What's new
What's new

WTB smaller metal shaper

UP90

Plastic
Hi All,

I'm on the hunt for a smaller 7-10" metal shaper. I run a 20" G&E with universal tilting table in my blacksmith shop for making dies and dovetails, as well as facing work for tooling and jigs I make. It is a brute, and probably my favorite machine tool in my arsenal. I am looking for a smaller shaper to put next to it for smaller work, if for no other reason so I can have more dedicated setups in each shaper.

I'm located in Milwaukee, but certainly don't mind a road trip, or can always arrange shipping. Preferably something that doesn't need (much) work so I can put it to work right away. A cast base would be nice, but I can always fabricate something as well. I want to stay away from Atlas and cheaper brands.

Thank you for your time,
Aaron
(414)-795-3544

Say Aaron, if I bring you a ten inch shaper, will you bring me a 300 pound drop hammer? Preferably a strap hammer. From New Jersey if you landed one.

And yeah, I agree with Rob--show us pictures. Pretty ones--with firescale and oil and things that make us smile and help us get through these cold winter days.

(Joel Sanderson in Michigan)

How do you feel about a project and a bit of shipping? :D

I have a 10" Lewis in mechanically near-perfect shape, complete with a vise, and a mostly-complete fabricated steel base/stand made to look like it was a cast unit once ground, filled and painted.

lewis-stand-08.jpg

I'd love to keep it and finish it, but I'm seriously short on room, and I have a 16" Stockbridge I have to rebuild anyway. :D

It has a brand new 1HP single-phase motor mounted in the base, I think I have some 5-step pulleys giving that many speeds, and there's rubber feet at each corner. With a little grinding and some bodywork/filler, the base could look nicely like a cast model.

The major drawback being that I'm in Alaska. I can easily crate or pallet it and get it to a shipper, but no idea at the moment what the cost would be to get it to you. But if you're interested, I'd let it go for a reasonable offer.

Doc.

Hi All,

I'm on the hunt for a smaller 7-10" metal shaper. I'm located in Milwaukee, but certainly don't mind a road trip, or can always arrange shipping.Aaron

Aaron, I am from Minneapolis.
I have a 7" South Bend that I would like to sell. It is on the factory cabinet.
I was going to put it up at Tried & True Tools, but they have closed because the owner has retired.

Rob

I have a 10" Lewis in mechanically near-perfect shape, complete with a vise, and a mostly-complete fabricated steel base/stand made to look like it was a cast unit once ground, filled and painted.

lewis-stand-08.jpg

I'd love to keep it and finish it, but I'm seriously short on room, and I have a 16" Stockbridge I have to rebuild anyway. :D

It has a brand new 1HP single-phase motor mounted in the base, I think I have some 5-step pulleys giving that many speeds, and there's rubber feet at each corner. With a little grinding and some bodywork/filler, the base could look nicely like a cast model.

The major drawback being that I'm in Alaska. I can easily crate or pallet it and get it to a shipper, but no idea at the moment what the cost would be to get it to you. But if you're interested, I'd let it go for a reasonable offer.

Doc.

Beautiful fab job

Say Aaron, if I bring you a ten inch shaper, will you bring me a 300 pound drop hammer? Preferably a strap hammer. From New Jersey if you landed one.

And yeah, I agree with Rob--show us pictures. Pretty ones--with firescale and oil and things that make us smile and help us get through these cold winter days.

(Joel Sanderson in Michigan)

Hey Joel! Nice to see you here. Here's some pictures of my current project. Did a batch of small cast anvils. We used a perfectly proportioned 90 pound Hay-Budden anvil, and based the pattern off that. I had them cast in 4140. There is about 1/4" on the top, and 1/8" on the bottom to remove, with the draft angle. I use the shaper to remove this material fast. I can get a pretty darn nice surface finish, but I still hit them on the belt grinder for a 200g finish, and then scotchbrite.

I cleanup the rest of the casting and draft angle with files and grinders. Then I drill a hole for the hardie hole. I then throw the whole thing in the forge, I drift the hardie hole square and let the whole anvil get "scaled" up. I stamp the logo hot with my 60 ton hopkins screw press, as well as the date, weight and serial number. The idea is to make these look like small forged anvils...and I've had more than a few blacksmiths think they were forged rather than cast! :-)

43106278_322351801679290_2780508556951027712_n.jpg44183255_984878325029063_9123792528607281152_n.jpg43604481_328745497890157_5816598587483619328_n.jpgIMG_4366.jpgIMG_4376.jpg

lewis-stand-08.jpg

Doc.

Hey Doc, that's a great fabrication job! Color me impressed! I have sent you a PM.

Aaron, I am from Minneapolis.
I have a 7" South Bend that I would like to sell. It is on the factory cabinet.
I was going to put it up at Tried & True Tools, but they have closed because the owner has retired.

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks! I've sent you a PM.

Beautiful fab job

-Thanks!

An earlier job in the same vein was a stand for my Baldor buffer and grinder. Same game- I didn't want to just weld a hunk of pipe to an old truck rim like so many people do, so I did a little shaping and fitting...

bufferstand-15.jpg

A little bodywork...

bufferstand-30.jpg

And wound up with something that wasn't too far off from the factory Baldor cast stands:

bufferstand-33.jpg

I wanted the same look to the Lewis stand- not just a square-tubing frame, I wanted something that looked like the old factory cast stands. (Well, not a Lewis cast stand, because they never made one, but in the same vein as the Logan and Southbend shaper stands. :D )

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread.

Doc.

Back