What's new
What's new

Woden 'heavy thread/tread' discovery

jamesmans

Plastic
Hello again, I have another mystery item from the back of the shed.

It's a heavy device with a tread mechanism made by Woden - any ideas would be much appreciated.

PS I also have no idea what the cast iron triangles are either - they are about a foot long and have a rim on the inside. Lots of them! Thanks guys!

IMG_8610.jpg

That's great thanks - the last website is particularly useful and yes it looks like a floor cramp!

Any ideas on the cast metal triangles?

That's great thanks - the last website is particularly useful and yes it looks like a floor cramp!

Any ideas on the cast metal triangles?

None at all, ...........can't recall ever seeing anything like them in buildings etc etc, ………………...1 thought was maybe specially shaped chills for sand casting - they were built in to moulds to get promote even cooling.

Triangles - possibly cast iron floor tiles, although the ones made by Butterley that I've seen illustrated had a grippy tread on top.

Thanks so much! That looks like them - although yes they lack any kind of grip. Makes me wonder how many other metal floor tiles made by Butterley are still around...and what to do with them!

I have the tall Woden screw-jack,4 tons. One of the little feet at the bottom had got knapped off in a previous life,and I had to keep packing it level which was a nuisance,although I did get it for £1! One day I chucked it by the turned collar at the top of the body and carefully faced the other two feet off,since when it has always stood without any wobble! Now I have a Norton ratchet Jack,the screw Jack just gets used for fine adjustments.

"Woden" also made floor jacks with a screw thread operated through a bevel gear and cross handle. I find them much more convenient than the long handled version, less getting up and down to set and operate.

"Woden" also made floor jacks with a screw thread operated through a bevel gear and cross handle. I find them much more convenient than the long handled version, less getting up and down to set and operate.

If it's the type I think it is, they made a lot for the British military, ……..I think (???? don't shoot me) they were made for the Bedford QL 3 tonners, …………..the surplus dealers were full of them in the mid 70's

ON EDIT

Well I never - I knew there were some weirdos about, but ?????? :eek:

Woden Jacks

From Read Jacks

That's it, thanks!

IMG_8628.jpg

In other news, there is a B.C stamped on the reverse of the tiles, which suggests 'Butterleys Company'...

If it's the type I think it is, they made a lot for the British military, ……..I think (???? don't shoot me) they were made for the Bedford QL 3 tonners, …………..the surplus dealers were full of them in the mid 70's

ON EDIT

Well I never - I knew there were some weirdos about, but ?????? :eek:

Woden Jacks

From Read Jacks

Sorry, I've confused. I'm talking about a "jack" or cramp used to cramp T&G flooring. I've used them in the last 6 months: they are one of those tools that sits about mostly but makes such a job profitable.

Woden made some really nice stuff, at least the equal of Record.

Sorry, I've confused. I'm talking about a "jack" or cramp used to cramp T&G flooring. I've used them in the last 6 months: they are one of those tools that sits about mostly but makes such a job profitable.

Woden made some really nice stuff, at least the equal of Record.

My oops :cheers:

Back