What's new
What's new

Oversize threading tap

what was the charge to make that big
tap? i would guess several thousand
dollars? i would like to see a pic
of the wrench they use to turn it.
wlbrown

Widell used to offer a video of that slide show.
It showed in closeup detail every step of the machining process. The turning and milling parts were especially interesting.

Hi!
I do not know the usage or the cost. I found it searching some terms of cutting tools. On the picture with the text, It says something about "Turky", maybe the customer is in Turkey.
Turks must have large wrenches!
Søren

If you have a close look at the "stamping" on the tap it says... FP&L, Turkey Po... Which I guess is.... Florida Power and Light... Turkey Point Neuclear Power Plant: Good???

And I live in Norway......

Jan

The tap whent to Continental Field Systems in Savannah GA. And yes they tried to use it at tp for florida power. the tap cost $65,000.00 and was used one time to retrace the thread. it had 2 leads on each diameter and the tap was a failure. we wound up making a CNC machine portable to get down in the valve. if anyone needs one we will be glad to sell it...

Matirial, I couldnt tell you. it was one of the objects on the tour when i first hired on. i guess it was a bragging point about having the largest tap in the word. it was pretty cool though.

Also if you look on the tap it say "Copes Vulcan Valve." They are a manufacturer of control valves and such. That is actually pretty common in control valves however there are machines that can reach down and single point cut the threads. Check out CLIMAX Portable Machine Tools, (cpmt.com).

Back