What's new
What's new

WWII poster

My Machine . . .
This is my machine. Mine!
There are other machines but this one is mine.
It is a part of me – I am a part of it.
We are one.
Together we are forging the weapons of Victory –
Weapons that will strike the shackles from men who would be free-
As I am free!
With thy help, O Lord, I will bring forth the most and the best
That is possible from my machine.
It multiples the power of my hands – when my hands are on the job.
It does true work – when my brain is alert to control it.
It does not falter – unless I falter.
It does not stop – unless I forget.
In the lands of my enemies, slaves, under the whip,
Labor at machines.
But I am free!
I abide by my machine of my own free will.
No man is my master – no man my slave.
And this way is best.
It is!
By unfaltering example we shall prove it is best –
My machine and I.
By argosies of ships and tanks and planes,
In the only language the enemy understands,
We shall prove it.
This is our pledge – mine and my machine’s –
Till Freedom’s light comes on again.

A tribute to America's Greatest Generation.

And their machines.

Joe in NH

That sums it up very well:).

The enemy and wars have changed, but the pride and connection to the work still hold true, or SHOULD hold true today.

Thanks for posting that!

It is a great poster with what should be timeless sentiments. The turret lathes used so much in WWII production work are long gone, nearly extinct, replaced by CNC turning centers. The white toolmaker's apron is nearly extinct as well. The brass time check or badge hanging from the turret lathe operator's apron is also extinct, replaced by "card keys" or some similar plastic card that gets "swiped" through a reader to get in the plant gate and to clock in or out. The high windows letting in the natural light in a shop are also a bygone thing with energy efficiency, required air changes to maintain a good air quality, and close tolerance work requiring good HVAC and possibly close control of temperature in the shops. Hopefully, with most of what is in the photo being nearly extinct, the basic ethic and the man behind it are not.

I have an American Flag in a frame on the way down into my own shop. The flag is printed on a piece of parachute silk, and has a message in all the major languages of the Pacific Theater during WWII (Chinese, Japanese, Annamese, French, Lao, Thai, Korean) and an identifying number on it. The message translates to read: "I am an American Aviator. My aircraft is destroyed. My enemies are the Japanese. Please conduct me to Allied Lines. My government will pay your expenses." This flag and message were carried by US air crews in the Pacific. If shot down, they could use it to communicate with whomever they encountered in hopes of being given safe passage to Allied lines.

Mom was teaching school in Brooklyn in the 1960's when she found that flag and message in a frame, in a garbage can in the school. The mat surrounding the flag and message reads that it was presented to a bank in appreciation of their help with the Victory Loan, dated 1945.

Mom had experienced WWII, having her husband (my father) overseas fighting in Europe, and her two brothers in the US Army in Europe as well. Mom worked as a statistician for the Office of War Information, so had a better grasp than the average person on the street of what was happening in both Europe and the Pacific Theaters. When Mom saw that framed flag in the garbage (some contractor doing renovation work had tossed it there), she snatched it. Initially, Mom said she simply would not see the US flag laying in the garbage, but when she looked closer and read the message (the French is easily understandable, even if a person does not speak French), she realized the significance. Mom took that flag home and gave it to me. We hung it on my bedroom wall, and it remained there until they sold their house, then as a married man when we bought out first house, it was hung there. It's been on our walls ever since.

It was a different time. I am also reminded of a story of Joe Foss. Joe Foss was a flier in WWII, a Marine Pilot in the Pacific. He wond the Congressional Medal of Honor. Joe Foss was born and raised on a farm in South Dakota. As a teenager, Foss' father was killed in an accident, so Joe Foss had to work to support his widowed mother and younger siblings. He made it through school, and went into WWII. After WWII, Joe Foss returned to South Dakota and, in time, was elected governor. Joe Foss lived to a ripe old age. I bring up Joe Foss' name as an incident that happened to Joe Foss when he was a very old man seems indicative of the times we live in. Foss was travelling somewhere or other on a commercial airline flight. As he passed through security screening, a smaller-sized version of the Congressional Medal of Honor which he had on him, having a pin back, set off the metal detector. The security screeners attempted to confiscate that medal from Joe Foss, claiming no knowledge of what that medal was, let alone who Joe Foss was. It turned into a minor incident. I think Joe Foss took his medal and refused to give it up and did not take that flight. The screeners were hired from some rent-a-cop agency and were said to be either recent immigrants or in the country on work visas. Foss tried to explain to them and to their boss or supervisor, but got nowhere. Sad commentary on the times we live in. Instead of thanking Joe Foss for his service to our country and maybe telling him it was an honor to meet him, they gave him a hard time.

It is stories like what happened to Joe Foss which have me wondering how many people would take the sentiments on the poster in this thread seriously. We live in an era where the younger generations have an incredible sense of entitlement, and an incredible lack of responsibility. There are exceptions to this, but by and large, the younger generations do not know what it is to fight for the freedom and lifestyle they now enjoy, nor would they stoop to working in a defense plant, having to come in to work on time, and getting cutting oil on their hands. A small portion of this younger generation has volunteered for the military and fought in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they are a minority. We had one of the young vets as an apprentice mechanic in the crew when I worked in the powerplant. It was refreshing to be around that young man, kind of a throwback to earlier generations. I vowed that as long as I was working in the powerplant, I would do my level best to teach that young man all I could and make sure he had the best possible time on the job. As I told everyone in our department, that young man had paid the dues for all the rest of us. I got no arguments. He's now a fine journeyman, and I am proud to have worked with him. I'm retired now, but when I see the old crew, he always makes sure to give me a good hug. It's young men like him who are the continuum of what's on that poster.

I am a baby boomer, a child of the generation that is called the "greatest generation", and I am 66. I learned a lot from my parents and people like them. I tried to pass as much of this as I could along to my own children and it seems to have taken root.

And they did just that and more. Admiral King's Official Reports To the Secretary of the Navy state that by the summer of '45, we were shipping SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND TONS per month - just to support the Pacific War

That is one impressive pile of stuff to get done in 30 days

Last edited:
And they did just that and more. Admiral King's Official Reports To the President state that by the summer of '45, we were shipping SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND TONS per month - just to support the Pacific War

That is one impressive pile of stuff to get done in 30 days

Amen to that John .it was the USA's capacity for production that saved our bacon, Britain was at full stretch and not keeping up.

I look at the war materiel supplied during WWII. Whether it was vehicles, artillery pieces, small arms, munitions, mobile field kitchens, and inifintely more things ranging from belt buckles and small folding can openers (which came in the field rations) to battleships and aircraft. What runs through my mind is how much work it took to make all of it, and how our country mobilized and retooled quickly to do it. I think of how there had to have been endless legions of draftsmen to get out the drawings- and run blueprints of them ion a slow process, followed by equally large legions of toolmakers to produce drill jigs, fixtures, form tools, dies, special cutting tools and anything else needed to get into production. An even larger legion of people ranging from HS kids to former housewives and elderly people filled the ranks in the plants to run the production machinery. I think of the endless turret lathes, screw machines, gang drills, production milling machines (such as Nichols made), as well as conventional manual machine tools all setup for production work. Knowing something of machine shop work and having seen plenty of "war production board" machine tools along the way, I can only think that there must have been so much manufacturing going on in the USA to support the war effort. 71 years after peace was had, we are still finding WWII surplus tooling- specialized cutting tools, odd jigs and fixtures- that turn up in corners of old machine shops. I look at something like the instrumentation on some of the WWII guns, or some of the electro mechanical fire control systems and marvel at the work that went into designing them and then producing them in large numbers. Work like that makes producing a rifle seem almost elementary.

As far as sending 600,000 tons of war materiel and supplies in one month to the Pacific, this was not the entire story. It took merchant ships to get it all across the Pacific. US shipyards were going flat out, and new yards were built in record time to produce merchant ships for the war effort. Shipyards sprang up and new ships went down the ways from those yards in under a year. People who never worked in shipyards or machine shops or similar were trained and went to work. On one of my visits to my Mom- age 98- out in Walnut Creek, CA, Mom suggested we go to the "Rosie the Riveter" museum out in Richmond, CA. Mom and I did. It was great. A woman of color also in her 90's gave a talk about having been worked in the shipyards during WWII. She gave an interesting perspective, since discrimination on the job continued despite the urgency of the war. Despite this, she was proud to have done her part for the war effort. People worked at all sorts of jobs during WWII. As a young man, I'd run into people who were contemporaries of my parents. They'd tell me of working during WWII at various jobs. One woman told me she had spent the war years oxy-acetylene welding bomb casings. Another woman told me she had spent the war years winding armatures for small motors. The big defense plants were the obvious, but there were so many smaller shops set up to handle subcontract work.

In those days, we supplied the raw materials- whether it was iron ore or cotton or wool or copper or wood as well as foodstuffs. We converted those raw materials into war materiel and supplies in US plants. We shipped it over on US flagged ships manned by US merchant marine crews.

Fast forward to the present day. If we took a hard look at the gear a modern day soldier is equipped with, how much of it is US made from US materials ? The standard sidearm now is a Beretta pistol, Beretta having built a plant here in the USA to meet the contractual requirements. What about the boots, clothing, GPS, and other personal gear a soldier is outfitted with ? We can get on quite a tear, as the Continental Engine division which furnishes engines to the Department of Defense is still in the USA, but owned by the People's Republic of China. The plant which produces Lexan plastic, used in many applications including some forms of composite armor, is now Saudi owned. The microcircuit chips and similar formerly produced by IBM as part of contracts from the US Department of Defense are now produced by Global Foundries- located in the USA, but owned by an investment group from the United Arab Emirates if I am not mistaken. Some of the smaller generating sets have Yanmar Japanese diesel engines. It used to be that anything for the Department of Defense had to be US made from US materials, but not so anymore. The kind of spirit and fast retooling we saw in WWII may well be a thing of the past, sad to say.

Fast forward to the present day. If we took a hard look at the gear a modern day soldier is equipped with, how much of it is US made from US materials ? The standard sidearm now is a Beretta pistol, Beretta having built a plant here in the USA to meet the contractual requirements. What about the boots, clothing, GPS, and other personal gear a soldier is outfitted with ? We can get on quite a tear, as the Continental Engine division which furnishes engines to the Department of Defense is still in the USA, but owned by the People's Republic of China. The plant which produces Lexan plastic, used in many applications including some forms of composite armor, is now Saudi owned. The microcircuit chips and similar formerly produced by IBM as part of contracts from the US Department of Defense are now produced by Global Foundries- located in the USA, but owned by an investment group from the United Arab Emirates if I am not mistaken. Some of the smaller generating sets have Yanmar Japanese diesel engines. It used to be that anything for the Department of Defense had to be US made from US materials, but not so anymore. The kind of spirit and fast retooling we saw in WWII may well be a thing of the past, sad to say.

Joe, so much of this sort of capability has been "sold" overseas - done so in the quest the almighty dollar gained by cheap labor.

My own experience mirrors this in part. Working in a Stone & Webster designed trash burning powerplant, it didn't take them long to find and use my capabilities - not the least of which was repair of General Electric steam turbines.

One day I was called into the office and asked to render an opinion regarding the "blow out diaphragms" used on most modern turbine exhaust casings. (side note: blow out diaphragms are used as a sort of replaceable "safety valve" to prevent overpressure of the turbine exhaust hoods in the event of loss of circulating condensing water. A sudden loss of water would cause the operating turbine to steam pressurize the casing, possibly resulting in an explosion were it not for the diaphragms as a planned vent and "weak spot.")

Anyway, I asked for and was allowed to study the drawings. Modern photocopies of blue print or sepia originals, very obvious was an "applied" title block in the lower RH corner of the copy. The applied title read "Hitachi Works" in large lettering and all the usual pertinent drawing information: scale, date, Hitachi Industry control number, etc.

But not so obvious was a "shadow" appearing in the title block showing what the applied title block was only imperfectly covering.

"General Electric - Steam Turbine Division - Schenectady, NY"

I asked my Dad (a former GE Service Engineer later VP of New England Power Co.) about that as he was still alive.

"What size this turbine?"

"40 MW says I"

"Oh, that was one of the Umpty Zero, Epsilon (sic) series turbines, the designs of which were sold to Hitachi before Hitachi ultimately absorbed the Large Turbine Division from GE."

Joe, it's all about the dollar - what we were supposedly fighting for in World War II.

But traded (and are trading) our freedoms for as we speak.

Being the sole source has advantage MORE than just financial.

Joe in NH

I have asked a question on other forums before..........and have not ever gotten a satisfactory answer. WWII caused all major manufacturers to cease normal production and focus on war production (or so the story goes) I have a good deal of IH stuff and have done a good deal of reading, along with what dad has told me. New tractors were impossible to get......and supposedly not being built, yet IH production numbers only went down slightly during the war.........and today, there are many remaining models with casting numbers to support their production during that time. So where were they? Hoarded up somewhere? There are pictures of tractors coming down the production line intermingled with war production.
That makes the production capacity even more amazing, that there could be somewhat normal production going on, while at the same time war production in addition.
The most noticeable things they did, was to replace the rubber gearshift knob with cast iron ones....others had no electrical system, no starter or generator.

I have asked a question on other forums before..........and have not ever gotten a satisfactory answer. WWII caused all major manufacturers to cease normal production and focus on war production (or so the story goes) I have a good deal of IH stuff and have done a good deal of reading, along with what dad has told me. New tractors were impossible to get......and supposedly not being built, yet IH production numbers only went down slightly during the war.........and today, there are many remaining models with casting numbers to support their production during that time. So where were they? Hoarded up somewhere? There are pictures of tractors coming down the production line intermingled with war production.
That makes the production capacity even more amazing, that there could be somewhat normal production going on, while at the same time war production in addition.
The most noticeable things they did, was to replace the rubber gearshift knob with cast iron ones....others had no electrical system, no starter or generator.

A lot of tractors etc etc came over here on Lend Lease, many many were not so much ''War Finish'' as cut to the bone ''War Spec''

Apart from going to bolster our food production (which was in a mess prior to the war due to a Gov't policy of relying on imported food!) the military used a lot of tractors, especially bomber airfields as tugs and bomb haulers, as did construction and forestry.

Limy Sam:

I recall seeing many pictures in magazines & books of the WWII era showing women working the fields in England. The tractors shown are almost always US manufacturers' products. If I am not mistaken, there was something called the "Land Army", a program in England and maybe Scotland to get people not in the military or in defense work to work the land for food production. If there was a government program to train people and put them to working the land for food production, getting tractors during wartime would make sense. I recall seeing photos in old issues of "National Geographic" about Britain's "Land Army", and the photos showed women using a John Deere tractor. Other photos showed women maintaining and repairing the tractors and implements. All were made by US firms, and I remember wondering whether those firms had plants in Britain at the time, or whether the tractors & implements were exported from the USA.

I am not sure, but somewhere I had heard that in the USA, tractors were available to farmers during WWII. What I also heard was that with rubber and particularly tires being rationed to the civilian population, the tractors came through with steel wheels. I forget the source, and it may be just hearsay, but it does make sense.

There is an age-old saying: "An Army travels on its stomach". Without food, the best equipped military forces will not get anywhere. It would make sense that tractor and ag implement makers were told to keep in production for the war effort, just as machine tool builders and construction machinery builders were kept in production. A big firm like International Harvester had a lot of divisions manufacturing everything from tractors and implements to refrigerators. While the tractor and ag implement division might have been kept in production for the war effort, other divisions were re-tooled for defense work. To illustrate how thorough the re-tooling of US industry was for the war effort, an old friend had a ship's magnetic compass he had "liberated" in the 50's when his US Navy destroyer was decommissioned. He pointed out that the compass was made by Lionel- best known as a maker of toy electric trains.

My LeBlond roundhead Regal lathe was shipped on 26 July, 1943. LeBlond supplied me with the ship date and first owner. The first owner was a firm (still in business) called Ertel Engineering. During WWII, Ertel was building specialized filters for the production of penicillin. The lathe came with a shop made steady rest, built to handle large diameter work- probably tubing or similar for filter bodies. Not all firms engaged in work for the war effort were producing the obvious munitions or armaments or military vehicles or uniforms. Firms producing medication and the means to produce the medication, as well as various foodstuffs were going full blast.

At Canjoharie, NY there was the old "Beechnut" baby food factory. Canjoharie is in the Mohawk Valley, a rich agricultural region with dairy and vegetable farming as well as being on the New York Central RR and NYS barge canal. A man named Bernie, who worked in my old crew at the powerplant, had been born in 1929. Bernie told me that his father was disabled (fell off a silo) when Bernie was 12. His schooling ended and he was boarded out to another farmer as his family could not keep him at home. At age 12, Bernie was a husky kid. The farm where he was working was not far from the Beechnut plant. Bernie said it was obvious we'd be in the war before too long, or maybe Beechnut already had contracts to supply foodstuffs for export to our allies. Either way, he said Beechnut was building a huge expansion to their original plant to produce rations rather than baby food. After December of 1941, most young men were being drafted unless deferred for defense work. The result was the contractors building the Beechnut plant needed laborers and would hire nearly anyone. Bernie had been milking cows and doing farm work, and was ready to make some real money. He said he showed up at the Beechnut jobsite and asked the contractor for a laborer's job. The foreman told him he was a kid and too young. Bernie said they had a test: wheel a wheelbarrow heaped with sand up a plank ramp and back down again. Other men were not able to do this. Bernie said he took the wheelbarrow up and down the ramp, and promptly was hired as a laborer. He said all through WWII, there was no shortage of good jobs for anyone left at home and able to do them. Remington Arms was a bit west in the Mohawk Valley at Ilion, NY and they were flat-out on defense work. Further west, at Utica, Smith Corona typewriter and Stevens Arms and a host of smaller factories were flat-out on defense work. At Rome, NY, there were copper mills, and further west, in Syracuse, there were a larger number of factories all on defense work. The result was anyone who was not in the military and could walk in the door and function reasonably well was able to find work. Bernie said the farmers were hurting for farm labor as a result.

My first boss at the powerplant was Dick Davis. Dick was a real character from Maine. Dick had been in high school when WWII broke out. He lived in Maine, near Portland. Dick said he worked a split shift in a shipyard in Portland. Dick went to HS for part of the day, then went to the shipyard to work his shift. He was put to work welding on Liberty ships. As he told it, he was the only male in his gang, working with older women. He rode an old Indian motorcycle to and from the shipyard. In his junior year, Dick was just 17. He asked his parents to sign his enlistment papers and entered the US Marine Corps. Dick, having entered the Corps late in the war, never left the USA. He was put to guarding German POW's for the most part. Dick wound up a Gunnery Sergeant when he was discharged in about 1946. At that point, he returned to finish high school. He told me it was quite an experience to return to his high school as a veteran, let alone a USMC gunny. He had little or no patience for the kids around him and the stuff they were thinking about or doing. He said it was hard to adjust to high school after being in the Marines. He did graduate, and attended University of Maine and got his degree as a mechanical engineer. Dick was a great guy to work for and really a fine man. He died this past year, age 90. Young for his people, who all seemed to die after passing the century mark. Bernie died a good number of years prior. Those guys, along with my parents, were the kind of people who would have related well to the poster in this thread.

On the other hand, Dick Davis and I had a little debate about slugging welds on work in the powerplant. Slugging being throwing nails, wire, and small scraps of steel into a weld joint with a wide gap or a lot of passes needed- a means of making a large weld happen quicker, or dealing with a wide root gap. It was later found to be a contributing cause to some of the welded-hull WWII merchant ships breaking apart in heavy seas or even at the pier. I had found powerplant mechanic slugging welds and stopped them, and this wound up in Dick Davis' office. Dick whistled through his teeth and said he and the ladies on his shift did it routinely when welding on Liberty ship hulls. I like to think Dick, being just a kid when he was a hull welder, no formal education about the work, just being trained to be a production welder. He did not know of the failure potential caused by slugging the welds and would have been otherwise like the man in the poster.

Limy Sam:

I recall seeing many pictures in magazines & books of the WWII era showing women working the fields in England. The tractors shown are almost always US manufacturers' products. If I am not mistaken, there was something called the "Land Army", a program in England and maybe Scotland to get people not in the military or in defense work to work the land for food production. If there was a government program to train people and put them to working the land for food production, getting tractors during wartime would make sense. I recall seeing photos in old issues of "National Geographic" about Britain's "Land Army", and the photos showed women using a John Deere tractor. Other photos showed women maintaining and repairing the tractors and implements. All were made by US firms, and I remember wondering whether those firms had plants in Britain at the time, or whether the tractors & implements were exported from the USA.

I am not sure, but somewhere I had heard that in the USA, tractors were available to farmers during WWII. What I also heard was that with rubber and particularly tires being rationed to the civilian population, the tractors came through with steel wheels. I forget the source, and it may be just hearsay, but it does make sense. .

Joe ;- The Land Army etc etc is all correct, ....women went in to the forests as well (known as ''TimberJills'') where the bulk of production was for coal mine pit props and railway sleeper (rail cross ties)

Farms over here were also small, especially compared to the grain praries etc etc

UK tractor factories ;- Were few in number and small by comparison, and with the availability of tractors from the USA, most of them were put on alternative war work. IIRC one of the few British tractors that were available - but in very limited numbers during the war was the single cylinder Marshall (the Field Marshall coming after the war).

Steel wheels ;- again true Joe, ...over here they were known as ''Spadelugs'' and all the wartime John Deere 3 wheelers I've come across that were supplied with spadelugs, where they had high range gears, said gears were blanked off with simple spacers in place of the gears, .......FWIW anything over 5mph on spadelugs on a hard surface is unbearably bone shaking :eek:

Selling out the country for a quick buck.... Not the first to point this out. Anyone ever heard of Milo Minderbender?

Milo Minderbinder was a character in the movie about WWII named "Catch 22". He would sell anything to anyone if the price was right. He made deals and contracts with both sides.

The term "Catch 22" came from the mental evaluation of the air crews who were supposed to fly 25 bombing missions before returning home. The crews would regularly be evaluated and those found mentally incompetent would no longer have to fly. "Catch 22" was a rule that said "if you felt you were mentally incompetent you obviously had sufficient mental ability to make that assessment. By making such an assessment you proved you actually were competent and therefore had to continue flying missions".

Cutting down steel wheels to put on rubber tires was quite an industry after the war. Dad's family had an F-20 that they took to Montgomery Wards to have cut down for rubber (I have that tractor) I have another H that looks to have been converted from steel.
My aunt and uncle had a real war production H, it didn't have a starter or generator.
After the war, you had to get on a list to buy a new tractor, it was a points system IIRC, being a vet was a must.

I have nothing but admiration for those folk. Although the US had a thriving production industry with many trained machinists, I suspect that a fair proportion of the workers also came from their basement "hobby" shops.

Why, then, are we so maligned here today, with our manual South Bends, Deltas, and yes, even Craftsman and Atlas? Although we may lack the wherewithal, time, or interest in the big noisies, don't we still have (or ask for) the same basic respect for out machines and our products? After all, even if our computers won't run, our lathes will.

For those who care to take the time to look for it, there's a pretty amusing film titled _The_Land_Girls_ and
goes into some details about what conditions were for the women to did this. Later made into a series.

I recommend it.

Sami-as you say where would we be if we had to win the war with Marshalls eh? I'd rather drive my Farmall in high gear with full steel then sit on one. (profuse apologies to at least one member here who owns one)Big single horizontal engines are best bolted to the floor? I wish our modern tractors were as reliable as the wartime greats-case/farmall/oliver/JD etc though the 500hr oil-change is a fair step from washing out the aircleaner every day?

Back