What's new
What's new

computer down -- a.k.a.: James' private thread . . .

james robert

Stainless
Hi all, I am posting this thread from the museum computer as mine bit the dust today and Im not sure how long it will take to fix it anyway I will try to keep up on what is going on here from this computer but it will be intermitent.

Thank you.

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Intermittent computer access . . .

James,

Sorry you will be intermittent -- please try to vote in the election. I think I will make the poll run two weeks to give you & others who might be on vacation more time to vote.

Computer up

Hi all, All it took was a new CD ROM and a modem the modem was fried and the CD ROM wouldn't open plus there were some errors in the files that made it hard to install the modem. I have been banging away at this most of the day until something worked. Now I have an upgraded modem and the system has been upgraded also. Should be good to go for a while:)

Thank you.

James

Map

Archie, I thought that I would post this here instead of starting another thread. I have noticed that the map has dropped off the board. Something I have been thinking about for some time now is why not make it a sticky.

Thank you.

James

Thank you Archie. I think while hashing out the logistics of a haul it would be more handy to be able to go to the top of the page and click on the map instead of finding the map post, scrolling to the map and then having to go back to where you started. If there were a way to have it automatically appear at the top of every thread would even be better.

Thank you.

James

Keep that thought . . .

James,

Another good idea, but I will put off implementing it until we have accomplished our election of officers. I am hoping to be the AMHG map czar . . .

We still need eight more votes to reach a quorum!

If anyone reading this has not voted, please go here to vote.

Last edited:
Unsticky . . .

James,

The information on the membership list is available on the haulers' group map.

I am no longer taking the extra time to put the same information in two places, but I left the list as it was and took away sticky status from it. It is now at the bottom of this forum (2nd page as I am typing this).

Hi all, I thought I should post that my PC went tango uniform two days ago and I will have to use the computer at the museum for a while until I can get another one.

I will check in from time to time but it wont be very frequent.

Thank you.

James

Hi all, The computer is working again still has a few bugs to be worked out:crazy:

I was looking at the map and had an idea why not take all the balloons off of the map and have it where when you click on the name the balloon appears in its proper location. I find it confusing when trying to find a certain member especially in the northeast where the balloons are so clustered that it practically takes a cursor surgeon. Also the balloons block out the states adding further confusion at least to me:)

Thank you.

James

James,

Google maps provide a pretty rich environment to program features into a map, but it still takes some time to either research how to do something or to find a sample program that can be used. I will consider your suggestions, but cannot promise when I will have time to do it. I already have a lot of features left over from my initial programming of the map. These include being able to generate distances and routes between members -- I know that this would be very useful, but it takes a lot of extra programming and I have not had the time.

Here are a few tips & things you may not yet have tried:

o If you click on the + button in the upper left corner of the map, you can zoom in as far as you want and then the balloons get spread out and you can see the states better. This makes it easy to see which balloons belong to which members.

o You can click at the bottom and turn of some of the specialty groups (haulers, transferrers, & supporters).

o The map has a lot of other features -- basically, you can point and click and do a lot of things. For example, you can click down and hold when ever the cursor is a hand and then drag the map around.
Thank you,

Archie

P.S.: Some of us in the northeast could quit the group if that would make the map more balanced. Actually, it would be better for more westerners to join . . .

P.P.S.: I made a sticky that you asked for earlier to serve as a short-cut to the haulers' group map. You can use the bookmark function in your web browser, but when you are no a different computer, the map link will also be easy to find.

Balloonless in the high plains

"o If you click on the + button in the upper left corner of the map, you can zoom in as far as you want and then the balloons get spread out and you can see the states better. This makes it easy to see which balloons belong to which members.

o You can click at the bottom and turn of some of the specialty groups (haulers, transferrers, & supporters).

o The map has a lot of other features -- basically, you can point and click and do a lot of things. For example, you can click down and hold when ever the cursor is a hand and then drag the map around."

Thanks Archie, I had forgotten about those features and have used them before. The only problem is the more you zoom in the smaller the area that can be viewed and if you drag the map very far then you will lose the start point. It leaves a bit to the imagination but it works and I know that I can be a pain sometimes just thought that it might be a good idea.

I sure hope no one quits the group and you are right we need more members in the west but since the group started there have been a good number of new volunteers from that area. Although the distances are great it is becoming more feasible for regular coast to coast transfers.

You mentioned that there has not been much going on in this sub forum lately in another thread. I think that when the weather gets better it will pick up and recruitment, !!especially!! if we have another trip posted like Jim & Robert's Arkansas haul that John posted in the Antique machinery forum.

Thank you.

James

Marshall's plight

In the haulers group sign up sticky on the antiques forum Dave Kamp mentioned that Marshall Henderson's buildings were collapsed do to the heavy snow and also stated that he was going to check in with him to survey the damage.

I am curious as to what the damage is and if there is anything that can be done to help. Dave if its not out of line have you been there and what is his situation.

Thank you.

James

Without taking liberties...

I won't take great liberties to explain in detail, but Marshall's area was subjected to very high snow-load, ice, and wind this winter. I was fortunate as to have same ice and wind, but less long-term snow accumulation, but his farm buildings... where most of his collection is stored, were flattened. Initially, back when the accumulation started getting serious, it looked like one portion of one roof was going to fail... and at that time, enough pressure would've been relieved to keep the building standing. There was substantial support from adjoining portions of the structure, however, the roof didn't fail- instead, that portion of the structure collapsed. At the time, he was able to get in and prop up the damaged segment, but excessive load meant the rest of the structure was under extreme stress.

A little more snow, followed by high wind (typical here) broke up more segments of the building, and took it to the ground. This wasn't a 'simple' square building- it was a barn with additions all around, and it's all one big pile'a mess now.

From what I understand, at least one other, and possibly two, that suffered the same fate.

Nothing can be done right now- because of the snowmelt, and ice blocking drainage in an otherwise flat area, this area of the farm has 4" of standing water atop a foot of mud, and from a foot down to about 5 feet, it's still frozen. Until that's all thawed out, there will still be a pond, so keeping that in mind, he won't be able to get any machinery in there until at least mid-june. As for the machinery, well, hard to say. Regardless of how BAD it may be, I'm sure Marshall won't declare ANYTHING a 'total loss'... provided it can be extracted, and hasn't become crushed-beyond-recovery by the building. It will be lots of hard work, and as yet, there is no plan, nor no need to worry about making a plan until such time as it is actually accessible. We can be certain that the buildings won't be rebuilt- there's no economic capacity to do so.

But this much is certain- his 60" x 360" Rockford lathe is still intact, undamaged, and well wrapped in it's storage position about 90' from the collapsed buildings. Perhaps, if it were in one of those buildings, it would've provided enough support to prevent collapse, but we're glad that we don't have to find out, as it takes a little bit more than a hand-dolly and engine-hoist to move.

DK :-\

"We can be certain that the buildings won't be rebuilt- there's no economic capacity to do so"

Bottom line, Marshall will be in need of construction materials sometime in June.

Since this is a haulers group and there is surplus building material out there I just wonder if the rules could be bent just a little bit to allow construction material to be shipped. I know this is a bit premature as Marshall will have to take inventory of what can be salvaged and plan a new structure but in the mean time I would think tarps and pallets would come in handy to cover what is pulled from the wreckage.

Thank you.

James

Hi all, I need to talk to David-Hepaestus72. I haven't heard from him or seen any posts lately Does anyone have a phone #no. or a way to let him know that I would like to speak with him.

Thank you.

James

Back