What's new
What's new

Jimmy's shop

conceptsmachine

Aluminum
Here are some pics of my shop. Not the best pics. The shop is in a 24x30 building that we built 3 years ago. We still have yet to do the painting in there.
I guess we were hoping to be out of there and in a larger building by now. There is a link to some of the parts that we have made. These were a few years ago, and don't have any confidential agreements. We started with the Haas mill. Its now 3 years old, but still running like new. Thats the bennifits of running lots of plastic.

Picture206.jpg

Here is our brand new lathe. Have yet to cut a part on it. It's been sitting waiting for some decent work to be put on it now for 2 months. I guess we should face the facts...there might now ever be any "decent" work to put on it...LOL

Picture207.jpg

Here are some parts that we did before we got the lathe.

Picture200.jpg

Parts

Parts 2

Whoa, whats with all the popups...? Nice looking parts and I love that you have been able to keep the machine so nice after 3 years. I am curious as to why you choose the lathe you have. A lot of others might have gone with a Haas lathe as you are already familiar with the control. Was there something specific about this machine that you liked better?

Good luck in the future.

Charles

Hey, thanks for the posts!

Charles, the reason I went with the Mori, was because I got a good deal on it. Its a CL 200 BT. It was a floor model for a distributer down in Southern Texas. It was fit to go down south to a shop in Mexico, but they backed out of the deal. I know the controls on the Mori, as well as the Haas lathes, but mori lathes last forever. IMO they are the best lathe made. Another reason I got it is the resale value is at the top for Mori lathes. Haas resale is very low. I tried several places to get a newer used lathe, and the Mori was always the highest. In case I ever go down the tubes, which is looking more and more inevitable every day, at least I won't take a huge hit. One last thing, it is also considered a new machine tool, thus I get to depreciate it for tax purposes.

I worked with Yamazen, which was a machine tool distributer of the Mori line, so it helps to have a few salesmen contacts. I wish I had such contacts when it comes to finding jobs to put on these things.

Jimmy

Im glad to hear you got a good deal, When you mentioned that you were not running the machine much I was curious why you would have spent so much more when you could get a Haas for less. Hopefully you wont have to pass that good deal on to anyone else.

Best wishes
Charles

Haas resale is very low
That's a surprising statement because I've found just the opposite to be the case. In fact, I would say that Haas prices deterioate less in the used market than any other make from a percentage standpoint.

As someone who deals in used CNC machines, I've never been sucessful in buying a used Haas, as they consistantly sell so close to new price there is no profit possiblites in buying one.

Whenever someone calls me looking for a used Haas I tell 'em to forget it and just buy a new one if obsessed with Haas, as it's like tying to buy a late model used Honda Accord...used prices so close to new you'd be a fool to buy used.

Having said that, I'm thinking specifically about Haas VMC's..perhaps it's a different story with Haas lathes ? :confused:

Wille, where do you see in my post that I'm recommending a Haas lathe over a Mori Seiki ? I'm just stating the reality of the marketplace, not my recommendations on what to buy. Personally I think it's ridiculous that used Haas VMC's command so much money.

I would have bought a two or three year old Mori Seiki VMC over a new Haas (i.e. similar price but way more machine with the Mori)

DThomas,

hey thanks for posting. Haas mills have a better resale then the Lathes. I don't know why, but they do. Maybe its because the've been making mills longer, and they have the "quirks" worked out of them.

D, I did not really mean to infer you implied that Haas beats mori..... was just a statement that I believe to be true... that Mori rules turning. as far as Haas resale being low.... ALL RESALE seems low compared to what it sells new for when talking about CNC equipment. Haas has a decent reputation that is improving. The new super speed vf-2's were impressive at IMTS. If only they ran fanuc servos and controls.... I like the acramatic 2100's on my cincinati's but I dislike more and more the kollmorgen drives. Haas servos I can't say are better or worse, but my ideal machine has absolute pulse coders on fanuc motors and drives with a bulletproof control that accepts ethernet.... haas I think runs incremental encoders on non fanuc motors...

Back