What's new
What's new

Woodward & Powell planer

Dave Riant

Aluminum
I saw this planer at an estate sale recently in S. Oregon. I believe it was made in about 1907. It's table is 21" x 72". Built in Worcester Mass. I'ts similar to the earlier Powell planers , later model Woodward & Powell planers were of a heavier more modern design. This info I got is from Copes Planer and Shaper book which also has an image from an ad. Likely distributed by Parke & Lacy Co. , San Francisco.

It's been sold to a man in PA. who is arranging shipment . A forum member perhaps ?

Photos next

Attachments

• IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_2458.jpg
    IMG_2458.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Powell planer Weight Estimate?

Hi guys,

Zombiewarning class 5 bringing this thread back up but it´s about a very similar machine I have found, so sufficient pics are already here. But I´m a bit lost at estimating the weight of it?
The one I have found is a Powell planer of same size 21x72". If anything I think mine has a bit higher walls on the bed, the feets are shorter.
(I don´t have any better pics at the moment.)

Thanks John,

I think that should be closer to actual weight

The seller estimated "1500-2000kg" but that estimate is for sure the holder of a nasty surprise.

However this thread gives me some concern, a similar sized machine weighing in at approx 11,500lbs

Advice wanted. Picking up Gray Planer tomorrow from the 1915 machine shop in Roanoke

although, I think, the Gray planer looks substantially "thicker" in every aspect. Just looking at the pictures I´d say the Gray could be rated twice the cutting power.

At the end of the day, I just need to make sure I bring a truck with a sufficiently long & strong crane to site. But I can´t just get XXXL as maneuvering the truck on site will require some negotiation of the driver.
I´m in awe of that two-axle truck with that cargodeck in the link, such a thing just do not exist here.

I just post what is printed on the maker's catalog page for weight:D

Thanks John,

I think that should be closer to actual weight

The seller estimated "1500-2000kg" but that estimate is for sure the holder of a nasty surprise.

However this thread gives me some concern, a similar sized machine weighing in at approx 11,500lbs

Advice wanted. Picking up Gray Planer tomorrow from the 1915 machine shop in Roanoke

although, I think, the Gray planer looks substantially "thicker" in every aspect. Just looking at the pictures I´d say the Gray could be rated twice the cutting power.

At the end of the day, I just need to make sure I bring a truck with a sufficiently long & strong crane to site. But I can´t just get XXXL as maneuvering the truck on site will require some negotiation of the driver.
I´m in awe of that two-axle truck with that cargodeck in the link, such a thing just do not exist here.

Back