What's new
What's new

2J head noise question

I have a bridgeport series 1 with a 2J variable speed from about 1968. I have noticed a vibrating sound that comes and goes from the head. So far it has only happend when I was in the middle of a cut, but I can make it go away by a slight change in speed.

Something else that I have noticed is the High/Low gear change lever seems to be not quite in the right spot. What I mean is that I can just barley touch teeth in Netural and I need to run High range with the lever all the way up and not in the locking hole.

I am new to Bridgeport mills (I have had mine about 6 months) and I am not sure what to look for when open up the head. I just ordered up some CD manuals yesterday to help me take it apart. I am not sure if the noise and the High/Low range are issue are related or if I have two things to look at.

From reading the other post it looks like I should have a look at the variable speed belt and pulleys. If anyone has any other ideas it would appreciate it.

John, while it isn't a series 2 bridgeport head that I have, my Cinncinatti toolmaster has the same sort of problem. May I ask if your machine is being operated in a cold shop? I've found that after my machine warms up, or after I change speeeds a little the sound goes away.

Adam

John, most likely your clutches are worn out or the bearing on the stationary driven varidisc is shot. The clutches will be identified as the Spindle Pulley Hub and the Gear Hub. When you pull it apart, see if the clutch teeth are bottomed out. They shouldn't be. Bill

My garage is about 55 F. I was using the mill for about 4 hours and that was when it started acting up. Temperature is something I had not considered, I might try a worklight on the side to the head to warm things up a bit.

I did try run the motor with the High/Low range selector held in netural and the noise is still there. That is sort of a relief, because disassemblying the quil does not sound like fun. When I have the head opened up, I will check the clutch. Is the clutch accessed by the bottom where the cog belt is?

Thanks guys!

John,

I know why your lever doesn't seem to be in the right place. This might also explain the noise. It explained mine.

If you look at the High Low lever and the plate with the detents in it behind the lever, you'll see that the plate can be removed and flipped over. This is a wear adjustment for when the clutches get a little worn. I had to do this to mine and it tightened everything up fine.

If you look in the bridgeport manual they cover this and the purpose for flipping the plate. Mine is on page 33, the detent plate part number is 2J-605.

I have never seen anyone mention this before - I don't know if this because it is common knowledge and everyone and my mother knows it or if no one does?

Here is a quote from the Bridgeport manula page 33. Read both paragraphs as they cover two different issues.

"Hi-Neutral-LO LEVER:
This lever is used to put the attachment into either backgear or direct drive. Rotate the spindle by hand to facilitate meshing of the gears.

Neutral can also be obtained at mid-way position. After a long period of use, the neutral postition may cause noise( IN NEUTRAL ONLY) by allowing the clutch teeth to rub together.

This can be corrected by reversing the position of the detent plate #2J-605

HI POSITION:
In the high speed position (direct drive) the spindle is driven by tapered clutch teeth. If the clutch is not meshed tightly, clutch rattle will be heard. This can be avoided by moving the detent plate #2J-605 upward as the clutches wear. This is also the reason for possible loss of neutral, requiring the reversal of the detent plate #2J-605."

Whew that was enough typing for the weekend :).
Hope that helped,
Steve

[This message has been edited by andromeda (edited 01-31-2004).]

It was the Detent adjustment just as you described causing he problem with the Hi/Low range. I would have never occured to me to move the hole instead of the detent.

I also found the source of all the noise. Rust on the varible speed pulleys and three bad bearings on the front pulley. Apparently this machine must have sat for idle in a humid area for a while. I can see a rust outline of the belt on the pulleys. I cleaned the rust off the pulleys and have new bearings on order. I should be up and running by the weekend.

Thanks again!

I have adjusted my BJ2 head according to the manual and it has quietend the machine down massively however if I put it in reverse there is a terrible gear grinding noise.
Also if low speed is selected the opposite happens running normal its noisy but running in reverse its quiet. Any ideas as what to look for \ adjust?

cheers

Back