What's new
What's new

WTB small shaper (was similar to Atlas 7b)

AaronTheMechE

Plastic
I'm in the market for a shaper. I'm new to shapers and am open to many brands. Can't be too big due to limited floor space. Reply or PM if you have one you want to sell.

Last edited:
The brand you mentioned is forbidden by the site owner. You have a limited time during which you can delete your post. It would be perfectly acceptable to post a wanted to buy ad for a Sheldon or South Bend shaper, either of which would be of high quality, but still fairly small.

Larry

Hi L Vancie,

Thank you for the reply and for warning me about the rule. I am new to the forum. Could you please help show me where the rule about this is? I saw that shapers were not allowed in the classified forum, but my understanding was that it was allowed here. If this post is violation, I will remove it.

Thanks,
Aaron

I'm in the market for a shaper. I've been looking at the Atlas 7b and I think that's what I would prefer, but I'm open to others. Reply or PM if you have one you want to sell.

No big deal. You did say "similar" to.

Best bet might be a Sheldon / Sheldon-Vernon 12". I have one out of a school shop in Dayton, Ohio. They didn't get a great deal of use or abuse in that role, so they are "out there" not desperate for a rebuild.

The base/frame cabinet with enclosed Reeves Vari-Drive keeps it "relatively" compact for a max 13" working "cube" and "relatively" light @ 1805 Avoir or near-as-dammit. ISTR Sterling Machinery - and other - have downloadable .pdf manual online?

It came home over the Alleghenies in a GMC S15 short bed .. running with its 4-banger tongue hanging out like an old dog, but still. Pickup bed load, properly secured. Unless yah have a brothel-cab eatin' all the payload arredy.

Even if.. the "smaller one" has all the stroke you THINK you need? It is VERY handy to have more flexibility to "get at" and clamp / grip a feature on a large or simply awkward workpiece.. or mount a stout angle plate or a dividing or indexing head. 7" is more limiting that just the stroke. And then stuff flexes..

"Some days..." I wish the little bugger were a planer with 6 to 8 foot of travel, for example! Sadly, no space.

:)

2CW

Thank you very much.

Before I remove this thread and create an appropriate one, is the Ammco 7" shaper allowed here? It's not a brand called out, but it's a machine I'm interested in.

Thank you very much.

Before I remove this thread and create an appropriate one, is the Ammco 7" shaper allowed here? It's not a brand called out, but it's a machine I'm interested in.

The Ammco is a reasonably well regarded machine for small and light.

Nothing at all magical about it, but they work well-enough that several PM members have them.

I like the mildly stouter Sheldon - it is surely NOT a "heavy", those start at about 50% more floor space and double the mass - even for small work.

Because I tend to work Iron, steel, or the Bronzes, not shiney-wood or other plastics!

No big deal. You did say "similar" to.

Best bet might be a Sheldon / Sheldon-Vernon 12". I have one out of a school shop in Dayton, Ohio. They didn't get a great deal of use or abuse in that role, so they are "out there" not desperate for a rebuild.

The base/frame cabinet with enclosed Reeves Vari-Drive keeps it "relatively" compact for a max 13" working "cube" and "relatively" light @ 1805 Avoir or near-as-dammit. ISTR Sterling Machinery - and other - have downloadable .pdf manual online?

It came home over the Alleghenies in a GMC S15 short bed .. running with its 4-banger tongue hanging out like an old dog, but still. Pickup bed load, properly secured. Unless yah have a brothel-cab eatin' all the payload arredy.

Even if.. the "smaller one" has all the stroke you THINK you need? It is VERY handy to have more flexibility to "get at" and clamp / grip a feature on a large or simply awkward workpiece.. or mount a stout angle plate or a dividing or indexing head. 7" is more limiting that just the stroke. And then stuff flexes..

"Some days..." I wish the little bugger were a planer with 6 to 8 foot of travel, for example! Sadly, no space.

2CW

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the Sheldon / Sheldon-Vernon 12". One reason I only need the 7" stroke is that I'm mostly planning on using this for small key ways and such.

The Ammco is a reasonably well regarded machine for small and light.

Nothing at all magical about it, but they work well-enough that several PM members have them.

I like the mildly stouter Sheldon - it is surely NOT a "heavy"- even for small work because I tend to work Iron, steel, or the Bronzes, not shiney-wood!

Hmmm, I'm now strongly considering a Sheldon. What do you think about the Logan shaper?

The brand you mentioned is forbidden by the site owner. You have a limited time during which you can delete your post. It would be perfectly acceptable to post a wanted to buy ad for a Sheldon or South Bend shaper, either of which would be of high quality, but still fairly small.

Larry

All-

Thank you for all the replies to this post. It's been a big help.

It was brought to my attention that the brand mentioned is not allowed, so I'll be removing this thread and creating another one.

Thanks for bearing with me while I learn the forum.

All-

Thank you for all the replies to this post. It's been a big help.

It was brought to my attention that the brand mentioned is not allowed, so I'll be removing this thread and creating another one.

Thanks for bearing with me while I learn the forum.

Might try editing the title and first post first?

- IF.. you need "small", the UK made some really nice shapers. Some found their way across the pond.

An antique US-made Rhodes - convertible between H & V - is another handy small-footprint package.

Might try editing the title and first post first?

- IF.. you need "small", the UK made some really nice shapers. Some found their way across the pond.

An antique US-made Rhodes - convertible between H & V - is another handy small-footprint package.

Thanks for the advice.

It doesn't look like a have the option to delete so i tried your suggestion. I tried editing the title and the original post but looks like the link hasn't changed.

I guess I'll leave it up to the moderators at this point. Hopefully the thread has been useful though.

Lot of money for a shaper? Missed one at under $400 before I bought my one for under $800.

Mind bigger is often CHEAPER.

They take up a lot of space. The big ones are sore HEAVY to move.

I thought the price might be high too. I called the guy about it and he hadn't tested to make sure it works, so I'm probably passing on that one.

I think you're right that bigger might be cheaper. The shop here is just kind of limited on space.

Logan shapers are my favorite small shapers. Variable speed, stout cabinet containing the motor, beautifully scraped box and ways.
I've had Atlas/C-man, South Bend, Delta-Rockwell/Ammco, Lewis, and they'll all do the job, but I still like Logan.

Back