What's new
What's new

Yet another lathe identification thread? yep

Praxis173

Plastic
Hi All, I need a bit of help identifying a lathe I picked up for restoration a month back. It will be quite the project as its missing the back half of the back gearing...

Anyway about the lathe, it's a 10" over the bed swing with 30" between centers gap bed lathe, swing in the gap is ~12". The ways are flat style dove tails. There are no identifying marks or part numbers on any of the castings.

Attached are some pics from when I picked it up and more recently and a short video I shot before I really started the tear down.

IMG_7526.jpgIMG_7598.jpgIMG_7599.jpg
Short video here:

Cheers and thanks for any and all help.

Been doing that and now know its has elements from about half a dozen 1880's to 1910 UK lathes but in most cases is significantly bigger than those. Everytime I find one where I have to stop and look at my photos its like yes that's it.... no that bits different or mine is too big etc.

So what I know so far...
The tail stock is very like a Drummond.
The bed is much like a Grayson, just bigger.
The back gearing used the eccentric method (there's no room to slide the back gears across).
I think the compound is from another lathe as its missing the mount to set the compound angle.
- I think I can fit a mounting base for the compound in if I change the tool post out to a simpler older style, likely more in keeping with what was there originally anyway.

Ok back to cleaning up the parts...

Back