What's new
What's new

Rivett 608

hms50

Cast Iron
Good morning! Anyone have drawings for the Rivett 608 slotting & shaping attachment? This is one of the attachments that didn't come with the 608 when I bought it, and I would like to make one for it.
Thanks in advance,
Hugh

As you can tell by my name I must like Rivetts....but I don't have the drawing for that part....however I do have one....it uses the same base as the production cross slide they offered to set up the 608 like a turrent lathe....do you have that? ...if so all you have to make is the top part......another place you might check is there is a Rivett site http://users.easystreet.com/depmco/rivettlathe/ and someone there may have something......I might be able to take some pictures of this thing but I have no way to get them hosted on this site..(somebody help me, I still can't figure it out)....for those that haven't seen the thing we're talking about....it is like a little shaper that mounts on th bed with the ram facing the headstock.....it is great for cutting keyways or internal gears.

Thanks for your responce, it's good to hear from another Rivett user. Mine came with drawings of each section of the lathe and the original manual, but nothing about the shaper. From looking at sales catalogs and websites, it seems that at least two versions were offered. I don't have the lever cross slide, but I do have the ball turning attachment and that has a base for mounting on the bed. The catalogs don't show this, but thats the way this one is. Do you ever use the Homeshop Machinist Board? Thats where I usually post and you can put photos up although I had to have help to do it. This would be a great project and well worth making patterns and having castings made.
Thanks,
hms50

both the ball turning rest and the sloting rest use adapter "shoes" under them....however Rivett made lots of changes and some things will fit different model machines (like a bunch of early 608 stuff fits the #4)....anway I have a bunch of different type "shoes" that fit stuff but still not every combination.....the shoe for the sloter can be mounted inline with the bed or at 90 degrees....as for the ball turning rest which is pretty rare!!! mine uses a shoe with 2 mounting holes...does yours?..to make one of these from scracth would be a lot of work...but so is finding one....I have always wanted to make (would rather find but don't hold out much hope after looking for 15 years) the bicyle powered base for a Rivett #4 or 8" precision lathe.....anyone got one??? or even seen one? the Rivett catalog of I think 1901 did not recomend you buy this product of theirs.....so they must be rare.

I looked at the ball turning attachment that came with the 608. It does indeed use a"shoe" that fits the V-way in the bed and has two 7/16 studs to clamp the attachment in position. The manual for the lathe has a 4 page instruction sheet for the ball turning rest, (identified as 12-45-500) and refers to the attachment as 505-9B. It does not show the shoe but seems to indicate the attachment mounted directly on the lathe bed. There is also a simple plate with two holes in it for the studs to pass through below the bed. My lathe came with a tip-over tool rest which looks just like one for a WW lathe, but is of course much larger. I have used this with a giant graver with a lond wooden handle. It seems strangeto turn steel "free hand" but it does work.
Thanks again
hms50

I would very much like to get a copy of the instructions for the ball turning rest...if you could contact me directly I would appreciate it.......as to the tee rest I have been using mine a lot...that is one of the reasons I got the Rivetts...it is one of the few lathes with a carrige that also uses a tee rest that does not mount to the compond (the rivett leaves room for one's hands to hold the tool) anyway I have been turning metal free hand for years and it does seem a bit odd.....very little has been printed at this since about the 1860's however it was quite common in the 18th century after all the slide rest was not well known yet. Plumier (1701), Diderot (1768) and Bergeron (1792) all mention this. What kind of work do you do that you would use this technique? I am a model builder and am always turning complex contours.....also have you done any "fancy " knurling?

Hi,

I'll be glad to make you a copy of the instructions for the ball turning rest but I don't know how to contact you directly. Do I have to register with this board to get your email address? I don't want to post my email address here because of spam, I don't know one can avoid that problem. On the HSM board where I often post, all registered users can get one another's address unless the user has chosen not to list it. I earn a living as a school teacher and for a hobby,
a home shop machinest with a background in clock and watch repair. I've free turned on a WW lathe and just had to try it on the 608. The last time I was cutting a radius on a knob for an indexing attachment I'm building for a South Bend lathe. I've never done "fancy" knurling but would like to. Guy Lautard indicated he was going to talk about this in TMBR 4. Hope it comes out soon. Speaking of fancy knurling, any idea when Brown & Sharpe stopped using it on their verniers? Picked up a gear tooth vernier that has it on the locking screws. The oldest catalog ,(1943) I could find shows plain knurling.

Please let me know how to contact you about the photocopies of the ball turning rest.
Thanks
Hugh

The best thing to do is become a member (no cost) and then get to all of us.....I know that a least two other recent posters are also Rivett 608 owners.....anyway I'll try to reach you .....

Hugh- you should have gotten the pics by e-mail of what the slotter should look like. I would post them here if it was as easy as sending attachments on e-mail but haven't had any luck yet.

Markus

Thanks guys, I've regestered! Things are a little hectic right now with a new semester starting but I will start making copies of Rivett stuff today.

hms50, I'd be interested in any info that you have on the ball turning and shaping/slotting attachments for the 608. I have a friend here in Minneapolis that has four restored 608's and is always looking for information and parts/attachments for them. Let me know what the cost for the info will be. It'd be great to see!
Steve Jensen

Hi!

All I have is the 4 sheets that came with the ball turning attachment. I'm in the process,(slowly) of building the slotting attachment. Several others on this board were kind enough to send me pictures of slotting attachments but I have no "factory" paper on this device, just the photos from the ads. If you send me a mail address, I'll be glad to send you a photo copy of the ball turning atach. sheets.
hms50

sjenson 30, you are very welcome. Someday I hope to get some drawings done for some of the Rivett attachments and post them on the rivett board. many of them would not be hard to make and they would extend the usefulness of the lathe.
hms50

Hi,

This is a little off topic, but I happened to recall some Rivett branded collets that are collecting dust on a shelf at the moment. They are 1/8" thru 13/16" in 1/16" increments and marked 5NS. They show very little if any wear but they are stained and have some rust on the IDs. Until I stumbled onto this thread I had no idea what they were for. Is anyone interested in buying them? They would require some work with steel wool or Scotch Brite to get them looking good, but I think they would be accurate collets. If there are no offers, I might consider giving them away to someone willing to pay shipping.

Mike

O.T Any of you Rivett guys know anything about the Blanchard Pulsolator lube system manufactured by Rivett? I have two old Acmes equipped with this lubricator and neither of them work. I use stopgaps (gravity oilers and a homemade pneumatic shot oiler) but would like to find out more about the Rivett system and maybe try to get them working well. I have only operated one of these old machines on which the system actually worked and have never had time to dig in and really see what there is to it. any info would be appreciated.
Regards,
Tom

Good morning gentlemen!

The shaper is coming along pretty well although I don't get to work on it as much as I'd like. The cross slide is almost done,(I need to cut the dovetail) and the head is starting to take shape. Even in A36, it takes along time to mill a 3/4 slot 17/8 deep in a 3" chunk!
Thanks for your help everyone,
Hugh

Back