What's new
What's new

Who makes this Drill Sharpening Jig ?

gregg-k

Cast Iron
I got this drill sharpening jig a while back, and set it up with its own motor this week. I think I've seen an ad for this jig in a 1939 Atlas machinery catalog as a "Model W30" ... but nothing more.

It's much more rigid and stable than the gool old General jig, and the micrometer adjustment makes it easier to make the drill lips symmetrical. Capacity is up to 1/2" drills.

Drillsharpeningjigupper.jpg

Drillsharpeningjigside.jpg

However, I've had to make and educated guess about how to set it up, and I'd appreciate if one of you could point me at some info about using it properly.

Many thanks,
.. Gregg

Ha! Second time this beast has come up recently.
Its a Delta 1296 Drill grinder attachment.
Look back to the Mystery Tool thread started by Steve S on 23 rd August for a bit of discussion and a link to where an instruction manual can be found.

Bit more complex than the intent of Gordons DIY thread but a shop made version would make a nice project as well as being a bit more predictable than the General / Picador et upteen clones style. Although they can work very well provided you don't get the instructions mixed for the two different varieties.

Clive

Gregg,

I too have one of those...plus ALL the manuals on how to set it up and use it. I actually have two manuals as two different companies made similar grinders.

One was made by Delta Power Tools (Rockwell) and it is the #1296 Drill Grinding Attachment. The second one was made by Atlas (the same folks who made the lathe) and it is a #2915 Drill Grinding Attachment.

Yours is the same unit I have, it's the Atlas model. If you give me a few days and a shipping address I could probably copy the operating instructions and send them to you.

EDIT. I just read Clive's Post. The two grinders are similar but on close inspection are not the same. The picture you posted is the Atlas, not the Delta.

Stuart

Thanks for the speedy replies, Guys!

Interesting that both Delta and Atlas sold jigs that were so similar. Clive, I downloaded the Delta instructions you pointed me at; thank you!

Stuart, if you have the instructions for the actual Atlas W30 jig I have, I'd appreciate a scan of it. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Thanks again,
.. Gregg

My head hurts!

I went through the Delta instructions, and it sure could use clarifying and editing ... talk about hard to understand!

From what I could tell, it looks like the Delta jig grinds against the drill against the circumference of the wheel, while the Atlas grinds against the flat side.

Not sure if any of the instructons of one maker's jig apply to the other, but what I'm trying to figure out for my Atlas jig are:

1. the distance the drill must extend from its holding shoe, and
2. what starting orientation the drill's lip must have to the wheel

Thanks again,
... Gregg

Completed!

With *many* thanks to the information I got from atomarc and clive603, I was able to properly set up my drill sharpener. Lots of quality time spent this weekend reclaiming many old drills !

DrillSharpeningJigCompleted.jpg

I now know that it is an Atlas model W30, or the model 2915 as it became known later on. From the manual that automarc sent me, I discovered that the jig originally came with a set-up fixture, which I was missing. However, I was able to do without it because the manual also gave the key dimensions for set up ... the fixture is really only to make the set up process idiot proof.

Another neat feature is that the jig can be set up to true the wheel prior to sharpening a drill.

I discovered also that there is no such thing as a universal overhang for putting a drill in the holding "chuck" ... in fact, its the drill's orientation that's critical to getting the cutter geometry correct. A bit of practice, and I got it right every time.

It's nice to have a dedicated machine, with a true stone that's ready to use at any time!
... Gregg

I discovered also that there is no such thing as a universal overhang for putting a drill in the holding "chuck" ... in fact, its the drill's orientation that's critical to getting the cutter geometry correct.

I have one of the cheapie General fixtures and it's finicky as well. If I remember the geometry correctly, the reason for the issue is the angle of the flute helix. You see... The rate of spiral in the flutes usually changes as the diameter of the bit changes. In other words, smaller drill bits usually have a tighter flute helix than larger drill bits, and since those fixtures register the drill's position using a stop on the flute, smaller bits will rotate more by the time you get to the grinding surface, and larger bits will rotate less. This affects where the web is when it contacts the wheel.

In reality, you don't really care at all about the distance from the wheel... What you really want to control the amount of rotation from the registration pin to the grinding surface. Unfortunately, you can't move the registration pin, so the only thing you can do is adjust the distance from the wheel.

All that said... I'd still rather have your fixture than my General. :)

WOW, I have the exact same jog fixture at my school shop in a box, all but for the motor and wheel set-up. I may have to find a way to hook it up to an old tool grinder I have.

Great, Thanks!

Gregg,

I too have one of those...plus ALL the manuals on how to set it up and use it. I actually have two manuals as two different companies made similar grinders.

One was made by Delta Power Tools (Rockwell) and it is the #1296 Drill Grinding Attachment. The second one was made by Atlas (the same folks who made the lathe) and it is a #2915 Drill Grinding Attachment.

Yours is the same unit I have, it's the Atlas model. If you give me a few days and a shipping address I could probably copy the operating instructions and send them to you.

EDIT. I just read Clive's Post. The two grinders are similar but on close inspection are not the same. The picture you posted is the Atlas, not the Delta.

Stuart
Atomarc,
I need a copy of the manual for the W30/2915. Could you send me one either electronically or snail mail?
I will gladly pay you for it. Please send me a private message if you can

Thanks,
Lionel

Instructions for Atlas 2915 / W30 drill grinder

Hi Group,

I've recently been given an Atlas 2915 / W30 drill-grinding jig as a gift. Could someone please post the instructions on a web page for me, or email me a copy?

Thanks!

Bruce

Hi Group,

I've recently been given an Atlas 2915 / W30 drill-grinding jig as a gift. Could someone please post the instructions on a web page for me, or email me a copy?

Thanks!

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
I tried posting the manual to Photobucket, but they do not accept a pdf file. So, PM me your email address, and I will send you a copy of the manual for the 2915.

.. Gregg

Where can you get a grinding wheel like that one?

I got that particular one from a friend who'd had it for years and no longer used it. No name on it, sorry.

I have another wheel like it, only a lot smaller. It is a synthetic ruby wheel that was made by the old Black & Decker company for Sioux valve grinders.

Both wheels are unique in that they are made to be used on their side face.

I would imagine McMaster Carr among others would have similar wheels ... try Norton abrasives as a brand name.

... Gregg

Interresting, I hadn't seen this thread earlier. This summer I found a similar if not identical drill jig at a garage sale but it is lettered Millers Falls #7080. Wasn't sure about the set up but gregg-k's pic cleared that up. Thanks.

Tom B.

Anyone have one of these for sale and what sort of $ are you looking to get for it?

I'm in Southern California so shipping could be a factor unless you're within driving distance.

Thanks
Dan

Back