What's new
What's new

Where can I find cast iron plate?

99Panhard

Stainless
For the next piece of the 1910 Mitchell engine (the exhaust valve cages) I need 4 pieces of cast iron plate about 3" x 4-1/4" x 3/4" thick. So far, I've completely struck out finding anything to work with... short of special ordering it - which is clearly out of the question. Does anyone have any ideas? The valve cages were castings (only one of which I have)... I'm planning to make them in two pieces and screw them together, incorporating replaceable valve guides in the process.

Thanks, jp

We buy slabs sawn to thickness wanted from Lokey Iron and Metal Joe.

This is either gray or ductile, they call their gray "G2", and say it conforms to ASTM A48 class 40

3/4 thick,
Sounds like the suitcase weights use on tractors or other equipment.
Quality and grade of raw material will vary widely however.

When I worked for a heavy equipment manufacturer the print indicated the raw material was "SCRAP".
The foundy would keep a bunch of sand molds made up and pour off what ever was left over in the ladle as weights.
Gave us a good price per pound because it saved them remelting the excess, but QC was just fit and function.

You'll get 3 x 4.25 out of 5.25 round, and round CI (durabar) is easily available and nice to machine.

Must type faster,there was only one reply when I started :D

These guys have a piece of it on ebay, I've bought from them before, good people.

Dura Bar G2 2 17" x 3 73" x 4 60" Pearlitic Gray Iron 10 0 Lbs | eBay

You could almost get 3 out of that if you have a band saw.

Send a message to them, Dave and Trisha are the ones that handle things (husband/wife). They may have some G2 that they can cut, but G2 is not something they stock too much of. I have bought a few pieces of G2 from them, so they do get it...They had a 6" round just over an inch thick for a LONG time, but they sold it It was also rough on one side (from the end of a bar). Ping them and see what they have! One thing to keep in mind is that G2 is messy to machine, so sometimes it might pay to get it clean, depends on how much you need. In your case it won't matter with 4 pieces. Often, but not always their G2 will be from the end of a bar.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks guys. In reading this I had one of those "DUH" moments and realized I could easily make them out of rounds as long as I have 4". The width of the part is only a little under 3" and the part is actually an oval shape... I'll post a picture and you'll understand. I don't have a band saw but I do have a big Starrett hack saw which will cut up a round bar while I do something else. The mess, and the amount of time it takes, are of no consequence since this isn't "work for pay"...

jp

Old post but in regards to Speedy Metals since everyone seems to refer there I called them and they told me they don’t actually stock any of the cast plate, square, etc..., and if ordered have to source it elsewhere and they could not give me any specifications over the phone about the product so I personally wouldn’t bother buying it if they don’t keep it on hand.

Links for Cast Iron and Ductile:

McMaster-Carr

Speedy Metals - Cast Iron Flat

Best Regards,
Bob

Wow, this goes back to 2013. Ultimately, I just cut some pieces from a CI bar, which I should have thought in the first place. In 2013 I was just beginning the adventure of making my own parts and, being entirely self-taught, there is a lot of obvious stuff that I didn't know. I'm a lot better now but still learning something almost every day.

The pieces in question were used to make the tops of the valve cages.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• Valve Cages.jpg
    Valve Cages.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 269

Back