What's new
What's new

WWII Brown and Sharpe #2 Universal mill parts needed

JB

Plastic
Hello group.

I recently acquired a "retired" US Navy B&S #2 universal milling machine. I'm seeking a vertical milling attachment for it. I have the boom, hangar and the "back 1/2" of the vertical attachment, but there's nothing past the bevel gear.

It also came with a full set of change gears, but is missing the dividing head, tailstock and index plate.

Any ideas where these parts might be had? I'm sure that thousands were made for the military. Gotta be a big rusty pile of 'em someplace.

Comments or ideas? Any leads that result in my obtaining these parts will result in the originator of the lead finding a goodly quantity of their favorite beverage on their porch.

I wish!! I have the same problem. Mine had the table removed at one point and everything smaller than a bread basket is missing. I see older posts where people parted a few out but haven't had any luck as of yet. It's too nice to toss and really want to put it to use but with no table gearing or controls it won't be very useful.
Please let me know if you have any luck. I'm up in Alaska and machine tools are as rare as hens teeth up here.

Hello group.

I recently acquired a "retired" US Navy B&S #2 universal milling machine. I'm seeking a vertical milling attachment for it. I have the boom, hangar and the "back 1/2" of the vertical attachment, but there's nothing past the bevel gear.

It also came with a full set of change gears, but is missing the dividing head, tailstock and index plate.

Any ideas where these parts might be had? I'm sure that thousands were made for the military. Gotta be a big rusty pile of 'em someplace.

Comments or ideas? Any leads that result in my obtaining these parts will result in the originator of the lead finding a goodly quantity of their favorite beverage on their porch.
I wish!! I have the same problem. Mine had the table removed at one point and everything smaller than a bread basket is missing. I see older posts where people parted a few out but haven't had any luck as of yet. It's too nice to toss and really want to put it to use but with no table gearing or controls it won't be very useful.
Please let me know if you have any luck. I'm up in Alaska and machine tools are as rare as hens teeth up here.
Your best bet will likely be HGR. You may have to buy the whole machine and have whatever parts you want removed. There is a good chance that attachments would be listed separately though

I've been using a B&S No. 2 A Light Universal Horizontal Mill for better than 20 years. Great medium duty machine. I have the Vertical head as well and it adds to the versatility. I have cut countless gears using an Ellis Dividing Head. I do not have any spare parts but there was a member here who had two heads that he was wanting rid of several months ago. I do have a #40 Taper to #30 Cam Lock Master
Holder made by B&S that fits the main spindle taper. It has 4 #30 Devlieg Flash Change tool holders that fit it. I'll take 300.00 + mailing for the lot. My pictures are too big for the current forum software to handle but you can see them on e-bay, or send me a 'conversation' if you are interested.

I have a B&S vertical head for Horz. mill. Came with a #2 K&T I purchased. I found it was a B&S when I needed to use it. If interested let me know. I think spindle taper is #9 B&S.
Sorry for late reply, I just returned from Vacation.

Back