What's new
What's new

WTB 10" Dividing Head, Hendey-Norton or B&S

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
I posted this on the "Tooling Parts & Accessories" Forum but got no hits. I hope it is appropriate to post it here, where folks with vintage equipment are more likely to see it.

I need a dividing head that can be driven by the table feed. 10" for left-hand mounting (Hendey or B&S).

I am routinely in IL, IN, MO, WI, and OH, so shipping might not be required from those states.

Dr. Hillbilly:

While it is true that the ten inch Dividing Head was intended to be used on a No.2 Mill, there is absolutely no reason you can't use a
12 inch D.A. on your No.2. One thing that makes this possible is the fact that the "T" slot on both sizes of Millers is the same, 5/8".
If you are going to drive a 12 inch D.A. from the table, you may have to use an idler gear or a different gear train to compensate for
the increased center height. Consider the fact that most of the gears you will be making will be spur gears, if that is the case, then the table drive is not a consideration. So, if you can find a 12 inch D.A. with a tailstock, at a reasonable price, then buy it. At
least you have a few options concerning Dividing Heads.

Hendeyman

Thanks, I will post a request for 12" heads.
Actually I want to cut some larger gears so the 12" head might reduce the need for a riser. And the riser would require special drive gearing anyway.

The 10" heads are heavy enough already, so a 12" could place a toll upon our swiveling tables and the drives. I have a 12" Cincinnati universal and it is a horse. It was made for heavier machines.

Back