What's new
What's new

Power Mg - module drive

donie

Diamond
I now have two lathes one mg and one module drive.
The mg has more power in the lower speeds up to 1200rpm.
The module drive has less power to 1200 but more power above.
The Module drive has enough power to cut metal fine at lower rpms but just does not have the torque of the mg. Is this normal?

"I now have two lathes one mg and one module drive."

So do I ... almost ... a '45 M-G and a '56 WiaD.

(The Module drive is a pretty straightforward improvement on the classic WiaD drive).

"The mg has more power in the lower speeds up to 1200rpm. The module drive has less power to 1200 but more power above. The Module drive has enough power to cut metal fine at lower rpms but just does not have the torque of the mg. Is this normal?"

Yes and no.

Both should be constant torque below the drive motor's base speed, and constant horsepower above that speed.

Trouble is, the M-G's drive motor may have a much lower base speed than the Module's drive motor ... perhaps as low as 690 rpm for the M-G and perhaps a high as 1725 rpm for the Module.

However, the M-G's control is straight Ward-Leonard, with neither feedback nor "compensation" whereas the Module's control has positive and negative feedback, and Monarch's unique compensation scheme.

There are no adjustments possible on the M-G, whereas the Module has several necessary (and required) adjustments.

Once properly adjusted, the Module's performance should be equal or superior to the M-G's.

M-Gs were preferred in some shops, possibly because the Ward-Leonard system was better understood by the shop's maintenance technicians.

A properly running WiaD or Module machine is a tour-de-force in machine control design.

OTOH, an improperly running WiaD or Module machine is a PITA.

"I followed the instructions on the module cover and set the compensation pot and the speed limit pot. The machine will hold steady rpm at lower speed under load."

Eggs-cellent!

Back