What's new

sleeves and bushings

• Thread starter atetsade
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 1,473
A

atetsade

I'm working on a Daewoo PUMA 10HC. This is a machine we bought and installed because it was in good condition, we need one soon, and the price was right.

Since then, with EXCELLENT help from this forum, I have been learning to run it on single phase power and operate the machine properly.

The turret has two basic toolholder provisions. One way is to bolt a big casting type thing on the "OD" of the turret, and it has a 2" hole in it. The other way is to clamp a tool into the face of the turret. 1" shanks there.

I'm trying to set up a job on the machine where I will be drilling a 5/16" hole almost two inches into some mild steel. I'm then going to tap that hole 3/8-16 to an inch and a half.

Some 2" OD sleeves came with the machine in various ID sizes. I have several 1" sleeves.

Is it the practice to put bushings inside a 1" sleeve to hold smaller drills?

I made a pair of bushings today with a tight 5/16" hole, 1.75 inches long, and the first bushing is .999 and the second is 1.001 with a decent finish and good concentricity. Tomorrow I'm going to use the surface grinder and a cutoff blade to slot these pieces. I feel that besides reaming the hole, this is the most precise bushing I can make on conventional machines.

I know this is a really simple question and something I should probably know in order to be playing with a decent 10HC, but hey.

Can someone give me a heads up on how to hold various size drills and such? For example, is the clamping pressure of my 12L material going to hold the drill ok, or should I get a couple allen screws dug into the shank of the drill?

For the rigid tapping, I have a 2" OD R8 collet holder and R8's by 32nds. I don't mind making bushings but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just get another one of these nice tool holders for the accuracy?

I've always had good luck with ER collets. I started out using them on the live tooling in turning centers. Then, in an effort to standardize, I replaced the missmatched to holding systems on the Vertical's with CAT40 ER collets. Most recently the manuals and the Prototraks have been standardized with R8 ER collets. I think holders and collets sets for ER32 and ER16 is the best place to start. Its nice when you can have all your equipment using the same tooling and it reduces cost of spare collet inventory. They are very rigid and everybody sells them. (I think McDonalds drive thru has added them to the menu.)

Atetsade, The way I do it is by using 5-c collets and adapters to be held in a 1.5" bore. The 5-c collet holds the drill, boring bar (for special occasions), end mill, center drill whatever. tThe collet inserts into a 1.5" dia. adapter, and is held in place be a threaded nut on the back side. Then inserted into a toolholder.

The DR series is the next way I do it.
Same principle. These are great, as I use them on my cnc mill also.

The last way I do it is by using a Jacobs ball bearing chuck with a 1/2" stem mounted in a 1/2 tool holder. (although, this means the drill bit is way out front of the tool holder, because of the total length of the package. Also not the greatest for concentricity)

how do you center up a boring bar in a lathe that is holding on by a collet?

Back