What's new
What's new

Hardinge tfb lathe question

rich p

Cast Iron
I have a Hardinge TFB lathe that needs some work. The dovetail carriage bed has .003 dip about 8 inches before the headstock. (common spot) What is the best way to fix this. I have the machine apart now and was wondering if i took .003 off the top would that be the right direction to start? What about bringing tail stock back up? Thanks for any help.

I believe Hardinge used to sell the "stick" beds. I have seen them on ebay, but rarely. Last one maybe over a year ago.

I have no personal experience with a TFB or HLV. But from the general perspective of occasionally rebuilding machines, one concern would be that if the lathe had enough use to wear the top, it would seem likely that the sides of the dovetails would have some too. ("hourglass" shaped from a top section view).

Now you have to wait for someone who has really done it to comment if grinding the top and sides will make refitting the topslide, and tailstock true to the headstock, a no brainer, or a big inconvenience! If the gibs/adjustments on each piece allow it, these would seem to be about the simplest bedways ever as far as regrinding them.

smt

I rebuild hardinge lathes for a living. Simple answer, shim the bedplate back to the original dimension. You'll have to fit a new carriage gib. Yes, the top and dovetails will have to be reground.
Of course there is much more to it than the points I listed. Good luck.
PJB

What is the proper way to shim? Do you use plastic shim stock or is there something more to it? Can you use the old gibb or will that not work. Thanks for the reply's.

I use brass shim stock and custom punch out the screw holes to the bedplate.
How do you intend to grind the bedplate top and dovetails? They must be perfectly parallel with a good finish.
Bottom of carriage should be scraped to fit bedplate. Replace carriage gib, Check oiling system.
Before I start the job I check the tailstock height to headstock. A half thou high would be good. Also, check tailstock quill parallel to bedplate.
There are many things to do and look for but that is why I am hired to rebuild HLVH lathes.
I have developed a kit to make the HLVH a CNC and manual lathe with ballscrews and MPG handwheels. If you need parts, I have many.
Let me know and good luck.
Paul B

Back