What's new
What's new

Hand-I-Hack, Model C, #1339H, LipeRollway

I bought it a few years ago at an auction. It is a pleasure to listen to it go "click-clack" through bar stock, while I sit in the shade and supervise. I am trying to locate a manual and the company was unable to help; perhaps because they are shutting down at the end of the year.
Does anyone know where I can buy an original, or copy, of the manual?
I have baeen lubricating the bar with Shell hydraulic oil. Is this a proper practice?
The gear box, which is sealed by a gasket, was dry with traces of some black residue. It also has a flathead machine screw, with what seems to be a +/- 1mm vent, on top of the gear box. Should the box be packed with grease?
What would be the approximate date of manufacture?
I would hate to damage the saw and any/all help would be appreciated.
Kingsley

Hand I Hack

Hey Kingsley!

You are the only person I have found so far to have a Hand-I-Hack! It is one of my favorite tools, for sure.

Mine came with what smells like transmission fluid inside.. Long story short, I do not have daily access to the machine for the next few weeks, but I can check into it.

Does yours also take 10 inch blades? I wish it would take 12 inch blades, since we could then use the tall cross section blades. One thing I am going to do, is put two blade stabilizers, sort of like clothespins, hanging down from the frame around the blade to keep the blade from bending and making cuts at a slight angle.

I have mine posted on youtube as of last week (I bit the bullet!) and the Hand-i-Hack was my first post! my user name on YouTube is itsmeBernie.

I'll be sure to check into your questions when I get it back in my hands.

Bernie

Hand i hack update!

Hey Kingsley

You have my curiosity going now, and I did another google search and an ebay search today-

First, it appears that they are from 1939 or around that time. I am surprised, I would have thought it would be a little later.

I also forgot that the patent number is searchable on the US Patent Office website, which I believe is http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm
I do not have access to my machine right now for the patent number.. but you can download a copy of the patent free at the site.

There is one on Ebay now, 5 days from completion, already at $55.00! I bought mine privately for $75, and is worth two or three times that to me- you can carry the little machine to the stock rack instead of the really long stock to it!

Bernie

Hand-I-Hack

where can I get 10" blades for this thing. I have tried standard hack saw blsdes but they dont last very long. Any help would be appreciated. This is one handy little tool

I have the Sears branded version of the Handi-Hack, and have found little in the way of resources, but there might be more from Sears that I haven't found. It's at least a good thing to know the rebranded version existed too. It will run a re-punched regular hacksaw blade at least for a while, as long as you adjust the lifter so that it doesn't slam it down hard, and don't tighten the setscrew on the sliding portion too tight. It has to move very freely.

I think the thing I like most about this machine is that it is so well balanced you can run it without bolting it down.

Hand-I-Hack blades

I found them.
MSC supply has three listed from $12.00 to $19.00 I order two of the $19.00 one's 10 in. I think 13 tooth. And I have some band saw material to try in the meantime. MSC blades are 1" to 1 3/8" tall. Is there any literature out there?

I've been unable to find anything, including whatever it was that led me to believe mine is from Sears. I must have gotten that info from someplace, perhaps even some thread here, but mine seems to be devoid of markings, or perhaps I missed the info in the poor light of my shop. So now I'm stumped. There's not much out there.

I did discover that it was originally made by Lipe-Rollway Corp in the 1950's.

Hey Bruto!

DO you have any more info on your Sears Branded machine?? I have been collecting info on these things for years and NEVER heard any other brand!! Do have any pics? I would love to see them... POssibly pics of the plate, or the info off of it? Then at least I can google around and see what I can find..
Such a shame it is so hard to find info on, and there aren't more out there- it is such a lovely machine. I would like to keep mine running for a LONG time!!

Hey Bruto!

DO you have any more info on your Sears Branded machine?? I have been collecting info on these things for years and NEVER heard any other brand!! Do have any pics? I would love to see them... POssibly pics of the plate, or the info off of it? Then at least I can google around and see what I can find..
Such a shame it is so hard to find info on, and there aren't more out there- it is such a lovely machine. I would like to keep mine running for a LONG time!!
I think I may have been hallucinating. I could have sworn I either saw it elsewhere represented as a Sears, perhaps in a catalog, or saw something on mine, but when I looked, I found nothing at all! I apologize for what appears to be a bum steer or a reference now lost and so obscure I can't find it. It's possible the person selling it told me, and if that's it, then he probably was simply mistaken.

Back