What's new
What's new

leveling of hardinge lathe

noahjlb

Cast Iron
Just read a long discussion on leveling lathes in the general questions forum of practical machinists. Leveled all my other lathes but read or was told that on my Hardinge just needed to level the table so the cutting fluid went back in the sump and loose tools in the chip pan didn't slide ...because the hardinge lathe is on a 3 point mounting system and levels itself. Any hardinge experts out their who can confirm this or is this just a myth ?

Hi:
I never leveled my HLV and have had no problems with it. The manual suggests leveling it though if you read the original manual. They are so rigid I don't think it matters.
Steve

Hi,
The right rear round foot on the Hardinge HLV and HC is adjustable to take out any rocking motion. There is a set screw lock in the cutout just above it on the rear lower sheet metal. The bed is 3-point and sits on spherical washers because the base is a weldment and the cast bed can self align without causing any twist. As far as coolant drain, it will get to the sump eventually and I am sure the lathe won't be at any sort of weird angle other than just parallel to the floor.

Back