What's new
What's new

Ludwig Gack Universal Shaper (Try again)

hsparks

Plastic
I've been busy all summer restoring this German shaper. It was made by Ludwig Gack in 1955. I haven't been able to locate any further information about the machine. If you have any information about this machine, please post.

The shaper head moves laterally (right to left.) The 'spindle' rotates to clear the tool bit on the return stroke.

Gack104.jpg

Gack105.jpg

It has a centering microscope:

Gack129.jpg

The dividing head has 2" of X-Y travel:

Gack128.jpg

The vice can be used on a swivel base:

Gack130.jpg

Or directly on the table:

Gack132.jpg

Thanks for any info,

-Hugh Sparks, [email protected]

Wow! I have no info for you, but what a neat machine! Mighty purty, too. I'm assuming that's the 'after' restoration. Got any 'before' photos? A very fine piece of iron indeed. Thanks for sharing. GsT

Hugh!
Exellent work, and a great machine. I looked in your album, it seems that a lot of the problems you encountered had to do with not having a proper press. I bought a very crude (made in India) press made from a 5 ton bottle jack for about $120 new, I have never regretted. It is a little wobbly, but it has solved a lot of problems.

[..not having a proper press...]

That's true.

I did buy a Famco #3 press for this project, but it was not big enough.

I visited a friend to press out the old drill bushing-bearing in the crank plate. He has a monster floor-standing Famco that worked great with a 6 foot lever.

To remove the tool holder, I was able to use a shop-made servo controlled hydraulic press at work. You can dial up the force you want up to 10,000 lbs. That was a nice rig.

I will take a closer look at the bottle jack presses. There's a Taiwan tool outfit in town that has them set up.

Thanks,

Hugh Sparks, [email protected]

Why don't you build an "H" frame press using a bottle jack?
You can do a better job than the cheap imports and size it exactly how you want it.

Hugh--

A fantastic machine tool and a fantastic find. I have posted links to your site and to these PICs here to http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Metal_Shapers . Maybe someone there--of the about 650 membership--will know something more or possibly have some literature on it. It appears to have been primarily intended for cutting teeth on gears???? Did it come with anything to properly grind the correct form of tool bit for cutting teeth? That would seem to be the hard part OR can the spindle hold standard circular involute gear cutters? For my standard Lewis-10 crank shaper ( http://www.lathes.co.uk/lewis ) I have made a special tool holder to hold these standard circular gear teeth cutters.

Art (Houston)

Back