What's new
What's new

My new shop with its first machine..

Jason Harris

Aluminum
Hi all, I have been trying to get the shop ready ofr nearly a week with the painting and lino etc.. It used to be my home theater, its a 12x18 foot room. you can still see one of the chairs for watching movies.

I just got the mill on monday and it sat outside for 3 days because the movers couldnt get in in the door the first time and didn't come back after calling them for a couple of days.. On the last night I woke up at 3am to rain. I went to check it out and the tarp had fallen off and it was getting wet! I got saoked in about 15 seconds but covered it up again.

Next day I forked out more money to get someone else to move it. I pulled out the ranch slider so that it would fit but the wind that followed the rain brought the door down and all the glass broke :(

Anyway, right now its all there and I just have too build the phase converter. You can see the 7.5 hp motor that I will use. Because I live in New Zealand I have to get a 240-415 transformer made to get it going.

I got a vice and 10" rotary table with the mill as well as a 3 axis dro. I am looking to add a 16"x40" lathe with dro as well but I have to sell some of that gear that used to live in the home theater first. Hopefully within a couple of months.

In the meantime I have a lot to learn because I have never used a mill, just have lots of projects I want to do!

I do have a woodshop but its a little messy to show

Thanks,
Jason

millinshop.jpg

A brand new mill, a TV, and an easy chair, what else could a guy want?
It won't be long until that room is full. Welcome to the forum.

you know i read a lot here about you guys having trouble moving these machines in.
i've always rotated the head putting the motor down so the profile is shorter,or am i missing something here :D ...jim

Till now I thought the competition was about bigger and more shiny machines in the shop. But I see that I also have to look for a bigger and more comfortable lounge chair in order to catch up in the race for the best and ultimate homeshop.
Well, at least my wife doesn't bug me about anything I do as a Homeshop machinist so I've and advantage on that side.
It looks great Jason, very promising, keep us informed about your progress

This pic would fit perfect in the thread "You know you're a real HSM when,,," & in this case "when you have a mill sitting in your TV room."

That is awesome,,hope you have tons of fun with your new toy.

Looks good to me. I just moved my mill into my little shop..... the table slides OFF real easy, and as mentioned, put the head upside down... and presto... it wheeled into the shop thru a standard 36 inch walk thru doorway.
I roll my mill around using a piece of once inch angle iron under it.... at or close to the balance point and then put a large old ball bearing on each end. I can push it around easily and almost with one hand. Also pivots sharply. The ballbearings were just old ones I had with about a maybe 2 inch inside hole thru. I trimmed the ends of the angle iron to fit nicely through the hole in the bearings. It works well with a one inch diameter rod as well, but that will slip around and go off balance and kick one way or the other. The angle iron makes that a sharper edge to hold better on the bottom of the mill and not swish around. A small hole drilled thru the end of the angle iron allows you to drop a small bolt or nail in place to keep the bearings from skidding off the end.
Works well for me for many years, and many moves of Bridgeports. Goodluck on your shop... surely beats a home theater!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have finally got another addition which arrived today. It was another delivery saga like the first because the guy turned up with my lathe on his truck with a crane but no skates.

All he could do was to drop it on the driveway. I told him he could take it away if he was going to do that. He made a phone call and said that he could have some skates dropped off and it would cost $50 an hour for the guy to deliver them from across town! I said do it because delivery was free from my dealer. Let them fight it out with the delivery company that doesnt keep the right tools on thier truck.

Anyway, heres the piccys. I am getting three phase put in from the power company and it should be done in four days. After two months I will finally be able to turn on the mill for the first time

I couldn't help adding a piccy of the new car
My wife is pregnant so she wants my isuzu for the kids car.. That left me having to find a replacement.... I have just done the first 300kms on it

I am kind of happy right now even though I am now a bit skint and won't see any new toys for a while hehe.

lathe1.jpg

lathe2.jpg

car.jpg

Hi.

Looks like a fun, new car. Congrats.

Let's hope you don't bump into any pregnant women with that thing up front :eek: If, you'll really maim someone unneccesarily.

A modern car is made to absorb as much of the impact as possible, if an accident happens. There really is a lot of designing and testing going on. Putting such a guard on your car is nullifying the last 30-50 years safety improvements. In Denmark such things has been banished completely (well, we have no 'roos).

Cheers
Erik

[ 11-18-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Erik ]

Yeah John mine too. Jason has got it way too clean. Until there are some half finish projects, turning stock, turned stock :eek: And a bunch of "valuable crap" tucked around and under everything its just a showroom.
I sometimes wish mine looked more like his though.

Is the cat also pregnant?

Can't you do something to hide all that open floor? Maybe you go to the dump and get a couple of truckloads of junk to scatter around so it looks like the shops that many of the rest of us have?

cheers,
Michael

The cat used to be pregnant but we since put him on a diet. The tummy went but it left a dangling fur flap :eek:

The shop is still new and I hven't turned anything on yet. I expect when I get power I might make some mess though I am trying to be good and clean up otherwise my workspaces get _really_ bad.

It wasn't until I stepped back from my drill press and tripped on one of the many things behind me while falling in to sharp scatterd things that I decided I had to be a little more organised... I suppose we have all been there but time will tell if I stay with my routine of tidyness

Jason

your being spoiled by all those new heavy duty tools. Your supposed to start out with a myford or a southbend, and then you will appreciate your industrial quality tools.

Back