What's new
What's new

Weight of BP mill?

bigais

Stainless
Does anyone know the weightof a Bp Series I mill and the correct way of lifting it to load on a truck with a forklift, other than very carefully!,sling from above,block and pick from underside, or lift eye in threaded hole? Whats best?

There's a weight breakdown at http://www.frugalmachinist.com/bpwts.html. The couple of machinery dealers I've watched use either a double sling around the ram (Bridgeport's recommendation) or the eyebolt. I've used the eyebolt moving mine around the shop with a small engine hoist on wheels, but it's a new bolt and I wouldn't trust lifting the entire mill more than the six inches necessary to move it. If you pulled the head and table off you'd probably be okay. I'd be hesitant about going underneath unless it was properly palletized, with lag bolts through the base holes...it's pretty top heavy.

Best wishes,
Mike

If you're going to transport in a truck, rotate the head down like BP ships. This gets some of the weight off the top and makes it a little more stable for shipping.

To do this; remove the collet & drawbar, move the ram forward all the way, loosen the 4 head bolts and rotate the head 180 deg. (you might want help with this), tighten the 4 head bolts, run the ram back until the motor housing touches the machine base, secure the ram, move the table to the front of the machine, put a 4X4 on the table, raise the knee until the 4X4 on the table is close to the spindle hole, move the table back until it touches the motor housing, raise the knee until it is tight against the head, secure the knee & table locks.

Now it's ready to ship anywhere.

JR

To: CRAZY PETE AND JR IOWA, thanks for your reply I failed to mention it has a hurco controller on it with the monitor and control panel but i have enough info to work it out.Thanks again you are all a great group. Dick alias bigais.

If this is a series I cnc R-Ram then remove the plastic bridgeport covers on the sides and you will see the factory lifting hole. if it's a V-Ram then sling by the top. R-Rams are 3500 lbs and V-Rams are 2900 lbs.

Back