What's new
What's new

Dave's upcoming assignments

DaveKamp

Titanium
Hi All!

Having found nothing else obvious, here's a possible way to keep 'yall posted on what I'm scheduled for.

My next assignment will most likely occur first week of October, travelling from Iowa to the Winston-Salem NC. area. As usual, these assignments can change with very short notice, but frequently go just-as-planned. Contact me via PM and/or email if a transport need arises! dave^kampnet*net.

Thanks Dave . . .

This is a good idea, Dave, but because only haulers' group members can see the threads in our sub-forum, I suggest that we all help Dave and the old iron cause by keeping an eye out for people who might need Dave's help. Remember that the group can extend a haul made by Dave by relaying a machine.

If any of us reads a post about an old machine (and/or a machine adopter) that is along Dave's travel path post in this thread regarding the details. If you think it is appropriate mention (in a public thread) that this could be a possible case where Dave and the haulers' group could possibly help. (Notice that you should not guarantee that we can do it -- that comes later in the process, so be careful not to say more than that it might be possible.)

P.S.: In a few minutes I hit the road to go help jimboggs haul the Lucas HBM to Tuckahoe, so I will be only sporadically able to get on line . . .

Last edited:
Davenport, Iowa to Alexandra, MN and back

Hi All!

Next biz trip will be from Davenport, Iowa to Alexandra, MN... just northwest of St. Cloud.

Call me if something needs moved!
563-343-3014

Nothing moved... sorta...

Had only one request to move stuff on this sortie, and scheduling didn't permit me to pick up the bucket of Niles parts from Jim B and forward it to Minneapolis, on account of this:

This is Marshall's trailer- I towed from DesMoines to Lake City, MN, and dropped it off at a buddy's place.

On the way back, I swung by, we loaded this honey on, and after messin' around a bit, I towed it to my place.

Now, I have 6000 forking pounds of mobile lifting capacity...

Yes, those are extra-long forks... they're about 14' long, and feature 4' of drop... for lifting boats out of water. I get the original material forks, too, but hafta catch 'em on some other trip.

I won't list 'em, but this particular haul wasn't necessarily compliant to all aspects of various regulations, nor would it have been endorsed by safety assessment administrators, but it didn't exceed the tow vehicle's ratings or capacity, and never posed a risk of control loss. No animals were harmed, investments are not guaranteed and could lose value- your mileage may vary, see store for details. May cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, side effects include shortness of breath, blurry vision and dry mouth. Contact your physician if your erection lasts longer than three days, especially if she's really hot.

Attachments

• Sideview2.jpg
    Sideview2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 173
  • zoomin2.jpg
    zoomin2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 171
Hi Dave, Nice forklift and the trailer too I dont know if you mentioned what kind of fork lift it is I used to prefure Hyster over Clark lift as the controlls seemed to be better on the Hyster. I wouldnt think that it would have the same lifting capacity with 14' forks. Have you tryed it out on anything yet.

Thank you.

James:)

Hi James...

This is a Clark IT-60. I've operated everything from a BT electric stocker up to a Wiggins Marina-Bull, as well as backhoes, articulated loaders, skid-steers... and they're all just machines to me, so I'm control-layout adaptable.

If I recall the data plate correctly, this IT-60's rated capacity is 6000lbs at 24" load-center up 96". She'll set a pallet at about 35'. With 14' marine forks, the lift capacity at the end of the forks is substantially lower, especially with the mast tipped forward, but boats typically have the engines mounted in back.

I got this one from a college roommate who owns a marina up in Minnesota... he's giving me the standard 4' material forks and headache rack, too... I even got the parts book, two pumps, two steering rams, and a pile of notes and reciepts... as well as one boat-rack and one man-basket. She leaks everything but coolant, so I'll be working on, and spending money on it, but it'll shift around MOST of the machines that I'd have around... and of course, it'll help me finish building the rolling gantry, which I'll use not only on those heavy loads, but also to lift out the IT-60's mast ram and counterweight, so that I can give her the TLC she needs.

Can't beat the price... I didn't even hafta pay for the fuel to transport. I WILL hafta replace one of Marshall's trailer wheel/tire assemblies... it apparently had a bead unseat, she went flat, and rolled off somewhere at the interchange 10 miles from home, never to be seen or heard-from since.

I've used this lift many times in the last geez... 15 years. Back when I was in college, I made regular weekend trips up to Allen's marina, and helped 'em winterize in the fall, and launch in the spring... we'd do repairs in the summer, and clean up the property in winter. I've probably had 200 operating hours on this very machine already.

And I had it unloaded a whole two minutes before putting it to work shufflin' stuff around. Later in the afternoon, I plopped a big pallet on it, and poked the pallet through one of our new windows, to move a pile of busted concrete out of a construction area. Works great, just leaks alot.

Dave , Don't know if you would be interested but there was a big Tow motor probably 10.000 lb capacity that sat just up the block along side the road for a couple of years. I think it belonged to an auto repair shop just a few houses up the block from me anyway the city made them move it last summer and I think that they towed it back to there yard.

If it is still there I could find out what they want for it if it is for sale. It looked to be all there but did not run and might go cheep.

The idea crossed my mind before but I probably couldn't afford to do the repairs.

Thank you.

James

Assignment change...

That'd be an excellent idea, Robert- at 10k capacity, it's probably pretty heavy... and I now have a forklift, so don't need another...

...BUT...

There's probably someone in the hauler's group that COULD put it to good use...

SO check with 'em, see if they wanna part with it, find out how much, and also give it a thorough lookin' over, snap pix, shoot a pic of the capacity plate, engine, etc., and post it all... if there's someone interested, we'll see about gettin' it in their hands.

On the down-news side, I've been re-assigned to a Pennsylvania job... Mifflinville, and my drive out and drive back will be pretty hasty. I WILL be towing a company trailer, it'll be loaded on the way out... I'm not sure wether it'll be loaded on the return trip or not.

In any event, Sweet 16 will hafta wait for another opportunity.

Speaking of opportunities . . .

Dave,

Is it possible that you will have room for about 800 pounds of mechanical press that JunkyardJ is holding in MI for crann? If so, I think we could deliver it to you on I-80 near Toledo and off-load at your destination (Mifflinville).

I also (only yesterday) acquired a "tombstone" (large angle plate) for the Tuckahoe Lucas HBM from xtrucker_99. It is only 200# and is a much lower priority than the press. Same deal for I-80 -- you are doing a lot already & we will not add to your miles.

10k towmotor

The towmotor although on the large side, might be useful to the restoration effort at Bethlehem Steel. Check with Rick R. If he's interested, maybe the transportation details could be worked out.

Dangit...

Dangit...

Well, my assignment will change AGAIN...

The Mifflinville job has been pushed to January.

So know I don't have the slightest clue WHAT I'll be doing.

Guess it's time to stand back and let the cake rise a bit. I'll keep 'yall posted.

Next time I get sent east, remind me, and I'll take the tombstone and press.

The Towmotor would certainly be helpful at the Bethlehem project, and I'll bet the TOD project, too... when I was in Youngstown last, Rick had a borrowed forklift of about 15,000lb capacity... apparently he had to drive it a fair distance on city streets to borrow it...

No problem . . .

Dave,

No problem with a delay. I just added a dividing head foot-stock (tail-stock, if you prefer) to my xtrucker_99 purchase, but it is a little guy and can probably ride inside the "tombstone" (angle plate, if you prefer). David Mix (Hephaestus72) will be holding them in IN.

Towmotor

Well I checked it out and the guy towed it back to his shop and fixed it and it is now in use.

I might try to catch him there and ask about it but I have a sneakin suspicion that if for sale it wont be cheep.

Thank you.

James

Forklifts

No big deal. Forklifts come in three price ranges- incredibly expensive, a bit more costly than we can generally justify, and just plain old dirt-friggin' cheap.

Looking on machinery sites, they're in the first two ranges. On Fleabay, you'll find all three. Local connections, however, will be the place to look for the third-range. I've stumbled across a few in the last few years, but never had the hot-cash or transportation on-hand to snag-and-drag. Usually, you'll find machines with worn out mast bearings and leaky cylinder packings, blown hydraulic pumps, shot batteries, or seized engines.

It's hard to find one in dirt-cheap price range if it'll still run and raise the mast- the price takes that last-call 'dive' when the machine becomes not only unusable, but immobile. When that happens, if you just happen to have a stout trailer with a powerful winch, or the owner has a new forklift that'll skoot the old one up onto your deck, you're in business.

When they're big, powerful, and dead-as-a-doornail in an inaccessible location, you'll get a quick deal.

When all is said and done, you'll have more money tied up in it... hydraulics aren't cheap, and if they're 'proprietary', you'll be in for some re-engineering, fabrication, and wrench time.

Dave Kamp wrote.

"When they're big, powerful, and dead-as-a-doornail in an inaccessible location, you'll get a quick deal."

That was kinda what I was counting on but the guy got it running and is proud of it. I talked to him and he wants $3500. I don't think that there will be any takers.

Thank you.

James

Sorry guys, had some medical problems.

Anyways, found the password, and got back in here to respond. I had a medication interaction that was causing severe insomnia, and high blood pressure. Didn't know what was wrong, thought something was wrong with my heart! Didn't want to commit until I knew I could drive a good distance. Anyways, is there a timeframe for this trip? I could most likely do it, just need to know when. Doctor bills kinda ate my $$ for a camelback though. :(

Jason, I'm glad to here that you dodged the bullet I can only imagine how good it must feel to know that it wasn't heart disease. Nice to have you back on board.

Thank you.

James

Dimensions on the press.

It stands about 7' tall, by 4' wide, standard H frame press. There are 2 legs on the base, about 3' long each. Given my tractor had a hard time picking it up, and it's weight limit is about 800lbs, it's gotta be close to that. You know, I have NO IDEA what I'm going to be doing when january rolls around, but if my truck is up to it, I think I can do this. It's not really a big deal to throw the press in the truck, and go for a drive, especially with the gas prices being lower. Heck, maybe by january, I might have the $$ again for a camel back. So long as I pinch some pennies here and there, that's could be a possibility. I think I e-mailed Tom some pics of the press, I gotta look for them. My computer is so disorganised. :crazy:

Thanks for your concern James, I really thought I'd developed a heart murmer or something. After a medication change, and some sleep, I'm good to go.

Attachments

• press.JPG
    press.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 140
Update

Sorry for being 'out of the loop' for so much lately- we've got a BIG home-improvement project goin' on, so I've been spending most every waking hour either ripping something off, or nailing something on, cutting out, tackin' down, stripping, and wiring... and writing lots of checks.

And as you probably have seen, my biz travel has been somewhat lighter. I believe my boss is granting me quite a bit of mercy, so I can get this house thing wrapped up. Fortunately, when it's all done, I'll be turning my focus toward the workshops... specifically, the foundation, floor, and buildings. Alas, it will be slow and tedious, simply because we won't have the fiscal backup of the banking world (they like houses, and ignore outbuildings). Fortunately, I've still got plenty of sweat left, and I've built up a fair amount of materials, too.

My next trip window is yet undefined- I've been put on something like six different assignments since before Christmas, and every one has been pushed-back to times when I had office duty, hence, the tasks went to others.

The most recent task was to send me to Perry, Florida, and again, it rolled to an unscheduleable point. My co-worker is making the trip. There's quite a few downfalls to this (and it really bums me out), but there is one good part:

He's willing to haul... at least, from Iowa towards Florida. The downfalls: 1) Coming back, he's full. 2) He only listens to cash... so if you need something moved down that way, and can accept the fact that he doesn't do things under the same economic pretenses as me, then send me a PM and I'll get 'ya his contact info.

DK :-)

Mebbie...

Well, I'm tentatively slated to drive from Iowa to south central PA on/around the last few days of March. As it is, this is all up in the air, but putting the word out just-in-case.

Back