What's new
What's new

Wondering about this Starrett Punch made in Great Britain?

dzarren

Plastic
I've been recently been on the hunt to get my little shop going, and I've been starting a little starrett collection.

I had been looking for a set of Jenny Calipers for a while, and was thinking of making a a set for myself, but found a tiny union brand one that i paid way too much for. The same day i found a Starrett one, but at the time i did not now how old it was, or that it was old at all, because the condition was perfect. Judging from the infor ive obtained online, looking at the logo, it seems like this set is from somewhere in between 1895 and 1896. I say this since apparently the stamping name was changed in 1896, and this has the old stamp, but has a 1895 date on it. But please enlighten me if this is not the case?
Im quite mad at myself for how i treated this set of calipers, because when I was using evaporust to remove some slight surface rust, i accidentally let some parts sit above the liquid line, and this etched a deep groove into the set of calipers, right across the stamped name. Pretty bummed at that, but its permanent. The liquid/air boundary of evaporust is incredibly reactive, so please do watch out.

And finally to the main part of this post, i was under the impression that asides from the new stuff made in china, all the starrett stuff was made in the states since forever.
I have this old-ish auto center punch, but it says made in Great Britain. I was wondering if anyone knew when this was from, I have never seen a starrett tool branded Great Britain.

I also have a rotation counter that has the old logo, without the "THE" but it has a 1905 patent date, so it must be from after that, but supposedly the logo changed in 1896? So im not sure about the age of this either, if you guys had any clue.

Thanks for reading!

star 1.jpg

star 2.jpg

star 3.jpg

star 4.jpg

star 5.jpg

I bought lots of Starrett gear when I was an apprentice in the late 1970's-early 1980's. All of it is made in Great Britain. The plant was (still is?) at Jedburgh, Scotland.

External mics, depth mic, internal mics, radius gauges, vee blocks, combination square set, telescopic gauges, small hole gauges, feeler gauges, toolmakers clamps, screw drivers, punches of all types - all made in Great Britain.

They issued a full catalogue and I would think made most tools in Scotland.

I guess Canada, like NZ, being a part of the Commonwealth, favoured British products at times.

ps. I notice my dial calipers and wiggler set are ex-USA.

This Canadian, who started buying tools about the same time Peter S did, found zero advantage with the so called Commonwealth and in fact UK products at that time tended to be way more expensive than equal quality W German or US made. The Starrett tools I bought were all made in US. The second hand Moore and Wright tools I have were all UK made, as are the few Chesterman tools I own. I will admit, one of the few tools I still lust after are Chesterman height gages. Used a 26" one years ago, but haven't been able to find a good condition reasonable priced one...

Lucky7

I have the exact same center punch labelled "Eclipse", I have also a hacksaw frame with the "Starrett" logo which was also made by Eclipse in England, only the name on the handle was changed from a regular Eclipse frame. Both are very good tools, I´ve had them for 40-plus years; when Starrett farmed out work they chose the best.

Oddly enough, this Brit (and many others I know) tried to buy US made Starret tools over their Scots counterparts, as I felt they were slightly better made, ………..as were the US made Jacobs drill chucks ** over their English counterparts.

** For back in the day when Jacobs made a reasonable drill chuck (aka a well worn PM hobby horse :D )

FWIW I never went much on Moore & Wright instruments (over priced with variable quality) …………..and when in 1971 I left school to start work was about when Mitutoyo came on the scene, and stood M&W etc on their heads.

I have the exact same center punch labelled "Eclipse", I have also a hacksaw frame with the "Starrett" logo which was also made by Eclipse in England, only the name on the handle was changed from a regular Eclipse frame. Both are very good tools, I´ve had them for 40-plus years; when Starrett farmed out work they chose the best.

Eclipse brand was / is James Neil, well known long standing high quality Sheffield based speciality steel and tool maker James Neill and Co (Sheffield) - Graces Guide

Oddly enough, this Brit (and many others I know) tried to buy US made Starret tools over their Scots counterparts, as I felt they were slightly better made, ………..as were the US made Jacobs drill chucks ** over their English counterparts.

** For back in the day when Jacobs made a reasonable drill chuck (aka a well worn PM hobby horse :D )

FWIW I never went much on Moore & Wright instruments (over priced with variable quality) …………..and when in 1971 I left school to start work was about when Mitutoyo came on the scene, and stood M&W etc on their heads.

When I started serving my time in September 1965 my late father bought me a " Moore & Wright " automatic centre punch, the one with the ball end. It was the only tool he ever bought me and I still have it now. To be honest it didn't get a great deal of use because I found I was quicker and more accurate with a normal centre punch and a " Toffee " hammer.
I'd not had it long when a fellow apprentice decided it would be a good idea to try and centre punch a marble with it ! That snapped the replaceable point clean off and was my first lesson in teasing out a broken screw with a scriber.
I called in at my local hardware shop and ordered four more points from " Moore & Wright " without asking the price, a fatal mistake. When I called in to pick them up a couple of weeks later they cost me almost all of my weeks wages of £5-5-0 !

Regards Tyrone.

Back