What's new

Ohio Machine Tool Co.

• Thread starter motohio
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 12,877
M

motohio

I own an “Ohio” shaper, built in Kenton, Ohio. This week I had some extra time and I was near Kenton, so I did some legwork to see what I could find out about the Ohio Machine Tool Company.

The local library had a 1933 book of city history, which gave me some info on the early roots of the company. From there I went to the Historical Museum, which has no curator now and is in complete disarray. They sent me to the local Genealogical Society, where I met a group of local long-timers who had a lot of memories, and who set me up with several old-timers who I interviewed by phone. I also drove by the old plant and talked to one of its occupants.

The company was founded in 1890 by two men: Mr. Silk and Mr. Smith. It was originally known as the Smith and Silk Tool Company. At some point Smith bought out Silk. In 1895 the name was changed to the Ohio Machine Tool Company. A large building was erected, which burned in 1903 and was replaced by a new structure which still stands. Sometime before WWII, the company was purchased by a Mr. Swift, owner of the Swift Welder Company, and became the Swift-Ohio company. Operations were ended in the mid-1960’s.

The best info I got was from Paul Sloan, who hired on there in 1928 and retired from Ohio Machine Tool in 1960. Mr. Sloan worked “in the office” in some indeterminate capacity. He will be 92 years old on Jan 17th next year and is more lucid than I am.

Ohio Machine Tool primarily produced shapers and planers, and at one time produced a milling machine. They also manufactured machinery for other machine tool builders. They built the first DeVlieg mills. They built the Ryerson HBM for a company in Chicago. They built woodworking machinery for a company in Holland MI. They built some drilling machinery for the Defiance Machine Company of Defiance Ohio (another long-gone company). They built a batch of lathes for the American Tool Works for export to Europe which, due to the outbreak of WWII, were never shipped, and were returned, converted to English graduated machines, and sold domestically. During WWII shaper production peaked at 10 machines per month, including 16, 20, 24 inch regular shapers and 32 inch “Super Dreadnaught” shapers. After WWII the Ohio Machine Tool attempted to get into the special machine market. One machine was built for DeVilbiss spray equipment in Toledo. It was a disaster and the company lost a “ton” of money. During its final years the company experimented with “electrical controls” on some machines (unable to determine what machines this was done on). The Ohio Machine Tool Company ceased operations in the mid-60's.

Their building is now occupied by a rigger, Lowe Rigging Co. A social service charity occupies part of the offices. I was unable to contact Lowe Rigging, but several people told me that there’s nothing of the Ohio Machine Tool Company left in there.

No one knows what happened to all the company’s documentation, such as records, blueprints, and sales material. It is probably all lost, except a few brochures tucked away in attics around town. Just recently, Paul Sloan sent the last brochure he had to his son in Texas.

And that is what I found about the Ohio Machine Tool Company.

Owen McGee
[email protected]

Thanks a lot for the great info owen. I am in the final stages of returning a 32" Ohio universal shaper (pocket dreadnaught) to active service. It is a great machine and I never fail to be impressed with the workmanship and quality of these older monsters. Just moving them brings to mind many hair raising stories. Sorry I am not regestered, I dont own a computer (CPU challenged) and mostly just lurk in the corner. Also sorry about the lack of documentation on these machines. I would really like to get more info on the shaper. Would love to have a Ohio or Gray planer but just dont have the room. Keep up the good informative posts.

John

Hi guys, and wow thats great info about the research and wow WOW about the "pocket" dreadnaught 32" WHEW
Whose how what why pocket ?

sure would like to see pic of that instrument

I found a Ohio milling machine today it is in immaculate condition and its for sale. I will keep the story short. The machine was bought for a high school shop class had to be in the late 20s 30s.The school used it for a few years and decided it was too big for them. It was then sold to a lumber mill Brooks-Scanlon in central oregon. The machine was then sent back to the factory in Ohio for reconditioning shipped back to Central Oregon to Brooks-Scanlon. The machine sat on the shop floor for a few years story is no one new enough about it to run it.This is Were the current owners father bought it from Brooks-Scanlon and took it to his shop were it was used but not much. The son has it now in his home shop in 30+ years he has had it he has only used it a hand full of times. This is a horizontal machine with the original dividing head and tail stock. That's a power dividing head with all the change gears and mounting brackets. It also had a table that swivels on the X. I wish I had taken a few pic's but I know were it is and the owner is a friend I have just never been to his home before today.

That's about as complete a milling machine as anybody is likely to find. Only thing I don't see is a vertical head, but you could always mount a Bridgeport type to the overarm, if you have a need. Looks to be a universal machine, too. Pretty sure the table tilt is visible right behind the outboard bracket.

When I was making the clapper box for the 1951 36" shaper about 2004 I was able to get a few related drawings from the folks that had bought the assets of Swift Ohio - don't recall the name by then

Have a 16" shaper manual if someone needs a scan - just a copy of a copy. It was from member cpak - who last visited the forum 14 months ago

Have a CL listing from 8 years ago in FOX Alaska (way out in boonies) for a 36" Dreadnaught Universal - probably still sitting there

There is no vertical head but he has tote after tote of tooling. How funny is it that I crawled all over that machine and never noticed the tilt. The owner has the original manual he found it 30 + years ago at are public library.
How rare do you guys think this machine is?

The company was founded in 1890 by two men: Mr. Silk and Mr. Smith. It was originally known as the Smith and Silk Tool Company.

I've got a Smith and Silk 14" shaper so I occasionally do a search to see if anything new has popped up on the net about this company. This thread is almost always the top result. Recently I found an article from the 1930's that has some info, and thought I'd post it here, since this thread is the 'definitive' source on the net. The article states that in 1885 the "Lodge and Davis" firm (possibly the same Mr. Lodge as from Lodge and Shipley?) started a business focusing on in lathe construction and machine tool distribution. The article goes on to state that the Lodge and Davis firm placed orders for machines with many small shops and individual workmen. In some cases they apparently provided capital for small shops to get started. Apparently they placed an order for 300 shapers with "Smith and Silk" around this time. I don't know if this preceded the incorporation of the company, but this would probably have been the first large order, if not the very first order for machines from the original company.

Original article (a rambling survey of a small bit of US industrial history) is "Machine Tools In America" by Joseph W. Roe, published in May 1938 by the Journal of The Franklin Institute

I volunteer in the machine shop at the Minnesota Transportation Museum in St. Paul, MN. We have a WWII vintage Ohio Machine Works 32 inch shaper that we use fairly often. Our problem is that the mechanism to raise the table broke and we need to know how to remove the table to get access to the broken part(s). Does anyone know where we can get a manual or just an exploded diagram for this machine. The builder's plate says Part 1906, Serial No. 1772845.

Table comes off saddle, saddle is gibbed to column. Table is in two pieces

I would imagine ram needs clapper/tool slide assembly removed and ram placed in extreme rear extent of adjustment - so you can get a straight up lift on saddle

You will have to determine if saddle is simply sitting on top of vertical screw, or is actually attached to screw

Thumbnails are a few photos of the two pieces of table taken off my 1951 36" Plain

On Edit: Saddle gib cap screws are not small - take a 1 7/16" wrench

I volunteer in the machine shop at the Minnesota Transportation Museum in St. Paul, MN. We have a WWII vintage Ohio Machine Works 32 inch shaper that we use fairly often. Our problem is that the mechanism to raise the table broke and we need to know how to remove the table to get access to the broken part(s). Does anyone know where we can get a manual or just an exploded diagram for this machine. The builder's plate says Part 1906, Serial No. 1772845.

Attachments

• DCP_0623.jpg
    DCP_0623.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DCP_0626.jpg
    DCP_0626.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 437
  • DCP_0635.jpg
    DCP_0635.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 356
  • DCP_0641.jpg
    DCP_0641.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Table comes off saddle, saddle is gibbed to column. Table is in two pieces

I would imagine ram needs clapper assembly removed and ram placed in extreme rear extent of adjustment - so you can get a straight up lift on saddle

You will have to determine if saddle is simply sitting on top of vertical screw, or is actually attached to screw

Thumbnails are a few photos of the two pieces of table taken off my 1951 36" Plain

Your photos will help a lot. Do you know if the lifting mechanism actually turns the screw or turns a nut on the screw? If you have a photo of the front of the machine with both the table parts removed, showing just the cross slide, that would also help. Thanks.

Your photos will help a lot. Do you know if the lifting mechanism actually turns the screw or turns a nut on the screw? If you have a photo of the front of the machine with both the table parts removed, showing just the cross slide, that would also help. Thanks.

After a little thought, its plain the screw is stationary and the lifting mech turns a nut captured in the saddle / cross rail

I'll look at bottom of screw today - may just have a set screw keeping it from turning - or from being lifted straight up with saddle assy

Thumbnail shows the crank on the lifting mech - plainly it goes up and down screw along with saddle assy

Attachments

• DCP_0631.JPG
    DCP_0631.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 245
I'll look at bottom of screw today - may just have a set screw keeping it from turning - or from being lifted straight up with saddle assy

Yes - square head set screw about half way between front and left side looking from front. Bottom of screw plain round, not threaded (though may have a flat for set screw)

I would assume some sort of removable stop on top end of screw so you could not crank the crank to the extent of exiting the nut

John, RE: 16” shaper manual, Ohio Machine Tool. I am in the process of purchasing a shaper. Would love to have a scan of your manual if possible. Would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for your time and effort to make a copy. Let me know, thanks. Steve Haskell, email: [email protected]

Apparently not scanned yet. I'll look into that today

On Edit, scan sent - do please let me know if it arrives

There is a funny part in the manual about carbide tools from Firth Sterling (?)- must of been soft and tough enough to not instantly crater when it slams into the work piece - which was my experience with some less durable

This manual applies to fairly modern Ohio shapers - no cone pulley and square ram ways

John, RE: 16” shaper manual, Ohio Machine Tool. I am in the process of purchasing a shaper. Would love to have a scan of your manual if possible. Would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for your time and effort to make a copy. Let me know, thanks. Steve Haskell, email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Have a 16" shaper manual if someone needs a scan - just a copy of a copy. It was from member cpak - who last visited the forum 14 months ago

I could use a copy of that manual. I am rebuilding a 16" Ohio at the moment and any info on it would be appreciated.

Back