What's new
What's new

Clark Jillson, Osgood Plummer, Combination Caliper & Divider, Patent No. 43,854, 1864

c5h5nino

Aluminum
Clark Jillson, Osgood Plummer, Combination Caliper & Divider, Patent No. 43,854, 1864

An early combination caliper and divider, with deep roots in Worcester, MA, patented August 16th, 1864 by the Hon. Clark Jillson. The tool was marked by its past possessor, Osgood Plummer. Osgood was also a prominent figure in the Worcester area as a machinist, businessman, inventor, collector, photographer, and Free Mason.

More juicy details below...

Patent Info:
Patent Images

Clark Jillson's Biography (Page 167, halfway down):
History of Worcester and its people - Charles Nutt - Google Books

Osgood Plummer's Biography (Page 1773, far right column, halfway down):
New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial, A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation - Google Play

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 84
From what I have read Clark Jillson was a three time Major of Worcester, MA, Judge, and Inventor. Here is Wikipedia's page on him:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Clark Jillson was an American politician who served as the 18th Mayor of Worcester, Massachusetts from 1873 to 1874.

Clark Jillson was born in Windham, Vermont on April 11, 1825.[1] He was brought up on his father's farm in Vermont, also helping him in his blacksmith shop.[2] He came to Worcester in 1845, taking a job with Howe & Goddard at seventy-five cents a day. Over the next eight years, he worked for various machinists across the city, including L. and A.G. Coes & Co. He also wrote for newspapers and magazines, and was elected president of the Young Men's Rhetorical Society in 1853.[3]

In 1873, Jillson was elected Mayor of Worcester and served three terms.[4] He was the first mayor to use the veto power, and his administration saw the first reduction of city debt in thirteen years.[3][2]

Jillson was a founding member of the Sons and Daughters of Vermont, and served as president of Worcester Society of Antiquity. [3][2]

Jillson died in Worcester on June 5, 1894 and was buried in Rural Cemetery.[1]"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biography includes more info. I wish more politicians were machinists/mechanics/inventors.

Thanks for the info, when you get a chance take a look at the biographies linked above, pretty interesting!

Yep, I started reading about the two of them--thanks to your interesting caliper--a day or so ago.

"I wish more politicians were machinists/mechanics/inventors."

From Vermont, James Hartness, inventor of the flat turret lathe and president of Jones & Lamson and governor of the state, and his son-in-law, Ralph Flanders, allso brass at J & L and United States senator. Also (and from the same area of Vermont) Joseph Johnson of Bryant Chucking Grinder and Lovejoy Tool, and also governor of Vermont (I am friends with a grandchild of his): all three are buried in the same cemetery.

I have a handful of antique machinist tools with interesting stories which I plan detailing in additional posts.

I am sure you have some interesting ones too. I would love to hear about them!

Back