What's new
What's new

Houston-SW Georgia , to get the K&T 2B

davohouston

Hot Rolled
Hello,

On Sep30 will be driving to Climax, Georgia to pick up the KT 2B from Ray French. I plan on loading it up friday Oct 1 and heading back.
If someone has something that needs to go east along that route let me know. On the return trip west I could take something if its not very heavy or big since I will not have much leeway on weight- not taking the C7000 on this trip, going to use my C2500 and a fairly stout lowboy to get the 5400lb KT.

Dave

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...iversal-horizontal-machinery-fs-forum-210561/
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/machinery-sale-wanted/fs-k-t-2b-universal-horizontal-210119/

Last edited:
Serial number is 23-1073. John Oder said his books dont go back that far but he thinks about 1925 and that:

(Sounds like somewhere along the way it got a 50 taper spindle since all they had when it was made was #11 B&S)

Dave

Good for you Dave - thanks for saving another. I figure the 1925 roughly by looking at the K&T lot book I have that starts with lot 1500 in 1929. If I go forward to lot 1930, that is about 4 1/2 years. I got a WAG by noting the lot 1500 is also about 430 lots later than lot 1073.

Remarkably the Model F DH I have is lot 1070, and should make a good mate for the mill even if it has to be raised an inch to be the 12" swing the 2B came with.

John Oder

Thanks John,

I went over to Andrews and put a deposit down on the 25in Lodge and Shipley today. This means between the 4CH, the 2B and the Lodge that I have about 30,000lb of American iron lined up for my shop. :D

Last edited:
Will be headed toward Georgia tomorrow-thursday sep30. About 700 mi to Rays.

Plan on driving most of the way and then spending the night somewhere past pensacola so I can get up friday and drive a couple hours and get to Rays mid day.

On the way to work today I stopped at John Oders for a little bit, took a look at the Greaves lathe repairs in work and also looked at the 1920 blue Lodge 24 in. Thanks to John for a donation towards gas for my trip to Ray Frenchs. Dave

Just got home with the KT- Slow going on the return trip. Left Rays friday about 3:30pm and drove 15 1/2 hours. 7am now and I think I will take a nap. Pics and story including the near misses tonight or whenever I decide to climb out of bed :D

First pic is the George C Wallace I-10 tunnel at Mobile, AL. that goes under the mobile river. Then loaded up at Ray Frenchs place, was very nice to meet him.

Another pic is of the trees in Bainbridge, Georgia- a pretty little town. As was Chattahoochee FL. Weather was beautiful, windows down cruising.

My old 93 c2500, turned over 243K miles on the way to Georgia and turned over 244K on the way home.

Borrowed the rickitty trailer from a friend, trailer was not too happy about the 2B on it. Had 3 chains and ratchet binders and 3 straps on it. Blew the rt rear trailer tire west of Mobile, AL on the way home. Had two spares and a floor jack with me. When the tire blew it wrapped a birds nest of tire steel belt wires around the axle and hub, I was well tooled up though and had good wire cutters with me, just took a few minutes.

Driving west and just getting to the outskirts of New Orleans all of the sudden the road turned into huge whoop de doos, truck trailer everthing flying up and down and it was ugly. I was only goin 55 but still had to jump on the brakes. I pull over to check things and found the big cast iron motor cover on the 2B was ready to depart the rig. One more bounce and it would have been gone down the road or worse.

The bouncing had bent one of its hinge pins which allowed the other pin holder to rotate and let the door fall off both hinges. nothing broke just a bent pin. I had a small strap across the door to help keep it shut and the door had slid under it and the knob was just barely caught on the strap. Lucky for me I stopped just in time. Grabbed that 50 or 60 lb cover and put it in the back of my truck.

I-10 west is so bumpy from 30 mi east of new orleans, through N,O which is about 40 miles wide and then 40 miles west of N,O that I had to drive 40 mph for well over a hundred miles.

Funny thing is It looks like in a month and a half that I will be going back to Rays. There are two other items there that are so nice that I really need to try and get them.

This next time I will either drive my C7000 or will rent a 20 foot trailer that has two 7k axles.

Attachments

• i10tunnel.jpg
    i10tunnel.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 129
Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia on this trip.

Something funny coming back a few miles after you cross into Texas theres a sign that says Beaumont 23 miles, El Paso 851 miles !!!! -still in Texas.....

Glad I was almost home and not going to old el paso.

Glad everything went relatively smooth Dave.. The 2b looks good. I'll have to come over and check it out some time. I just got back in town today.. what a nice day, its finally starting to cool down a bit.. making it bearable to work outside or in the shop again.

Talk with you soon

Andrew

Back