What's new
What's new

Hardinge Knockoffs

TomM

Plastic
I am one of those hobby guys that wants a nice lathe but does not want to pay the 12 k for a good used Hardinge hlvh. I have seen very few used knock offs for sale such as Sharp, Feeler, and Victor.

I have also not heard read anyone say they break or have any particular problems.

If anyone has some firsthand negatives about these machines please share it.

My thinking is that a knock off would be fine for someone that only expects to use the lathe very little and primarily to cut aluminum.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Great forum you have here.

Tom

I'd suggest looking for an older Hardinge HLV in decent condition. They're super lathes and would siut most of your needs just fine. Alternative would be a Monarch Motor generator 10EE machine which sell fairly cheap and are really good lathes. The Asian knockoffs of a Hardinge are second best options in my opinion.
Steve

An older HLV-H in decent condition is a better value because in 10 years time, you'll get back what you paid for it. Make sure the bedplate is in good shape. Original paint is a plus. Good luck. If you are in the Boston area, let me know.

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually bought a Hardinge knock off used with some tooling.

I spoke with several dealers that had been selling them for years and they said many of the same things mentioned here.

I also called several shops that have been using the knockoffs for years and all said they ran trouble free.

I am sure the Hardinge is a little better but it also cost twice as much whether you buy it new or used.

It is coming from Chicago so I will report back on the performance in about 2-3 weeks.

Tom

Back