What's new
What's new

School Machine Shop Photos

Work took me to the Naval School of Marine Engineering yesterday where I did my apprenticeship.

As I had my camera in the car I took some pics of the machine shop where i spent a few hours learning this and that. Pictures taken at lunch time hence looks like a ghost town!

I think they are all self explanatory.

P6110036.jpg

P6110038.jpg

P6110039.jpg

P6110034.jpg
P6110028.jpg

P6110035.jpg

P6110032.jpg
"]http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa317/DDastardly/P6110032.jpg[/IMG][/url]
P6110031.jpg

Wow is an understatement!
Any of you guys wonder if there are any schools like that left in the USA???- Nice to see that there is a facility like this still in operation.

Do you have a better picture of the green machine in the 1st picture- it appears to be a very nice small horiz. boring mill.

Again- thanks for the look.

Dan

Shop looks really super,I think you were spoiled rotten while you were there,thanks for the pictures.
:D

The green machine in the first photo is indeed a horizontal borer. Made by Kearns-Richards, Manchester. I've never seen one that small before. Looks as though it would be handy on a small ship.

okee doke. My dad was a 'tiffy back in the day. Served on Troubridge, Bulwark, Hampshire & London. My sister was christened on the London in '68... She's now a Obersturmfuhrer with the Inland Revenue in Cosham.
I've been to Sultan, Collingwood etc when I was a nipper (& too young to appreciate it) living on Rowner (when it was still being built). Dad was based at Excellent tho being a Gunnery Chief. Now he lives next to the HMS Cambridge gunnery range outside Guz (Heybrook Bay/Wembury).

The little HBM in Asquith's picture looks to me like a Lincoln-style milling machine, one of the first commercially successful machine tools, which predated Brown & Sharpe's knee mill. Does the machine in the picture have a quill?

time and date of the last post????

I don't know what brought this to my attention but the last post was 12-01-2007 and today is still Nov 30, 2007?????????

go figure --- ???????? it was made in Maryland USA

Markus

one stop work shop!

Very nice school yard you got there:)! Exactly what the world needs to fill the need for young, humble, dynamic and talented machinists.

The green machine in the first photo is indeed a horizontal borer. Made by Kearns-Richards, Manchester. I've never seen one that small before. Looks as though it would be handy on a small ship.

:D
Just what I was thinking. Like My shop!

Nice looking machinery!

chainz:

Take a look at govliquidation.com

They are the folks that auction off surplus military stuffs. They sell everything from machine tools to boats to ammo boxes (by the pallet) to underwear. I see machine tools come up occasionally. I got a good deal on an o'scope and some anvil cases a few years ago.

Back