What's new
What's new

Oldest Monarch Still in use?

Mr Bridgeport

Stainless
Hi folks, I'm a big fan of Monarch lathes, nothing built like one. I have a 14" Monarch toolroom lathe that I bought at the age of 15. Have used it in several business that I have owned and its still in use today manufacturing special seals. Need to get another lathe because this one just can't take the heavy cuts I sometimes need. Leather flat belt drives just slip to much. But after 31 years of ownership, it will remain in my stable. Anyone else running a 1912, 91 year old Monarch out there? Thanks, Bill

Hmmmmmmm, could be 1921, not 1912, was 30 years ago when I wrote Monarch to ask them about this piece. The inspecters name is stamped in the bed of the machine, Karl Clarke I think. Writing this from home, not my shop. That always impressed me that someone would put there name on a machine for all the world to see. You know it passed inspection with flying colors. It's set up nice for a machine made in 1921, QC gearbox, double backgears in the headstock, taper attachment. Anybody else got one of these? Would love to trade pics. Bill

Hey I had one of those old monarchs for a long time myself and it had the same name on it.. Carl Clark...I wrote to monarch and they sent me some info on it along with the blueprints of that machine.. they said mine was made about 1920... It had a Lima gearbox on top that had four speeds... I scrapped it a few years ago when I got a Southbend.. I still have the blueprints around here somewhere I think... Mike

Back