What's new
What's new

Worth of a Older 16" LeBlond lathe?

yardbird

Titanium
This thing is for sale with in 20 minutes of me. Seller doesn't appear to knowledgeable on the thing because of the very small write up? Anybody know about what this thing would be worth in good working condition?

Complete write up at the bottom.

Thank you.

Brent

Screenshot_20190428-160220_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190428-160210_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190428-160225_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190428-160229_Facebook.jpg

LeBlond 16" Lathe. Single Phase
Works great. Has taper bar attachment, capable of boring and drilling, reversible. Comes with a crazy amount of cutters, inserts and another chuck head. Has catch tray.

Easily 100 years old. You'd have to love the fact of its antiquity - with the norms of the day like 350 RPM top speed

Maybe $250?

1911 Catalog can be emailed

Thanks John! I kinda knew it was old but didn't realize it was that old. Should've known when it was belt driven. Guy wants more than 3 times that amount. Imagine he'll have it for a while longer yet. Thanks again!

Brent

Its easily worth more than $250, and anything under $1k is likely reasonable depending on what all he has with it (looks like a 4 jaw chuck in the background). Question is, do you want it for the nostalgic value, or to use? At the very least, take the 20 minutes to drive over and see it...you may be more impressed once you see it in person (and hear it running). Plus, you'll be able to see what all is included.

I'm not sure what the lathe market is like in Indiana, but it would easily sell for over $1k here in Georgia without any trouble.

Yes it would probably fetch closer to $1000 out here also, if it was well tooled. Look at it to check condition and what the "crazy amount of cutters, inserts and another chuck head" really is.
I saw a steady by the 4 jaw on the ground. He mentions it can bore and drill but did not show pics of anything like larger MT drill bits. Use that to bring down the price if he does not have anything like that. Is there anything else it should have but doesn't, like how many lantern tools are there, complete set?
All the wrenches and chuck keys?.... Measuring tools...
Enough tooling can add value to that lathe, but I would want more than what is in the pics, or pay less for it.

Here is a 1 K$ gear head L&S I got in 2008 - 24 / 27 1/2 actual swing, 14 foot bed - but it came with an essentially unused genuine Aloris DA tool post and tool holder, so I figure less than 500 for the lathe.

Attachments

• 100_0712.jpg
    100_0712.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 144
John's right, that lathe isn't worth more than $250. First it's big and heavy, puts it out of the Hobbyist market. It's probably worth more to those that look for antique machines but for the average user it's not worth much due to the slow spindle speeds and split bearings. They like to sling oil! LeBlond made great lathes but I've paid in the $500 range for lathes built in the late 40's and early 50's

$250 is still far too low, but once again, the devil is in the details.

As far as buying an L&S over 10 years ago for $1k, it's absolutely irrelevant....and pretty much apples to oranges. First of all, you bought a less desirable machine at the height of the recession. There isn't a big demand for 14' bed lathes, and there is a reason they typically go cheap. Throw in a tanking economy, and damn near everything was dirt cheap (except AR's and ammo) in '08.

Reality is, the lathe market is pretty strong right now, but it really depends on location. Regardless, there isn't anywhere (that I've seen) where that lathe would go under $750-1k. People still have tax money, and retro items still sell well. Of course, it all depends on how motivated the seller is.

Either way, I'd have to stop by and check it out.

While I'll bet he could get $1000 for it, I'd never buy another flat belt plain bearing lathe again. It's a collectors item more than it's a working lathe. Sure you can do turning with it but not particularly well.

So basically it's worth zero to me because I need a lathe for projects, not a lathe project.

Quade sez right

Worth as an object? or worth as a tool?

Ultimate "value" is only decided when money crosses palms.

Its a pity there arent any lathe rallys or lathe swap meets ......or lathes radically modified,cause then they would be worth thousands like rusty broken farm engines and A Ford bits,and people would be chasing after them.......Hey ,I saw some bits in your yard.......have you got any lathes ....you might sell.?

While I've found some good deals over the years they are getting harder to come by. With that said the leblond might not be my first choice in lathes but i certainly wouldn't pass it up if pickings were slim. My first inclination would be $400 maybe $500 if its in decent shape.

He's asking $900 for the lathe. I think I got a little excited. I'll admit I know nothing about this machine. John and others are right in saying I will want my machine to have features more comparable to what modern machines of today.

Been starting to keep eye out. I'm going to be able to retire in 9 years give or take a few. I've always had ready access to pretty much any machine tool at my work. I'm gonna have a couple tools around to do some personal odds and ends at home when I decide to get out for good

The LeBlond is in Logansport Indiana if anyone is interested. That's about all I know.

Thanks Everyone

Brent

Back