What's new
What's new

Modelmaker at work in 1868

rivett608

Diamond
This is the cover of Harper's Weekly on April 4th 1868....
modelmaker1868.jpg

Hey- I think it is time to let the guys know the truth about yourself..........( don't get P.....off at me ) But this is actually a current pic of Rivett608 in his shop!

Very cool pic! I love it

Markus

Speaks volumes about why 1860s history turned out the way it did. Them northern lads could wear all that hair (and clothes!) and still work all summer in their not so cool shops. Wasn't near the case down south........

John

I was just telling someone about this old post and thought I would give it a bump....... with spring coming most of us don't have to worry much about the "cool" shop part.

Now we know what Gen. James Longstreet did for a living after "The War" [Note to our non-US friends: Longstreet was a Confederate General reknowned for his full beard.]

The white sleeves of his outfit look odd, don't they? What did a man's shirt look like circa 1868? Or, are those some sort of sleeve protectors, to keep his white shirt spify?

Note that the vise is shown as a "post vise", generally associated with pounding jobs like blacksmithing. The treadle lathe in the background looks spindly. Could be "artistic license", after all it is only a drawing.

One good thing about a treadle lathe - if he gets his beard caught in it, he just stops treadling!

John

John Interesting point about the Longstreet look...... I wonder if it was this same artist that drew many of the drawings in Harper's that helped to make Longstreet so famous...... you know some artist work all looks the same no matter who they are trying to draw.....

Post vises were pretty common in shops.... even the early bench vises were like a post vise with out it's leg....

About the white shirt... see this thread for more commentary of fancy shirts while working at the lathe

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001285;p=0&r=nfx&s=noprofile

Back