What's new
What's new

Newbie Problem.

Gear Head

Plastic
I am very new to EDM machining. I just took a class on a new Sodick Die Sinker that we have and now I am trying to make some burns.
The burn that I am trying to make is .0035-.0045 thick and .08 wide. This burn is going to be in a variety of materials.The materials that I am having trouble with at the moment are Inconel and Titanium. I am using copper tungsten electrodes and I just cannot seem to be able to burn this stuff very weel at all.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.Thanks.

lemme get this right. all the machine does is plunge and you can't figure it out? oh boy :rolleyes:

On a more constructive note. Might try to contact your electrode dealer. What settings are best for your machine with that particular material, etc. Tolerance and surface finish requirements will effect your plan of attack.
I have been into wire edm for just two months and enjoy it. Have made some interesting parts. Hope I never have to go back to mills or lathes. LOL

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but I have seen where using Copper Tungsten electrodes, that unless you have excellent flushing that the machine reads a lot of shorting in the gap. Increase your off time and add lots of flusihing even if the piece is submreged. Also have the jump settings such that the electrode comes further out of the gap but slower.

As for settings, I cannot comment on the copper electrodes, but the Poco EDm technical manual I have suggests negative electode polarity for the Titanium and either positive or negative for the stainless (inconel). I cannot remember which is straight vs. reverse polarity since it has been awhile since I have run EDM equipment.

I would suggest that you try to stick to graphite for your electrode materials and use teh Poco product if at all possible. The only reason I suggest this is becuase they offer good knowlege and support.

You may also want to call Sodick. Their applications guys can direct you to the proper electrical condition settings and or electrode materials for you application.

GH, don't even fight it a day more, contact
http://www.poco.com/us/
Then call an engineering tech there, not some BS sales guy with your supplier.
POCO guys can walk you right through it, with their product or course. they also offer a training class at their facility in Tx.
Good luck.

I made several burns in Titanium and seem to have that down pretty well right now. I made a few burns with a .008X.002 Copper Tungsten electrode with very good results.

I am going to be working with the Titanium again tommorrow and then I will be going onto the Inconel.

I'll try playing with the jump times and the off times and see how that goes too.

I have been running an EDM machine for a total of about two weeks right now. Thank most of you for your replies.

Back