What's new
What's new

Winter Brothers Tap and Die History

Thank you very much for this. I was not familiar with Winter Brothers Tap and Die either. I did find a full page ad in a 1946 issue of American Machinist. By then they were a subsidiary of National Twist Drill. I wonder if Clarence and Caspar Blaisdell, both shown in photos of a 1940 company banquet are decedents of or related to Parritt Blaisdell and his son William who built lathes in Worcester Mass. According to Kenneth Cope in _American Lathe Builders 1810-1910_, that company started in 1865, was taken over by William when his father died in 1875. Then Blaisdell merged with Whitcomb in 1905 to become Whitcomb-Blaisdell. It looks like Wrentham is about 40-50 miles from Worcester.
David

Thanks Dave ,
I noticed the Blaisdell name in there as well but have no idea about the connection with the lathe company .
Maybe someone who visits this forum will know or the person who runs the Winter page if contacted would have more information.
Regards,
Jim

I know I have some Winter taps and dies, but did not know they were made in Wrentham. My only knowledge of Wrentham is that some very desirable carpenter planes were made there in the 18th century. I look at old wood planes when I see them for sale, just in case one is marked "Cesar Chelor living in Wrentham."

Larry

Timely! Just today I was tapping some 8-32 holes using a Winter Brothers tap. I have no idea how old it is, but it cuts beautifully, and I'd like to have a full set :)

allan

I have a nice Winter Brothers drill & tap chart in the shop. I'm sure I have a bunch of their taps hiding in the tap drawers too.

P1000081.jpg

Im a Massachusetts machinist who collects these tin decimal equivalent charts, if you ever are looking to part with this one, let me know! Never seen one of these!

Im a Massachusetts machinist who collects these tin decimal equivalent charts, if you ever are looking to part with this one, let me know! Never seen one of these!
Chris, I have a Winter Bros. Tap and Die set I would like to sell. I see you are also in Massachusetts. I am in Pittsfield. Can you tell me if it ok to sell on this site? Just signed up today.IMG_2208.jpeg

@DanielC - moderator here and I don't have a problem offering such a set for sale in the Antique Forum, but it might be useful to create a new topic eg "FS: Winter Brothers tap and die set", with pictures, indications on if/how you'd like to ship, perhaps price.

@DanielC - moderator here and I don't have a problem offering such a set for sale in the Antique Forum, but it might be useful to create a new topic eg "FS: Winter Brothers tap and die set", with pictures, indications on if/how you'd like to ship, perhaps price.
Thank you for the help Greg. I am new to this site and I’m having trouble finding the Antique Forum. Can you advise me?

:) Sure. This topic is already in the Antique forum, so I suggest going to the top of the page here, click on the "Antique Machinery and History" section; that gets you to the antiques forum- you can see the latest topics there. Find the orange "Post thread" button on the right-hand top of the page. Click that and you can start creating a topic- a subject like "FS: Winter Brothers tap and die set" would be fine. Post any pics you have just like you did above, and please be sure to include the item's location and any preferences you have wrt payment and shipping etc. Doesn't have to be perfect :) I'll watch for the thread and make any further suggestions then.

Looks like a nice set- good luck!

I also noticed that the original link no longer worked so I tried looking o the Way Back Machine of the Internet archive and still no luck but a Google search turned up essentially the same information if not the exact same information on another site.
It has been 6 years since I posted the original link so I can't remember the details from back then.
If someone wants to have the information for future reference maybe you can web capture or otherwise save the page in your own files.
Jim

I also noticed that the original link no longer worked so I tried looking o the Way Back Machine of the Internet archive and still no luck but a Google search turned up essentially the same information if not the exact same information on another site.
It has been 6 years since I posted the original link so I can't remember the details from back then.
If someone wants to have the information for future reference maybe you can web capture or otherwise save the page in your own files.
Jim
Jim,
Thank you for this post. It is amazing that someone would put together such an extensive series of articles about this company. I saved the link and hope to put it in my post when I go to try and sell the set.

The former Winter Brothers factory - long occupied by Crosby Valve Co., was torn down around 2012. The site was cleaned up and sold but remains vacant. Living right on the Franklin/Wrentham line for many years I accumulated a good deal of Winter Brothers taps, dies and associated handles. They sure made a lot of stuff in that factory literally right off the town center.

The former Winter Brothers factory - long occupied by Crosby Valve Co., was torn down around 2012. The site was cleaned up and sold but remains vacant. Living right on the Franklin/Wrentham line for many years I accumulated a good deal of Winter Brothers taps, dies and associated handles. They sure made a lot of stuff in that factory literally right off the town center.
I had never heard of this company until I got this set. I am hoping to possibly sell it on this site. Would you have a guess as to what a fair price would be? All the dies are Winter. Two of the taps are Winter. I believe the only things not Winter are three of the taps. IMG_2209.jpeg

I had never heard of this company until I got this set. I am hoping to possibly sell it on this site. Would you have a guess as to what a fair price would be? All the dies are Winter. Two of the taps are Winter. I believe the only things not Winter are three of the taps.

The money is in the two handles and wood case, perhaps $50 or so based on what I've seen for sale in the past. Yours don't look all beat up so might bring a little more? Value of the taps and dies are minimal. When downsizing before moving south I was selling coffee cans full of various Winter taps and dies - all decent to very good condition - for $20/can. Note that your dies have the duck logo. These were 'cheap' ones made for Sears. Winter wouldn't put their normal logo on them like what the tap handle has.

Back