What's new
What's new

On the hunt

Allen Elishewitz

Aluminum
I am "thinking" about acquiring an HLV-H but I am not sure if I should buy a clone or an older model at the same price. What are the differences in the machines throughout the years? Did it change much from 60's to 70's to 80's, etc...? What is a fair price for a good, tight machine? I have seen them from $6,000 to $26,000.
Thank you!
Allen Elishewitz

Hi Allen,
Depends on what your needs are, hobby or business. My business needs are such that I needed an HLV-H (english/metric).
I searched and searched too. I finally found a 1982 vintage machine but it had no tooling at all. The machine is tight and pretty clean inside and out and damage free. I paid $9200.00 I thought it was an ok price (anyone out there can tell me their thoughts otherwise).
The first HLV I ever machined parts on was a new 1977 model and since then I have machined miniature parts on new HLV's. So from a machinist's point of view I have not noticed any changes. If I recall correctly, the Hardinge service guy told me a little while ago that the machines have not changed since (1969??).
I hope this has helped you in some way.
smile.gif

Tom

About 1975 they changed to the current design...smaller DC drive box (rectangle instead of square), different levers, slightly different spindle speed change box. The DC drive box and the sharp edged cabinet doors are the main clue to the newer designs.

Back