What's new
What's new

Haulers' Group Official SUGGESTIONS thread . . .

Archie Cheda

Stainless
Suggestions may be made in any thread, but posts here in this sticky thread are more likely to get noticed, discussed, and implemented.

Suggestions may be related to anything, but the README thread is a first draft and I know it needs some refinement. It is my intent to keep the README thread closed, and to refine it in such a manner that all the most important information to new (& not so new) members may be kept on one page. If a suggestion is obvious, I will implement it immediately, but anything that bears discussion should be discussed in this thread or in its own thread. If an idea comes up in another thread, please do not hijack the thread, but post here or start a thread dedicated to the idea.

Thanks for your help,

Archie

Last edited:
First suggestion . . .

This one is for everyone . . .

When you post anywhere on the PM forum, one of the rules is to have a meaningful and descriptive title. When member of the haulers' group post in other forums (or in our sub-forum) it is a good idea to include either the name of the haulers' group (Antique Machinery Haulers' Group, if you want to be formal), or something that gives context to the title. Many readers of the PM forum use the New Posts function and all our posts (sub-forum or otherwise) appear on this list.

We have gained new members from positive publicity gained from the New Posts readers, but I suspect that many others have considered our discussions to be OT (off topic). As a courtesy, please spend a little time on your titles to make things go better for everyone.

Thanks,

Archie

P.S.: I'll try to help fix up titles in our sub-forum threads should anyone lapse in this regard. We need publicity, but good publicity is the best kind . . .

Ideas keep coming . . .

Something I have thought about from when the group formed is how to identify one's self as a haulers' group member (when relevant) in a post without distracting from the content of the post. At first I thought that using a signature would work, but the idea did not catch on with the officers, modest folks that the are.

I think we should be proud of our membership in the group. While we cannot possibly haul & save every orphan machine tool, we do some good and we need more publicity to do more good. With this in mind, I suggest that those of us that are comfortable with it, especially those of us that already use signatures in our posts, identify themselves as members of the group. It is also OK to mention the group in the context of a discussion in which we could be of help, but remind everyone that we are a volunteer group who may or may not be able to help.

By way of example,

Archie
Antique Machinery Haulers' Group Member

P.S.: Those of you who hate the idea, please just do not feel compelled to use such a signature and do not feel the necessity to debate the topic. This is one (of many) things that can just be an individual choice.

Back