sure 'nuf, rabbits would soon flush. I'd shoot 'em for supper. Flushed a "baby", and he shouted not to shoot it, "too small!". Well he didn't mean leave it for the next generation. Sure as Hell no shortage! Rabbits had they OWN ways of seein' to THAT part.

He meant "too small" to be worth the effort of skinning for lack of any meat on it.

So I took off on foot. Chasing it. Baby rabbits are fair-decent at 90-degree turns, 180-degree "reversaL', and "broken field" running and hopping in general. Could give lessons to football players. Also Ninjas and Chinese magical-ghost acrobats always on Hong Kong Tee Vee aerial kung-fu'ing the hell outta each other ten or tweeny feet off the ground...

Sure 'nuf., skinny 6 year old kids ain't too shabby at it, either...'coz I DID catch him!

Might have been easier G'Dad hadn't been such a distraction.

Shouting navigation orders from up-high on the tractor's "crow's nest" in between rounds of laughing his ass off 'til he damn near fell off the tractor one or two times.

I gave it a miss, the next year. Snakes weren't my cuppa.

G'Dad always finished up the squares when they got to a small center by finessing the sickle bar. He'd sickle-butcher the fair number of pit-viper copper snakes he had herded together, but hit the clutch or raise the sickle-bar for the trapped non-poisonous (constrictor) blacksnakes.

Both tribes ate plenty of grain-robbing rodents.

But the blacksnakes also et the Copper snakes as could mess up the dogs, cattle, and ourselves, too! And he had already ceased raising hogs a year or so earlier.

Hog would rather nail and eat live snake as a desert treat than an egg custard or pie and hard sauce! The farm cats didn't bother. Just kilt snakes for pure sport and left 'em lying about to stink as bait for OTHER vermin they enjoyed killin'

OUR idea for a "poleaxe" replacement was a long-barreled top-break Stevens single-shot .22 pistol sometimes called a "pocket rifle" or "bicycle rifle".

Didn't seem to have no RIGHT to be so uncanny accurate, but then again? It WAS Stevens who had more or less invented the "long rifle" version of the .22 rimfire. So it surely was:

GUNS Magazine Stevens Single-Shot Pistols - GUNS Magazine

Learned "point shooting" with that one so as to kill crows or take Guinea fowl on the wing for dinner. No kick, waaay cheaper than shotgun shells. Head shot, didn't even have to dig any lead outta the meat. Good training, "point shooting" was for ambidextrous use of rifle, M-14, 9 mm, and .45 ACP sidearms as well.

These days a captive bolt firing pistol is used instead of the poleaxe but everything else is pretty much the same.
As a Veterinarian I have spent a fair bit of time in slaughterhouses albeit many years ago now.

Here in the states, mad cow brought an end to the use of captive bolt stunners.

So what do you use?

Now? Been a while..

Lot longer than fifty year ago, the "major" meat processing oufits began using a double swinging loop rig. It put a sort of metal pipe up against each side of the neck as the animal passes through a constricted chute.

Ignorant electricity does the rest.

AFAIK, it didn't even mark-up the hide, let alone draw blood nor introduce any foreign materiel INTO the blood or tissue. "Draining" and more was done later.

Could be newer tech, yet, this far along?

Kosher, Halal, & such I'm not up on, only aware that "they have their ways", and when out, about, in doubt traveling, the approved meats (and other foods) of either tribe are generally safer than "who knows?"

Those dietary "Laws" did start out as common-sense, after all.

Prohibition against Pork? Sandy soil of the Middle East generally has ROCK right under most of it. even if not, sand is easy to root-up. "Shallow grave" was all they could do.

Swine scavenge. Bigtime. That yer recycled Auntie on the plate?

Also lousy with trichina, tapeworm, roundworm, and a lot more. Lot wrong with modern mass-raising of swine, but the parasite loads are waaay down, and they don't "usually" get access to cadavers.

Been exceptions to that in the funny-papers, not just Hannibal Lecter movies, but it ain't common.

Yet.

Thermite:

The essence of Kosher meat has a couple of basic principals:
1. to insure that people consuming the meat would not be eating meat which might cause diseases. For this reason, pork and shellfish were on the prohibited list.

2. to minimize suffering to the animals being slaughtered.

These requirements were detailed in the Old Testament, and are enforced to this day when animals are slaughtered and butchered for kosher meat. I personally take a bit of exception to the fact that modern day kosher slaughtering still relies on the use of a sharp knife to cut the animals' throats. I take the view that the intent of the laws of Kashruth (kosher food requirements) were based on the 'best available practices' in Biblical times. In modern times, less painful and quicker methods of slaughtering have come into being, and if the spirit of the Kashruth laws is to be upheld, the slaughtering practices should move with the times.

Kosher killing has a number of well-defined requirements:

A rabbi with a special qualification for slaughtering, known in Hebrew as a 'Schochet' is the only person who can kill livestock for kosher meat. The schochet follows some requirements which are detailed in the Old Testament:

1. The animal, if a male, must not have any damage to its genital organs. Hence, steers cannot be killed for kosher meat.

2. The animal must be 'free from blemish' and not diseased.

3. A cow that has recently calved or is carrying a calf cannot be slaughtered.

4. Slaughtering must be done in the quickest, most humane way, with minimized suffering for the animal being slaughtered. In Biblical times, this mean using a sharp
knife to cut the throat. The knife has its own requirements, and must be 'sharp and free from nicks or damage to the blade' so that a quick and clean cut can be
made.

5. Before slaughtering the animal, the schochet chants a blessing and prayer thanking God for giving this animal for meat.

6. Once the animal is dead, the schochet is then required to examine the internal organs and viscera for signs of disease. If any signs of disease are found, the
animal cannot be used for meat for human consumption.

7. Once the animal carcass has been inspected and passed by the schochet it must be bled out. The ancient laws of Kashruth (the maintaining of Kosher requirements)
prohibit the consumption of meat that has not been bled out.

8. Once the carcass has been bled out, the butchers can get to work on it. Kosher butchers' knives, saws, cleavers, etc have either never contacted unkosher meat or are
'made kosher' by boiling in water, or by being heated to a red heat in a fire (such as grates or grilles). Similarly, meat hooks, pans, racks, work tables, meat
grinders, bandsaws, butcher blocks, etc all have to be made kosher before kosher using in the production of kosher meat. Slaughter houses, meat packing plants,
and kosher buthers or kosher poultry markets all have regular inspections by another rabbi known as a "Meshkiach". This is an inspection by a rabbi authorized
to make the inspections, and he has a registry number and presents a certificate of his inspection. Usually, on kosher foods packaged for sale, there will be a
notation of this inspection and who the Meshkiach was who performed the inspection.

Interestingly, Muslims can consume Kosher meat as it has been slaughtered in accordance with their own Halal requirements. Observant Jews, on the other hand, cannot consumer Halal meats. In the Muslim religion, a slaughterer sanctioned by their own religious requirements does the slaughtering. Muslim friends of mine have told me that, in the case where no such slaughterer is available, a lay person can slaughter animals under Halal requirements. They say a blessing and prayer, and do the slaughtering in the same manner as Kosher meat is slaughtered. When Muslims take an airline trip, it is not uncommon for them to request kosher meals for this same reason.

As for burials, Jewish custom is to return the body to the earth as it came into this life. No embalming, no fine clothes, no makeup, no viewing. The body is stripped of any adornments, and carefully washed by members of the synagogue's burial society (or by an undertaker following Jewish customs). Burial must occur within 24 hours of death, except when death occurs on the Sabbath or on a high Holiday (Rosh Hashonah or Yom Kippur). A member of the congregation usually sits up with the body on that last night above ground. The body is wrapped in a plain shroud, and a casket made of unfinished plain lumber is used. No hardware or adornments on the casket other than a Star of David carved into the wood of the lid, and no metal fasteners- dowelled or dovetailed joints are used on orthodox Jewish caskets. Holes are drilled in the bottom of the casket to speed natural decomposition of the corpse. Burials are done by the family and congregants, and the casket goes right into the earth without a burial vault. The family of the deceased, as mourners, cast the first shovels of earth into the grave, followed by the rest of the people attending the funeral. When all present have cast shovels of earth into the grave, several of the people present usually take up the shovels and fill the grave up to the grade line. Done it myself countless times. After that, the old Jewish tradition is to have a drink of whisky or Slivovitz at the graveside and then leave without looking back. Under Jewish law, it is forbidden to visit a grave of a loved one for one year from date of death. The principal being to observe a customary period of mourning, but get on with their lives.

Burials in the mideast are even more in keeping with biblical traditions. The corpses are wrapped in shrouds and placed on wood boards. No caskets are used. The corpse is placed in a shallow grave, but a cairn of stones is then built up around and over the corpse.

I've been spending a couple of days each week doing repairs to the original ornamental steel fence at our congregation's cemetery. After 100 years, a lightly built pre-fab ornamental steel fence was showing the effects of winters, hits from mowing and snow removal equipment, and general age. I've been replacing the fence posts, welding in new posts and bracing and making new welded connections between the fence sections. It's peaceful work, and the graves of a number of old friends are nearby.

In our Catskills, the soil is a hardpan or glacial till- clay soil shot with rocks and occasional outcroppings. When we have a burial, we get a load of screened load delivered and dumped next to the open grave. This is to allow the mourners to shovel in earth free from cobbles. The sound of earth thudding on a hollow wood casket is unmistakeable, and a good sized cobble could well bust right through the lid of a casket.

One winter, with subzero temperatures, the gravedigger went to open a grave as one of our congregants had died. He scored the frozen ground with a masonry saw and went at it with a backhoe. Broke a tooth or two on the bucket of the hoe in the process. Another burial had the gravedigger hitting rock outcrop unexpectedly. He tried scoring it with a diamond masonry saw, but being winter, the water for cooling the blade froze up. This wound up costing him a diamond blade. We were able to scratch out just enough space to get the casket to depth, and he and I had to carefully jockey the casket into that grave. On yet another burial, one of our older congregants, well into his nineties, died. His wife had died a couple of years previously. We opened the grave and between rain and all else, the earth alongside the wife's casket started sloughing into the opened grave, exposing the casket. As if this were not bad enough, the weight of the soil had collapsed the lid and opened the corner of the casket such that we could see a bit of the corpse in its shroud. Nothing to do but get down in the grave and take some cardboard to close the casket and pack some earth up around it. The husband's burial went off without any further hitches.

In the Jewish religion, one of the highest forms of 'good deeds' (known as Mitzvot) which a Jew can perform is that of seeing a fellow Jew to their final rest. This is a good deed which the recipient cannot repay. I tend to joke that my own mortal remains will one day be hauled feet first through cemetery gates I build and planted along a fence I've welded on and repaired. We all get there some day, and creeping up on 70 years of age, I feel comfortable in confronting my own mortality- which, according to the Old Testament- is 'three score and ten years' afforded to a man, and more years if he is of exceptional vigor. I figure if I can put in a good day's work at the cemetery, I hope I am exhibiting the necessary vigor as I reach the 'three score and ten years' this September.

Back